By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - GT GotY Awards 2009: Game of the Year

RolStoppable said:
Was this the overall GotY award?

Yes for Gametrailers.com

Around the Network

Sigh... no matter which other game won, it shouldn't have been COD: MW2.

They completely contradict what they stated in their intro. We see NSMB: Wii being ignored because it's not breaking away from the mold... which is exactly the same thing COD: MW2 isn't doing. (and don't tell me that adding spec ops is such an innovation... and the mp is basically COD 4 anyway).

I have no problem with them picking that game in the end, as long as they could motivate it better than they did ...

My only complaint with this award is that they introduced it with this:

"To become a nominee, you cannot be a one-trick pony: glossy on the outside but ugly on the inside, or reliant upon the tried-and-true. The mold must be broken, the envelope must be pushed."

>_>

Seen the Spike awards? i was really cool.

That's Gordon Freeman in "Real-Life"

leo-j said:
Hypocrites, the biggest hypocrites I have ever witnissed when it comes to reviewing games

"No matter what the game, if the game doesn't bring something ground breakinly new and innovative, it will not receive anything higher than what Uncharted 2 received(93)"

2 weeks later: Call of duty: Modern warfare 2 : 97

Do I agree with the award, no I certainly do not, can I do anything about it? No, its there opinion, and I certainly do not respect it, after there GRID COMPARISON (somehow the PS3 version looked worse than the PS3 version oh wait I mean 360 version...) the stupid XMEN COMPARISON (how funny that the ps3 has 360 buttons), and there biased comments on there awards throughout the entire freaking generation

"Lair is our biggest dissapointment of 2007, and we can only hope there is more to come from the ps3"

"Uncharted is the best looking game on console, and sets itself well above 360 games, BUT COD4 wins best graphics either way"

" After dominating the gaming scene most of the generation, the XBOX 360 takes a break, and the PS3 takes a year of good games (hell they did give the ps3 best software last year, did they completely blank there mind out or what?) "

All of that just really makes me not like them at all..

Am I ranting? Actually yes, I know it may have little to do with the award, but I just wanted it to be said. They act as if Uncharted 2 has no multiplayer at all..in that video, when it has one of the most addictive and best third person multiplayer experiences of the generation.

Is this another guy that got banned for speaking the truth? curious

Make games, not war (that goes for ridiculous fanboys)

I may be the next Maelstorm or not, you be the judge http://videogamesgrow.blogspot.com/  hopefully I can be more of an asset than a fanboy to VGC hehe.

Around the Network

All this does is give me even greater respect for Gamespot. They really had the balls to give a truly niche game with real gameplay innovation the GOTY in the face of all those multi-million selling derivatives. It'll be the only GOTY Demon's Souls gets but it's one of the big'uns. I just hope it prompts a PAL regions release.

Any game that generally rates in the 90's is worthy of a GOTY, and it comes down to a matter of taste among those who decide. It's only questionable if there is some suggestion that someone had undue influence over who got the award. Is there any evidence of this? Not likely.

By the level of anticipation I have for the best games of 2009 (available on PS3 & / or PC) this is my order of merit: Demon's Souls>Uncharted 2 / Dragon Age: origins (can't decide PC or PS3)>R&C: aCiT>Batman: AA>AC2. MW2 doesn't feature as a game I'm likely to play.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

I think that MW2 was a defensible goty candidate but gametrailers really went off in their reasoning. Probably MW2 deserved to win because it is the game people spend most hours playing which is valid reasoning. Putting in innovation, growth, depth, etc. shows that they are poor rhetoricians.

modern warfare 2 won it bcoz it has more replay value than uncharted 2 and it sold lyk crazy

9-0987piy;iu;iuo;ui;iu

Good call. Definitely the game of the year.

"All this does is give me even greater respect for Gamespot. They really had the balls to give a truly niche game with real gameplay innovation the GOTY in the face of all those multi-million selling derivatives. It'll be the only GOTY Demon's Souls gets but it's one of the big'uns. I just hope it prompts a PAL regions release."

The same site who fired employees for not giving a game a good review, because that company it was giving ad dollars ?. yeah no respect here for Gamespot.

As for gametrailers. I think people keep forgetting that this is THEIR opinion. Not yours, get over it.