By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - GT GotY Awards 2009: Game of the Year

radiantshadow92 said:
Mr Khan said:
FreeTalkLive said:
Not a single DS, PSP or Wii Nomination. Not Wii Sports Resort or NSMB Wii. Oh well, I'll still continue to think that Scribblenauts was the handheld GOTY, Wii Sports Resort was the home console game of the year and Plants Vs. Zombies was the PC game on the year.

That's how it always is, and will remain for most sites this year. 08 and 09 were the years that those three platforms may as well have not existed for most gaming sites.

seems about right to me, imo, i dont think any wii/ds deserved a goty mention

pretty much, but the DS had much better games than the wii though.

Around the Network

Best PC Game: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
Best PS3 Game: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
Best Xbox 360 Game: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
Game of the Year: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

They had a whole show dedicated to this game, it seems very special to them, you guys are arrogant if you do not agree with them.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

Well by some of the arguments I'm hearing here people don't think Uncharted 2 or MW2 should win it. Let's face it. Both were amazing games in their own right that really didn't do past the status quo. Meaning why should we bring down one for the other doing the same. Something GT screwed up on and now fans against this are screwing up again. Let's try not to contradict ourselves.

For me personally, I'm still hoping for either Batman: Arkham Aslyum or Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks to rack in the awards but handheld games don't win it haha and Batman just keeps getting over shadowed. But MW2 as a choice is fine with me as it is still a good choice. Same would have been said with Uncharted 2. I knew most of the winners were going to go to the likes of the most hyped and most popular. I think this year instead of having one outstanding title that separates it form the rest we have a bunch of great titles that all could easily have won it and that makes it tough on these sites to pick.

I agree with GT.

Is it impossible for one to have an opinion nowadays? I did indeed enjoy Uncharted more but it seems the second somebody doesn't say it's game of the year people have a whack attack and start screaming mass suckage.

Around the Network

I guess I'm one of the few among us that prefers innovation over refinement.  My personal picks wouldn't probably have been any of the games that were nominated, although I whole heartedly respect Gametrailer's choices.  I much prefer to have multiple games win awards from different websites because it shows a healthy range of games that apply to different types of people (such as Gamespot's decision to give "Demon's Souls" the GOTY award. 

As for the GT awards...if I had to pick of from that list myself, I would have picked Batman:AA simply because I'm not a big fan of sequels....overall (gotta say BRAWL nears perfection).  This is the same reason that I would never pick New Super Mario Bros Wii as GOTY.  It's ridiculously fun, but it refines rather than innovates, which is great for a good time, but does not push the envelope enough to be rewarded as best of the best.  Sequels are fine for what they are, but when that's all there is, everything starts to stagnate and all you get are "part twos" and "me-toos".  I guess this is why I love games from Suda 51 and Clover Studios/Platinum Games.  I'm also an 8-bit gamer at heart, so I guess my head doesn't turn for pretty graphics so much.   Today's pretty graphics are next months forgotten budget titles.  Graphics may fade, but gameplay is forever.

Edit:  Just wanted to add... Look at VGChartz reviews:  A healthy sampling of games across all platforms.  This is how end-of-year awards are done right.  Even if you don't agree with all of the winners, you must applaud their fairness and non-exclusive attitude in selecting the winners.

Well Gametrailers did say Uncharted 2 wasn't innovative, I'm guessing Modern Warfare 2 deserves it because it's so innovative with it's short single player and the same multiplayer. I mean, MW2 even scored higher than Uncharted 2.

/Sarcasm.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 > Modern Warfare 2

I agree it was the best game of 2009.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PLAYSTATION 3 : RPG FAN CLUB

NicholasCage said:
Well Gametrailers did say Uncharted 2 wasn't innovative, I'm guessing Modern Warfare 2 deserves it because it's so innovative with it's short single player and the same multiplayer. I mean, MW2 even scored higher than Uncharted 2.

/Sarcasm.

It must really be more awesome than Uncharted 2 if people are willing to buy the same game twice.

Tease.

GT Reviewers = Retards