By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - capcom not happy with darkside chronicles sales, mh3 + hardcore games talk

@KylieDog
Again looking for the bad side only, that's a shame.

Around the Network
Kenology said:
I notice in the interview they seem to be really down on DS and really betting hard on the HD Twins to come through for them. I don't think this will end well for them honestly.

I saw the same thing, and I agree.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Gamerace said:
Davey1983 said:
Gamerace said:
I agree. The core gamers on Wii have moved on to HD where all the Core games are. They may have a Wii but they'll buy NSMBW over RE:DC for Wii. Why wouldn't they? They have RE5.

I do believe '09 will be the death of 'core' games on Wii. None have sold impressive numbers and it's just easier for publishers to focus on the core market on HD where their core games sell rather than try to adapt them to a relatively unknown expanded audience on Wii.

To create mass success on Wii will require a radically new way of thinking for most publishers and developers. I just hope some are up to the challenge, because HD development is a losing game.

I disagree with this.  I don't buy the idea that so- called 'core' gamers have left the Wii audience.  Name one third party 'core' (I hate that term, by the way) title that was released only on the Wii that would have sold well on the HD twins. 

I can't think of one either.

This is the old blame the audience tatic (and usually done by companies before they go out of business).  If third parties would release good games on the Wii they will sell.  Resident Evil 4, despite being a port of an old game, sold over a million copies.  What I find interesting is that on-rail shooters are now considered 'core' titles.  Really?  Port over Resident Evil 5 with RE4 controls and I would bet that the game would get over a million sales easily.  Want Dead Space to sell on the Wii?  Create an actual third person shooter, remove the ridiculous amount of cut scenes, and it would have gotten many more sales (sorry, nobody bought the 'directed first person experience' lie EA tried shoveling). 

Nintendo has released some so-called core games, and all of them have done well (not system mover well, but well enough that sequels are coming or being talked about).  Punch-Out is nearing 1 million, Metroid Prime 3 sold a million, Galaxy has sold 8 million. 

Let's look at other good 'core' games that have released on the Wii:  COD:WaW has sold over a million, and COD:MWR is on track to sell a million. 

Sorry, but this idea that the Wii is 'only for families', and that 'core gamers have moved onto the HD twins' is complete BS that third parties have come up with to not take the Wii seriously (why when Resident Evil 4 and RE:DC both sold over a million that only more Rail shooters were made?-- Why didn't some third party also make more third person shooters?  It is because third parties do not want to take the Wii seriously.  It has nothing to do with 'the audience'-- the audience has already shown that they want games like Resident Evil 4!).  If Red Steel 2 and MH3 both end up being good titles, and they bomb on the Wii, then I might start to believe this argument. 

There is a core market on Wii.   It's referred to as the 'after market'.   The people who buy the games only after they have dropped in price because they're not serious enough to sit down and play out the whole game but they might have fun with it for a while so it's a good value for them at $20 but not at $60.   Also multi console owners but I already touched on that.

CoD is a pathetic example.   I'm sorry.  Saying the biggest name in gaming, with ZERO competition in it's field can sell a measly 1m units in a years time on a system with a base practically the size of 360's and PS3's COMBINED is not defending the Wii.   It's cursing it!    By that standard the only other game that could hope to break a million would be Grand Thief Auto.        If CoD which will sell 10m on 360 and 6-7m on PS3 can only break 1 on Wii  (even with simultaneous release and TV ads like WaW) then how can a game like RE5 which only sells about 5m on 360 hope to do more than 500k on Wii??       

Wii succeeds in other areas though and massive success not possible on HD consoles are possible on Wii.    Wii has more million sellers than the competition but with games like DDR, Hanna Motana, Lego, Ben Ten, Sonic, SW Clone Wars, fitness titles etc. which would never succeed on the HD consoles (at least not sell millions).  

There is money to be made on Wii.   TONS.  But not with the old manner of thinking.   Wii has a huge female base and even to this day, not one single 3rd party has figured out how to sell them what they want or even what they want.    Wii has a ton of old school / PC gamers which again is underserved.   HoTD:O was a good idea but making it so potty mouthed no guy can play it around their wife or kids was just dumb and another example that 3rd parties are out of touch with the Wii market.

With respect to you, Gamerace, I believe you have missed my point (could easily be my fault, I have a hard time being concise and to the point).

My main point:  third parties have never taken the Wii seriously and is only using the 'audience' excuss to ignore it further.  No one, and I mean no one, can name a single third party exclusive that would have sold well on the HD twins.

You claim the core market is the 'after market', but how do you know that (this was my biggest question when I read your response)?  Where are the Modern Warfare's (the breakout game for console Call of Duty games), the Grand Theft Auto's, or the Final Fantasy's?  I will tell you:  Wii gets a two year old port for Modern Warfare (with no advertising, I might add, but still on track to sell over a million), no GTA's, and no FF (Wii gets a crappy spinoff of FF, Crystal Chronicles).  You point out that only selling 1 million for a COD game is not that great.  Perhaps, but that is still $50 million dollars in revenue that is being ignored and I can't understand why any company would not want that.  All that would be required for MW2 to be released on the Wii would be a downgrade in graphics and take the control set up from WaW or MWR and put them on MW2 for Wii.  Yes, it would cost some money, but I can't believe it would cost that much.  The only reason that MW2 is not on the Wii right now is because of some (actually, I would say most) poeple in the industry hate the Wii.

Off topic point:  I wouldn't consider COD to be the biggest name in gaming (but I get your point, it is a huge series-- now bigger than GTA, FF, etc.).  I believe that Mario takes that crown (and the Wii series has several games that have outsold the COD games), especially considering how NSMBWii looks like it is going to outsell MW2 (I am not saying MW2 is a bad game-- I actually enjoyed it, but I am pointing out how Mario, which released a week later, is looking to outsell 'the biggest game ever'). 

Another quibble:  of course Wii owners will not pay $60 for a new game, Wii owners are use to paying $50 for a new game.  Also, the idea that Wii gamers will not buy games for full price is just wrong.  Nintendo games, which sell the most on the Wii, retail for $50 (Twilight Princess, a launch title, still retails for $50).  If the quality is there, and the game is something they are interested in, Wii gamers will pay full price.  Wii gamers, in general, are still waiting for a third parties to release something worth full price. 

I'm willing to bet that Red Steel 2 and Monster Hunter 3 will be hits when they are released in the West.  Why?  Even though they are 'core' titles, they are well made and are tapping into what Wii gamers want:  arcade like action (assuming they don't put many cut scenes in them).

I agree somewhat that old thinking has to change, but it does not neccessarily involve figuring out 'what woman want' (hell, if I knew that I would never get into another argument with my wife).  People bought the Wii for motion controls (not waggle) and IR controls.  Red Steel 2 looks to fill that promise, and MH3 appears to have that arcade like action.  Women are NOT a new market, women use to play games all the time--I played the original Super Mario Bros. with my mother all the time.  I now play NSMBWii with my mother and sister.  I play Wii Sports with my wife and sister.  My wife and I take turns playing Zelda games.  

We don't know how these good third party titles will sell on the Wii because third parties do not bring these games to the Wii and then they claim that these games won't sell on the Wii because things like rail shooters are not selling.  Please.

@Davey1983
Well, you have a good point. I agree with you (except for Monster Hunter 3, I think this game could sell well on HD consoles too).

KylieDog said:

So what I gather from all this is Wii only owners do not want new IPs in traditionally 'core' genres.   SEGA tried to deliver them with House of the Dead Overkill, Madworld and The Conduit but nobody wanted them and few people bought them.   Make whatever excuses you want for those games but I will find a HD game for each that has the same/similar/worse problems and sold better.

What Wii only owners are saying is games like Resident Evil 4, Modern Warfare Reflex sell great on Wii and they want those and their sequels which are all on HD consoles?

I think the answer is obvious:   You want HD games.  So go buy a PS3 or 360 instead of complaining that the Wii is not getting them.  Every gamer knows every console gets exclusive games and you have a make a choice over what you value more and then just accept that. I'm guessing a lot of Wii owners like Nintendo games, so you made your choice.  360 owners may like Halo or Gears of War so picked that, PS3 owners may like Gran Turismo or God of War so picked that.

If you think you made the wrong choice then either buy a second console or sell the one you own and buy the second with that money.  For heavens sakes though don't complain every single time your console doesn't get a game you might enjoy.

Agreed,  thats why i bought a 360 and will buy a Wii,  cause they have games that I want and werent available on the console I had

Around the Network
Hisiru said:
@Davey1983
Well, you have a good point. I agree with you (except for Monster Hunter 3, I think this game could sell well on HD consoles too).

Actually, I believe you are right about MH3.  That is one reason I am very interested in its sales when it comes out (in the West, it had pretty good sales in Japan).  I believe it will be the first third party exclusive game released on Wii that would have sold well on the HD consoles. 

Because of that I consider MH3 the true test of what games will sell on the Wii.  If it bombs, I might have to concede that I am wrong.  If it does well, then I will feel vindicated and use it as proof that I am right.  For the record, I consider 500,000 in the west (America's + others) to be succesful for this game (and in line with what the PSP games have sold).

KylieDog said:
Hisiru said:
KylieDog said:
HD Market is flooded with FPS games yet they manage to keep selling fine.

This "Too many rail shooters" excuse does not cut it.

Maybe wii owners wants to be flooded with FPS games and not On-rails?

-Edit-

And I agree with Lolcislaw. FPS games are much more popular and appeal to more players. Bad comparison

Should have bought The COnduit then.  Even Haze managed 800k despite HD consoles flooded with more FPS games than Wii is with rail shooters.

I'd advise them to buy Modern Warfare Reflex. It is much better than the Conduit, much, much better.

It might not be an original or exclusive game but it suits Wii owners like me that a) don't want to revert back to pads too frequently and b) only have a Wii.

The issue for me is that Capcom could develop serious 'gamer' type IPs but chooses not to do so.

Just like to add that yes I bought Ghost Squad, HOTD Overkill, RE:UC, Dead Space Extraction and RE:DC and loved them all.

Yes.

www.spacemag.org - contribute your stuff... satire, comics, ideas, debate, stupidy stupid etc.

wait House of the Dead Overkill didn't make money? what the hell Sega?!
when the game barelly passed 200k Headstrong Games released a statement that the game made profit and that they want to make a sequel. now it passed 500k and it's still selling.

from what i know Darkside Chronicles is selling very well - right it sells better every week.

Davey1983 said:
Hisiru said:
@Davey1983

Actually, I believe you are right about MH3.  That is one reason I am very interested in its sales when it comes out (in the West, it had pretty good sales in Japan).  I believe it will be the first third party exclusive game released on Wii that would have sold well on the HD consoles. 

Because of that I consider MH3 the true test of what games will sell on the Wii.  If it bombs, I might have to concede that I am wrong.  If it does well, then I will feel vindicated and use it as proof that I am right.  For the record, I consider 500,000 in the west (America's + others) to be succesful for this game (and in line with what the PSP games have sold).

This makes a lot of sense. Now that you said that, I am much more interested in the MH3 sales.

yup, but that's too bad, this game deserve more.