By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will Final Fantasy XIII get a rating over 90%?

The thing I'm not liking is how people are saying the story isn't that great...Square-Enix games (expecially FF games) should have one of the best stories in games, that's what they should be focused more on then anything else. For as new as Crisis Core is that had an excellent story and a really sad ending. But it sounds like the story for XIII could be either meh or simialr to X (It wouildn't bother me if it was similar to X, that game had a good story).

Anyways I can't wait to hear more about Versus, I'm kind of anticipating that a little more now.

Around the Network
Garamond said:
Anybody that plays or enjoys RPGs because of their battle system should end up liking this game - it's definitely the best part of XIII and I think they did a really good job with it.

Story wise, from what I could understand and from what I've read, it's average at best, but I highly don't the polished gameplay, great graphics and Final Fantasy name will get this game much lower than a 90. It may have a few years ago, but it just seems to me that reviewers tend to be much more favorable this generation than in the past.

I personally thought the game was really fun based on the battle system alone - some of your guys hating this game should probably give it a try before you start condemning Square-Enix. The game may be disappointing in certain aspects, but it isn't a bad game.

For just about every other genre, I would agree with you, but RPG's (JRPG's specifically) and point and click adventures gameplay isn't the reason you're playing the game.  You play those games for the clever writing (in point in click adventures), story, characters, and music (for RPG's).

Most importantly though, for JRPG's, you're playing for the characters and story.  I'm not going to invest 60+ hours into a game for its battle system, there are games with much better gameplay that I could waste that much time on, I waste 60+ hours on a JRPG because of the interesting stories and compelling characters.

(and I'm not commenting on FFXIII's character or stories, or even any other FF, I'm just saying JRPG's are one of the few genre's where gameplay isn't the reason you play)

twesterm said:
Garamond said:
Anybody that plays or enjoys RPGs because of their battle system should end up liking this game - it's definitely the best part of XIII and I think they did a really good job with it.

Story wise, from what I could understand and from what I've read, it's average at best, but I highly don't the polished gameplay, great graphics and Final Fantasy name will get this game much lower than a 90. It may have a few years ago, but it just seems to me that reviewers tend to be much more favorable this generation than in the past.

I personally thought the game was really fun based on the battle system alone - some of your guys hating this game should probably give it a try before you start condemning Square-Enix. The game may be disappointing in certain aspects, but it isn't a bad game.

For just about every other genre, I would agree with you, but RPG's (JRPG's specifically) and point and click adventures gameplay isn't the reason you're playing the game.  You play those games for the clever writing (in point in click adventures), story, characters, and music (for RPG's).

Most importantly though, for JRPG's, you're playing for the characters and story.  I'm not going to invest 60+ hours into a game for its battle system, there are games with much better gameplay that I could waste that much time on, I waste 60+ hours on a JRPG because of the interesting stories and compelling characters.

(and I'm not commenting on FFXIII's character or stories, or even any other FF, I'm just saying JRPG's are one of the few genre's where gameplay isn't the reason you play)

Twestern is correct. Ive been playing RPG's for over 15 years and the thing i enjoyed most about them were the story and characters. Sure its always nice to have some new improvements on the gameplay, however its the not the main reason for me wanting to play the game. If im gonna sit through a 60+ hour game, i expect it to have a good story to help keep me interested in the game. This is also why WRPG's are a hard sell for me. A vast majority of them dont have good stories(apart from Bioware games) and those games are over 100+ hours. and for me its very painful to have to sit through such long games as these where ur either lost in the story and u dont no wats going on or whether the storyline is just to weak for me to even care.

However there are some exceptions. Several RPG's like SO4, Demon souls, Diablo II didnt have the greatest storylines but the gameplay was just so addicting that u couldnt stop playing. These cases are rare though as RPG's aren't normally known for the greatest gameplay but its always nice to see every now and then

I don't know, By the current rate I expect to be like from 88-94

I have played the game and no it will not have a rating of over 90%
The game to me WASN'T the next-gen RPG we were waiting for (like FFX was back in 2001)
The game is VERY linear and the puzzles are very limited.
The areas are very corridor like and doesn't allow the player much freedom like other FF.
There's only freedom after around 20 hours. A 20-hour long tutorial? Ridiculous.
I daresay FFX-2 was MUCH more better than FFXIII. Guess my expectations were too high.
You guys will understand when you actually play the game.
just my opinion xD

Owner of PS1/PSOne , PS2 phat/slim  , PS3 phat/slim , PS Eye+Move and PSP phat/slim/brite/go (Sony)

The Official PS Vita Thread! Get all your latest PS Vita news here! Come join us!

Around the Network

Maybe, but I expect high 80s. Of course, some games get undeserving high scores and this could end up being one of them.

For my thoughts on the subject please refer to Pristine's post, it sums it up perfectly.

Signature goes here!

agree with twestern.. not going higher than 85's sounds about right

gustave154 said:
I have played the game and no it will not have a rating of over 90%
The game to me WASN'T the next-gen RPG we were waiting for (like FFX was back in 2001)
The game is VERY linear and the puzzles are very limited.
The areas are very corridor like and doesn't allow the player much freedom like other FF.
There's only freedom after around 20 hours. A 20-hour long tutorial? Ridiculous.
I daresay FFX-2 was MUCH more better than FFXIII. Guess my expectations were too high.
You guys will understand when you actually play the game.
just my opinion xD

I've waited for 4 years and it seems as though I was wasting my time, I sure hope I enjoy this game or I'm going to be very dissapointed.

Well lately SE has been screwing me over with games and the stuff they do, so it's almost garunteed I'm not going to like it....damn.

Well atleast I can still look forward to Versus.

its a huge risk for established franchises taking a new direction. some work some not. i think it may get mixed reviews

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...