By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
sinha said:
twesterm said:
sinha said:
The only question is does the Orange Box get evaluated as a package or each game separately. By itself Portal may be too small to be in the running, but with HL2E2 and TF2, the Orange Box may be third or fourth.

The Orange Box is a package, you can buy all three game seperately on Steam.

But you can't buy all three separately on the 360 (or the PS3 whenever that EA port comes out). Personally I think it should be treated like one game. The fact that the single player and multiplayer are so very different should be rewarded not punished. What if the single and multiplayer for Halo 3 and CoD 4 were sold separately on Steam?

It's the PS3's own limitation that stops the games from being downloadable and Valve's (wise) decision to not just sell the games separately in physical boxes.  If you buy the Starcraft: Battlechest you don't count that as several games, you count that as the games and its expansions.  If you buy the Guitar Hero version that has I, II, and 80's edition doesn't mean it's one game, it's just a package.

T he Orange Box is a wonderful package but it is not a game.

Around the Network

Here's some EGM info to add to your chart...Sorry no link.

1998 - Loz: Ocarina of Time (n64)
1999 - Soul Calibur (dreamcast)
2000 - Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2 (ps1)
2001 - Halo (x-box)
2002 - Metroid Prime (gamecube)
2003 - Prince of Persia:Sands of Time ( ps2/x-box/gamecube)
2004 - Halo 2 (x-box)
2005 - Resident Evil 4 (gamecube)
2006 - Loz Twlight Princess (gamecube/wii)

Thanks for the contribution Frasman, anyone else who can help out its much appreciated.

some older egm's
1991- sonic the hedgehog,
1993- Samurai Shodown

I HAVE A DOUBLE DRAGON CAB IN MY KITCHEN!!!!!!

NOW A PUNISHER CAB!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i dont know what i do know is it not going to be a ps3 game. smg halo 3 or mass effect it out of them

it not who i am but what i do that defines me. you'll never walk alone you'll never walk alone walk on walk on.

Around the Network
Lost tears of Kain said:
im guessing bioshock mass halo 3 or SMG

Shams once again, with so few reviews you know we dont know where SMG will end up

Not really the thread to discuss this, but...

GameRankings - the first 10 media scores. Average: 96.5%. 1 x 90%, 2nd lowest is a 95%.

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages4/915692.asp

The thing that sticks out, is the sites that usually BAG Wii games like nothing else - are giving it excellent scores. And quite a few pro-Wii sites haven't reviewed it yet (I count at least 10).

Ultimately it may come down to EDGE. Gave Bioshock an 8, and Metroid a 7. I really do think they will give Galaxy a 10 - and that will just about seal its position in the all-time top #10.

That said - I agree with you. Its still early, and it only takes a couple of crap reviews to drop the average like nothing else. I wonder what will happen if someone gives it a ... 4/10? 

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

It's a bloodbath between Mass Effect and Galaxy. The winner will be the one that can slowly crawl away to receive the crown.

This of course is true for all sites except IGN, IGN will realize that it's a match between SMG and Mass Effect. They dont want a Nintendo game to win, and they dont want to offend so many of their readers by appointing SMG's nemesis. So they will vote for a game that is in the same genre as the nintendo game, but inferior, and a game that is not on Xbox 360. In other words Ratchet and Clank will be IGN's Goty.

Check out the VGC Crunch this Podcast and Blog at www.tsnetcast.com

I'm sure many people will disagree with this but thats fine it is my opinion after all.

I think SMG deserves it more than Mass Effect or Bioshock for being the only game that really stands out amongst the major competitors. I mean lets looks at this list of major competitors...

Halo 3 - Shooter
Uncharted - Shooter/Adventure
CoD4 - Shooter
Assassin's Creed - RPG/Adventure
UT3 - Shooter
Portal - Shooter
TF2 - Shooter
Bioshock - Shooter
Mass Effect - Shooter/RPG
Super Mario Galaxy - Platformer

Just the fact that it is something that is so different from everything else out right now is reason enough for it to get consideration. But pile on some of the most technically and aesthetic impressive graphics available on the Wii, Gameplay that has had people aged 30+ getting giddy, one of the best soundtracks this year (GH3/Rock Band excluded), a complete facelift to a genre that some argue was dying out, and top it all off with the fact that ANYONE can play and anyone can enjoy it and I honestly think you have something that is at the core of what gaming is. And that something is fun, enjoyable, and brings people together and SMG does it best out of the group.

I love my shooters, and I love RPGs and games like GH3 etc...but I really think the way SMG not only sets itself apart but excels while doing it makes it a clear and easy choice for me.

To Each Man, Responsibility
shams said:
Lost tears of Kain said:
im guessing bioshock mass halo 3 or SMG

Shams once again, with so few reviews you know we dont know where SMG will end up

The thing that sticks out, is the sites that usually BAG Wii games like nothing else - are giving it excellent scores. And quite a few pro-Wii sites haven't reviewed it yet (I count at least 10). 

Exactly. And that 96.5% doesn't include GameTrailers's 98% score, so it will go even higher.

Sqrl said:

I think SMG deserves it more than Mass Effect or Bioshock for being the only game that really stands out amongst the major competitors. I mean lets looks at this list of major competitors...

Halo 3 - FPS
Uncharted - Adventure/TPS

CoD4 - FPS
Assassin's Creed - RPG/Adventure
UT3 - FPS
Portal - "FPS"
TF2 - FPS
Bioshock - FPS
Mass Effect - RPG/TPS
Super Mario Galaxy - Platformer
Ratchet & Clank - Platformer

Fixed.

Where did you get the incorrect idea that Assassin's Creed is an RPG?  Just so there would be another RPG on your list besides Mass Effect?

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick