By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Can wii do better sales in 2010 than 2009?

Can wii do better sales in 2010 than 2009?

Yes 112 69.14%

No 28 17.28%

Not sure yet 22 13.58%

Total:162
Sephiroth357 said:
Khuutra said:

No, analogies are more closely related to similes. What you're giving is a metaphor. Saying something like "The Wii's 2010 will be to its 2009 as the PS2's 2005 was to its 2004" is an analogy.

I didn't say you couldn't assume that, I just said there was no reason to, and it isn't useful in making a point.

You would happen to be wrong.

You're the first person I've heard say that an analogy is more closely related to a simile than a metaphor. They're all similar.

A Hill is to down as Wii is to sales. That's as clear as I can make it. It may not make sense to you...This argument can go on for years.

Twins Peak, San Francisco, California.

Doesn't look like the gaps are as big as you make them appear.

They're similar in that they're useful for off-the-cuff comparisons or contrasts, but the mechanics of them are very different.

"A hill is to down as a Wii is to sales" doesn't make any sense under the analogy system. You mean to say "The Wii has scaled the mountain and is now destined to go down the other side," which is - of course - a metaphor. For analogies you need more literal comparisons, articularly in the way the things being compared can be quantified.

I'm not going to argue with you as if a picture of twin mountain peaks is appropriately representative of hardware sales trends for video game consoles, the idea is absurd.

Around the Network
Khuutra said:
Sephiroth357 said:
Khuutra said:

No, analogies are more closely related to similes. What you're giving is a metaphor. Saying something like "The Wii's 2010 will be to its 2009 as the PS2's 2005 was to its 2004" is an analogy.

I didn't say you couldn't assume that, I just said there was no reason to, and it isn't useful in making a point.

You would happen to be wrong.

You're the first person I've heard say that an analogy is more closely related to a simile than a metaphor. They're all similar.

A Hill is to down as Wii is to sales. That's as clear as I can make it. It may not make sense to you...This argument can go on for years.

Twins Peak, San Francisco, California.

Doesn't look like the gaps are as big as you make them appear.

They're similar in that they're useful for off-the-cuff comparisons or contrasts, but the mechanics of them are very different.

"A hill is to down as a Wii is to sales" doesn't make any sense under the analogy system. You mean to say "The Wii has scaled the mountain and is now destined to go down the other side," which is - of course - a metaphor. For analogies you need more literal comparisons, articularly in the way the things being compared can be quantified.

I'm not going to argue with you as if a picture of twin mountain peaks is appropriately representative of hardware sales trends for video game consoles, the idea is absurd.

Well, like I said it may not make sense to you. Thats not my problem.

Sephiroth357 said:

The inability to effectively communicate an idea, much less argue it, is a problem!

And it did make sense to me, it was just poorly constructed (as I outlined above)

why do you people insist on sales, right now your main priority should be games, which to be honest is lacking in the 3rd party department, and yet you people act as if you have plenty of games despite this known situation...kinda odd to say the least.

As for sales, the wii should easily do what it did in 2009 if not more, why, cuz the casuals standard is the casual games, may they be worth while efforts or shovelware...all I can say is that this shit doesn't work for the core gamers, as we demand quality for 60 bucks, the casuals however demand more mini games for their 60 bucks regardless of the quality...different stroke for different folk I suppose XD.

Destroyer_of_knights said:
why do you people insist on sales, right now your main priority should be games, which to be honest is lacking in the 3rd party department, and yet you people act as if you have plenty of games despite this known situation...kinda odd to say the least.

As for sales, the wii should easily do what it did in 2009 if not more, why, cuz the casuals standard is the casual games, may they be worth while efforts or shovelware...all I can say is that this shit doesn't work for the core gamers, as we demand quality for 60 bucks, the casuals however demand more mini games for their 60 bucks regardless of the quality...different stroke for different folk I suppose XD.

So d_o_k lemme ask you something

How many Wii games do you own, exactly

Around the Network

Games will only sell better if the third parties will actually advertise them. If the only games that get advertised are stuff like 'My Sims Agents' and 'Carnival Games Toy Story Edition', then its no wonder why only certain titles are selling and the 'core' games get overlooked. As well as the 'core' market is switching to HD consoles.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

I say yes, with the announcement of a couple AAA titles and casual games Nintendo could easily pull it off.

Nintendo, Zelda Wii 2010 please.

Khuutra said:
Sephiroth357 said:

The inability to effectively communicate an idea, much less argue it, is a problem!

And it did make sense to me, it was just poorly constructed (as I outlined above)

No, you see. I get on the internet to get away from all my problems.

Khuutra said:

To be honest I own no wii game, because any game I've ever wanted to try out has been bought by either some friends of mine or my sister, and none have peaked my interest enough to actually buy them, or even play past the initial 20min, but then again the same thing happens with my PS3 games, though because their are more game of the type I like I usually have allot of PS3 games available for me to pay and play.

Khuutra said:

To be honest I own no wii game, because any game I've ever wanted to try out has been bought by either some friends of mine or my sister, and none have peaked my interest enough to actually buy them, or even play past the initial 20min, but then again the same thing happens with my PS3 games, though because their are more game of the type I like I usually have allot of PS3 games available for me to pay and play.

So how familiar are you with the Wii's library?