By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - "Sega" Nintendo could drop the Wii price to $80 and still make a profit

Why would any company in the market of making games want to state something bad about any console on the market where their games are sold? Hello idiots! Your paycheck depends on these consoles doing well. Talk the consoles up not down!

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.

Around the Network
foxxycontin said:
Khuutra said:
foxxycontin said:

The point I was trying to say was, they were selling it for $100 in 2003. The Wii is just a Gamecube overclocked twice as fast. This goes into the conversation of if its possible for Nintendo to make a profit if the Wii was $80. I personally think it'd be a little more than that, but still, selling a Gamecube for $100 and still making a profit off of it says something.

I don't think that really captures the difference between the systems on any level

What's so different between them then?

Hard to get into because Nintendo doesn't actually release hardware specs for the damn thing, but the sensor bar, the included Wii remote (much more complicated than a Gamecube controller), thee flash memory, the slot-loading DVD tray, the little blue glowing LED thing.... that's not even getting into the technical differences between the machines because I don't know them, but the Wii has been pulling off games that would be impossible on the Gamecube for a while now and there's a lot more than just overclocking the Gamecube's processor

Hell

You'd need a whole other Gamecube and some tape at the least

Khuutra said:
foxxycontin said:
Khuutra said:
foxxycontin said:

The point I was trying to say was, they were selling it for $100 in 2003. The Wii is just a Gamecube overclocked twice as fast. This goes into the conversation of if its possible for Nintendo to make a profit if the Wii was $80. I personally think it'd be a little more than that, but still, selling a Gamecube for $100 and still making a profit off of it says something.

I don't think that really captures the difference between the systems on any level

What's so different between them then?

Hard to get into because Nintendo doesn't actually release hardware specs for the damn thing, but the sensor bar, the included Wii remote (much more complicated than a Gamecube controller), thee flash memory, the slot-loading DVD tray, the little blue glowing LED thing.... that's not even getting into the technical differences between the machines because I don't know them, but the Wii has been pulling off games that would be impossible on the Gamecube for a while now and there's a lot more than just overclocking the Gamecube's processor

Hell

You'd need a whole other Gamecube and some tape at the least

Those little differences do make them slightly different in their own way. Though you remember reading years before the Wii was ever released that Nintendo was planning on releasing motion controls for the Gamecube? They eventually scrapped those ideas and made an entirely new console around that concept which was the Wii. Well...I wouldn't say its entirely new considering the guts of the system are basically the same as the Gamecube, but I can't help but feel we were a little screwed over.

This thread is total fail, and most of the comments are total fail.

Talk about rampant ignorance, go LISTEN to the podcast. You will learn two things

1) He said "well, not really" or something to that effect after he said Nintendo could sell Wii for 80$ - his entire tone and manner were totally facetious, he was joking around -it was not intended to be a serious statement. He followed up by saying the point was Nintendo still has room to reduce price, Sony and MS not so much.

2) Hes an extremely bright guy with tons of insight and it is an amazing podcast filled with all sorts of interesting information. Like how much NPD is off ( as much as 30% under ), how much it costs to fully localize and market a game like Yakuza 3 ( 6-700k ) , and a couple odd decades of computer science and game industry experience.. and he is extremely forthcoming and open about things where most ppl say "no comment" Probably the best, most enlightening industry interviews in years.

Xelloss said:

This thread is total fail, and most of the comments are total fail.

Talk about rampant ignorance, go LISTEN to the podcast. You will learn two things

1) He said "well, not really" or something to that effect after he said Nintendo could sell Wii for 80$ - his entire tone and manner were totally facetious, he was joking around -it was not intended to be a serious statement. He followed up by saying the point was Nintendo still has room to reduce price, Sony and MS not so much.

2) Hes an extremely bright guy with tons of insight and it is an amazing podcast filled with all sorts of interesting information. Like how much NPD is off ( as much as 30% under ), how much it costs to fully localize and market a game like Yakuza 3 ( 6-700k ) , and a couple odd decades of computer science and game industry experience.. and he is extremely forthcoming and open about things where most ppl say "no comment" Probably the best, most enlightening industry interviews in years.

I admit that what you have said is interesting enough that now I'm tempted to go download said podcast.

Particularly the NPD bit.

Around the Network

If 80 percent of the people are not buying games ... than the other 20 percent must be buying two and three copies of some games (do the math).

This person's comments are getting much more credit than they deserve. One developer does not speak for a company. We need to remember that.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Xen said:
The insides of the thing are quite outdated, and since the Nintendo sold the GC for $50, then yes, he may be right.

Actually, that was never an official price. The final MSRP from Nintendo was $99.99. Some stores, to clear them out early, clearanced them to $79.99 while they were still relatively easy to sell. The price of $49.99 was after the 360 was out, Wii was about to come out, GC sales were practically dead, and stores trying to stubbornly get the $100 price found they just couldn't sell them anymore.

In fact, if you looked around at the last batch of Circuit City stores going out of business, you could occasionally find a Gamecube, sitting unwanted, with a sticker price of $99.99, less whatever pitiful percentage off they were doing on it. (3 weeks before my store closed, it was only 25% off.)

As for this idiot (at Sega), personally, I hope that Sega fires him for running his mouth. With all the partnerships Nintendo and Sega have been doing lately, for Sega to condone one of their employees doing this in their name would speak ill to Nintendo about said relationship. I'm not going to hold Sega responsible for these words, unless they send a PR person to back them up.

-dunno001

-On a quest for the truly perfect game; I don't think it exists...

dunno001 said:

Xen said:
The insides of the thing are quite outdated, and since the Nintendo sold the GC for $50, then yes, he may be right.

Actually, that was never an official price. The final MSRP from Nintendo was $99.99. Some stores, to clear them out early, clearanced them to $79.99 while they were still relatively easy to sell. The price of $49.99 was after the 360 was out, Wii was about to come out, GC sales were practically dead, and stores trying to stubbornly get the $100 price found they just couldn't sell them anymore.

In fact, if you looked around at the last batch of Circuit City stores going out of business, you could occasionally find a Gamecube, sitting unwanted, with a sticker price of $99.99, less whatever pitiful percentage off they were doing on it. (3 weeks before my store closed, it was only 25% off.)

As for this idiot (at Sega), personally, I hope that Sega fires him for running his mouth. With all the partnerships Nintendo and Sega have been doing lately, for Sega to condone one of their employees doing this in their name would speak ill to Nintendo about said relationship. I'm not going to hold Sega responsible for these words, unless they send a PR person to back them up.

You should really take my previous advice, before commenting further. Listening to an interview, or reading it is usually necessary to make valid statements about said interview. Your comments continue to prove this point.

I would so buy a wii @ $80 in an instant if it dropped that low.

Xelloss said:

You should really take my previous advice, before commenting further. Listening to an interview, or reading it is usually necessary to make valid statements about said interview. Your comments continue to prove this point.

I listen the thing, and quite honestly the same argument can be made about the "Mature Wii" thread started before. (and that one was news worthy)