By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

SMG will get most of the votes I think.

Around the Network

Was thinking for awhile which GOTY's were based on quality and fan acceptance and this is what I got:

1996 - Diablo (PC)
1997 - GoldenEye 007 (N64)
1998 - Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64)
1999 - Planescape: Torment (PC)
2000 - Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn (PC)
2001 - Grand Theft Auto III (PS2/PC)
2002 - Metroid Prime (GC)
2003 - Championship Manager 4 (PC)
2004 - Half-Life 2 (PC)
2005 - Resident Evil 4 (GC/PS2)
2006 - Company of Heroes (PC)

SMG for me.

I can't believe everyone is writing off Crysis, Come on.

Crysis just recieved the highest score ever given by PC Gamer (98%) and is looking to evolutionize the FPS genre.

Brilliant physics, realtime dynamic shadowing, near photorealistic faces, superb lightning, paralax occlusion, realtime weapon modding, Make n' Play Map editing, Future unlock of higher settings for future high-end cards with DX11 support.

Crysis new features from GDC 07
Crysis new features from GDC 07 - HD

The New Crysis features shown in the video:

1.Time of day lighting
2.Dynamic soft shadows
3.Real time ambient maps
4.Lightbeams
5.Long range view distance (upto 16km)
6.Parallax occlusion mapping
7.3D ocean technology
8.Facial animation system
9.Parametric skeletal animation system
10.Procedural motion warping
11.Object motion blurr
12.Depth of field
13.Breakable buildings
14.Breakable vegetation system
15.Advanced rope physics
16.What you see is what you PLAY editing system
17.Component vehicle damage
18.Next Generation physics system (nuclear bomb demonstration)

I'll give you some other nice Crysis clips:

Nanosuit Trailer
Nanosuit Trailer HD

Countdown to Crysis Trailer
Countdown to Crysis Trailer HD

IMO, it is the best the best candidate for GOTY 2007 at this point. Crysis already has graphics and physics that no console game will go anywhere near this Generation.

Crysis' Physics owning PS3/360:

:)

sinha said:
Clearly Assassin's Creed should be GOTY. There are tons of Shooters on that list, but AC is the only Stabber.

Was that a shot at me?

If so you should find other hobbies =)

edit:

PS - @Shio, I agree crysis is amazing on the graphics and I am one of the biggest supporters of the game on this site.  But I really think the game is outclassed in terms of gameplay by other games this year.  And many people have written it off since its not a 360/PS3 game and most feel they can't play it on their computer yet (hardware etc.).

To Each Man, Responsibility
Around the Network

Sqrl, It's hard to improve gameplay in the FPS genre, but Crysis' physics system directly impacts the gameplay, plus the realtime weapon modding (a first in FPS), the nanosuit, the destruction of environments, the brilliant and well balanced arsenal which includes guided missiles will most likely make it an amazing ride.

Here's the Crysis' arsenal Trailer:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/27162.html

shio said:

I can't believe everyone is writing off Crysis, Come on.

Crysis just recieved the highest score ever given by PC Gamer (98%) and is looking to evolutionize the FPS genre.

Brilliant physics, realtime dynamic shadowing, near photorealistic faces, superb lightning, paralax occlusion, realtime weapon modding, Make n' Play Map editing, Future unlock of higher settings for future high-end cards with DX11 support.

Crysis new features from GDC 07
Crysis new features from GDC 07 - HD

The New Crysis features shown in the video:

1.Time of day lighting
2.Dynamic soft shadows
3.Real time ambient maps
4.Lightbeams
5.Long range view distance (upto 16km)
6.Parallax occlusion mapping
7.3D ocean technology
8.Facial animation system
9.Parametric skeletal animation system
10.Procedural motion warping
11.Object motion blurr
12.Depth of field
13.Breakable buildings
14.Breakable vegetation system
15.Advanced rope physics
16.What you see is what you PLAY editing system
17.Component vehicle damage
18.Next Generation physics system (nuclear bomb demonstration)

I'll give you some other nice Crysis clips:

Nanosuit Trailer
Nanosuit Trailer HD

Countdown to Crysis Trailer
Countdown to Crysis Trailer HD

IMO, it is the best the best candidate for GOTY 2007 at this point. Crysis already has graphics and physics that no console game will go anywhere near this Generation.

Crysis' Physics owning PS3/360:

:)

Yeah, it does a lot of technically impressive stuff but that really doesn't make it a good game. Also, when almost nobody has a computer that can play it it doesn't help it much either.

I will say that this game is a prime best tech award candidate but if games like Heavenly Sword and Lair have taught us anything, really pretty incredibly looking games does not a good game make.

Crysis is the perfect example of why I prefer FPS on the computer. Unfortunately for me, my graphics card burnt out and I have no money with which to replace it... But, luckily for me, I think that Wii's FPS control rivals the PC, so I still got some FPS action other than BF1942 and BF:V (the only FPS that I own that my totally crap replacement card can run...)

Still although Crysis looks awesome, it won't be game of the year... Despite blowing away anything a console can do when these consoles aren't even two years old yet... Now them's fightin' words.

Sqrl said:
sinha said:
Clearly Assassin's Creed should be GOTY. There are tons of Shooters on that list, but AC is the only Stabber.

Was that a shot at me?

A stab?

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

Touche, well played~

But seriously, my point was that SMG is "completely different from the rest of the list". AC is only partially different. The game is still about killing people like a shooter is, the only difference is that the game encourages you to find clever and sneaky ways of doing it.

Thats sounds like a hell of a lot of fun to me and I plan to get the game when it comes out for PC in early '08. But it just doesn't sound all that different from Halo where you kill people, or UT3 where you kill people, or Bioshock where you kill people, etc....

Can you imagine if in any of those games they completely removed blood and instead made it so when you landed a blow the enemy flattened out and disappeared in a puff of cartoon smoke? My point there is that I'm sure someone will try to argue that even Mario is about killing..but really don't go there, its just not. I don't think even Jack Thompson would reduce himself to calling Mario violent..so don't be "that" guy.

To Each Man, Responsibility