By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
sinha said:
Sqrl said:

I think SMG deserves it more than Mass Effect or Bioshock for being the only game that really stands out amongst the major competitors. I mean lets looks at this list of major competitors...

Halo 3 - FPS
Uncharted - Adventure/TPS

CoD4 - FPS
Assassin's Creed - RPG/Adventure
UT3 - FPS
Portal - "FPS"
TF2 - FPS
Bioshock - FPS
Mass Effect - RPG/TPS
Super Mario Galaxy - Platformer
Ratchet & Clank - Platformer

Fixed.

Where did you get the incorrect idea that Assassin's Creed is an RPG? Just so there would be another RPG on your list besides Mass Effect?

I'm sure it got listed somewhere as some type f game with RPG elements since it's the popular thing to do these days.  Nobody really wants to make an RPG but they all want to have RPG elements so they can say it's an RPG.

Around the Network

from ign's pod cast they were debating smg or mass effect...halo3 was mentioned and all 3 went, not a chance for goty...

i'm gonna go with SMG...just because

twesterm said:
sinha said:
Sqrl said:

I think SMG deserves it more than Mass Effect or Bioshock for being the only game that really stands out amongst the major competitors. I mean lets looks at this list of major competitors...

Halo 3 - FPS

CoD4 - FPS
UT3 - FPS
Portal - "FPS"
TF2 - FPS
Bioshock - FPS
Mass Effect - RPG/TPS

Fixed.

Where did you get the incorrect idea that Assassin's Creed is an RPG? Just so there would be another RPG on your list besides Mass Effect?

I'm sure it got listed somewhere as some type f game with RPG elements since it's the popular thing to do these days.  Nobody really wants to make an RPG but they all want to have RPG elements so they can say it's an RPG.

I don't remember ever seeing it listed anywhere as an RPG.  I went to Game Rankings and it's listed as action or action/adventure in all the previews.  As for RPG elements what would they be?  The only thing I can think of is the fact your character gets different weapons and/or different abilities as the game progresses but if we're going to use such a loose definition for rpg then shouldn't Halo 3, Uncharted, Bioshock, Ratchet & Clank, and Super Mario Galaxy also be listed as RPGs?

Legend11 said:
twesterm said:
sinha said:
Sqrl said:

Halo 3 - FPS

CoD4 - FPS
UT3 - FPS
Portal - "FPS"
TF2 - FPS
Bioshock - FPS
Mass Effect - RPG/TPS

Fixed.

I'm sure it got listed somewhere as some type f game with RPG elements since it's the popular thing to do these days. Nobody really wants to make an RPG but they all want to have RPG elements so they can say it's an RPG.

I don't remember ever seeing it listed anywhere as an RPG. I went to Game Rankings and it's listed as action or action/adventure in all the previews. As for RPG elements what would they be? The only thing I can think of is the fact your character gets different weapons and/or different abilities as the game progresses but if we're going to use such a loose definition for rpg then shouldn't Halo 3, Uncharted, Bioshock, Ratchet & Clank, and Super Mario Galaxy also be listed as RPGs?

Slow down there Speed Racer, my comment was more a joke than anything and poking fun at all the games that advertise as games with RPG elements.

Assassin's Creed is probably not an RPG of the traditional sense but you do get more powerful as you go as you get more weapons and tools. The roleplaying part in my mind is the interaction with the characters and the story that takes place. If it fits better under another genre thats fine it really doesn't change my argument.

R&C is a shooter/platformer if you want to put it on the list, but I was listing major competitors and R&C isn't as highly acclaimed as other entries in the shooter category and is not nearly the platformer SMG is so I wasn't considering it a major contender. great game? sure, contender for GoTY? not really.

Finally, does anyone actually have a problem with my reasoning? it just seems like you guys are shooting at it with minor gripes and expecting that to kill the whole thing. In any case my point still stands.

To Each Man, Responsibility
Around the Network

Portal FPS??? umm it's not exactly your classic FPS style game.
Portal is a basically a really great puzzle game so it's a
FPP - First Person Puzzle.

Let that now be entered into the great book of gaming lore.

"..just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake"

The reviews are in...

Poll of the Day - Results

Which is going to be Game of the Year 2007?

Bioshock 563 13.77%

Halo 3 531 12.98%

Mass Effect 319 7.80%

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption 276 6.75%

Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction 558 13.64%

Super Mario Galaxy 1,843 45.06%

total votes 4,090

currently playing: Desktop Tower Defense (PC), Puzzle Quest (DS), Trauma Center New Blood (Wii), Guitar Hero III (Wii), Ghost Squad (Wii), Actraiser (SNES), Donkey Kong County (SNES), The Legend of Zelda (NES), Kirby's Adventure (NES)

will play next: Paper Mario (N64), Golden Axe II (Sega), NiGHTS (Wii)

Join the Ron Paul RLOVEution, support Ron Paul for president in the 2008 Republican presidential primary! http://www.ronpaul2008.com

Clearly Assassin's Creed should be GOTY. There are tons of Shooters on that list, but AC is the only Stabber.

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

it looks like it a war hero/cyborg against a plummer GO on Mario my son show the world that pasta eating plummer can go into space N.A.S.A take notes.

it not who i am but what i do that defines me. you'll never walk alone you'll never walk alone walk on walk on.

kopboi said:
it looks like it a war hero/cyborg against a plummer GO on Mario my son show the world that pasta eating plummer can go into space N.A.S.A take notes.

...plumber