By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - "Sega" Nintendo could drop the Wii price to $80 and still make a profit

Mr Khan said:

It was on a 1up podcast, right? This sort of thing is understandable. He's saying what the podcast's audience wants to hear.

Who's the podcasts audience?

Around the Network

If this is true it only proves that Nintendo knows what they are doing while the other "two" do not.

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

Kenology said:
SmokedHostage said:
What is this? SEGA trolls Nintendo week?

I thought they were done with that 16 years ago.

Then again the "Wii is the world's most expensive board game" comes to mind.

They just wish they were still in the hardware business - just a wee bit of bitterness is all!

Also, wha'sup with the Wii Bingo comment of 'people only buying Wii Sports'.  I mean c'mon, I thought we were past all this!

Edit: How long before Carl posts this up as "news"?  lol

Hey, on slow news days/weeks... Anything goes

OT: Doubt it. Even then, Ninty aint insane.

foxxycontin said:
Mr Khan said:

It was on a 1up podcast, right? This sort of thing is understandable. He's saying what the podcast's audience wants to hear.

Well, 1up has never established themselves as a friend to the Nintendo fanboy, and i imagine the audience reflects that mindset somewhat

granted that the audience for most of these gaming sites is largely made up of individuals who have less interest in Nintendo than its competitors.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

This guy is so red ocean minded =D

Nintendo is the best videogames company ever!

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:
foxxycontin said:
Mr Khan said:

Well, 1up has never established themselves as a friend to the Nintendo fanboy, and i imagine the audience reflects that mindset somewhat

granted that the audience for most of these gaming sites is largely made up of individuals who have less interest in Nintendo than its competitors.

I really doubt that sites like 1up and others hate Nintendo. Plus 1up was recently bought and they fired many of their original employees. So like any business, they would want to cater to as big of an audience as they can.

foxxycontin said:
alfredofroylan said:
foxxycontin said:
The Gamecube actually cost around $80 in 2005, one year before the Wii released. So this actually makes sense.

The cube price was only for clearance, it's not the same situation.

The price wasn't for clearance. I could find people buying Gamecubes for $100 right before the Wii came out. Also how is it a clearance one year before a console ships?

Here's proof that the price was $100 and surprisingly that was in 2003.

http://cube.ign.com/articles/451/451364p1.html

that's not what he was talking about, he was saying the cube was $50, which it never was.  There was a sale on amazon sometime early last year where they sold the GC for $50, but it was just a clearance on amazon.  Wal-mart was giving away $100 gift cards when you buy a $200 system, doesn't mean anything. 

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

johnsobas said:
foxxycontin said:
alfredofroylan said:
foxxycontin said:
The Gamecube actually cost around $80 in 2005, one year before the Wii released. So this actually makes sense.

The cube price was only for clearance, it's not the same situation.

The price wasn't for clearance. I could find people buying Gamecubes for $100 right before the Wii came out. Also how is it a clearance one year before a console ships?

Here's proof that the price was $100 and surprisingly that was in 2003.

http://cube.ign.com/articles/451/451364p1.html

that's not what he was talking about, he was saying the cube was $50, which it never was.  There was a sale on amazon sometime early last year where they sold the GC for $50, but it was just a clearance on amazon.  Wal-mart was giving away $100 gift cards when you buy a $200 system, doesn't mean anything. 

The point I was trying to say was, they were selling it for $100 in 2003. The Wii is just a Gamecube overclocked twice as fast. This goes into the conversation of if its possible for Nintendo to make a profit if the Wii was $80. I personally think it'd be a little more than that, but still, selling a Gamecube for $100 and still making a profit off of it says something.

foxxycontin said:
johnsobas said:

The point I was trying to say was, they were selling it for $100 in 2003. The Wii is just a Gamecube overclocked twice as fast. This goes into the conversation of if its possible for Nintendo to make a profit if the Wii was $80. I personally think it'd be a little more than that, but still, selling a Gamecube for $100 and still making a profit off of it says something.

I don't think that really captures the difference between the systems on any level

Khuutra said:
foxxycontin said:
johnsobas said:

I don't think that really captures the difference between the systems on any level

What's so different between them then?