By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - NPD to stop giving numbers to public?

I see some pretty substantial "discussions" at the quarterly release ...

At one point NPD was said to be accurate enough to justify the adjustment of VG nuumbers. Now they are no longer perceived as being more accurate (even though the larger sample size still exists ..)

ioi - "I don't actually intend to make anymore adjustments to our data, it is as accurate as NPD over the last quarter - adjusting when NPD came out only meant I had to readjust back when the quarterly figures came out so I'm just going to go with what we have from now on..."

Not sure I agree with that given the trend of VG to consistently overestimate PS3 in July, August and September and underestimate 360 for the same timeframe ... while the differences may have been about 15% or so on avg. I would have liked to have seen VG land on both sides of NPD.

As it stands now it seems that VG's sample has a bias - which could be based on store type, demographics of store region or a variety of factors. Even the PAL numbers for 11/3 followed the same trend with PS3 being overestimate by 11% and 360 underestimated by 34% (using the holiday season predictions posted on the front page).

So ... given that there could be significant discrepancies in the Quarterly numbers between VG and NPD I think it is going to cause more dissension and argument about the veracity of VG than anything on the positive side.

Of course if VG #'s come in very close with little sign of bias then life is good ;)

ioi - "I have always endorsed NPD and have always conceded that their figures are obviously far more accurate than ours ..." - Posted on: 06/14/07, 22:22

http://www.vgchartz.com/news/news.php?id=355

Around the Network

http://alexa.com/data/details/traffic_details?url=vgchartz.com

Vgchartz.com traffic rank: 13,491

http://alexa.com/data/details/traffic_details?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.neogaf.com%2F

Neogaf.com traffic rank: 4,229

Don't get TOO ahead of yourself there.

Sqrl said:
Wow this is huge for this website. This is like best case scenario.

I hope this wasn't their way of combating VGC because it is going to cause a community explosion as people come here looking for numbers.

The result is that new outlets wishing to run stories are going to have limited options in where they look for sales data and once they realize that this website is a one-stop shop for hardware and software sales information with charts and graphs to go with it I think the choice will be clear.

I look forward to the influx, but I hope ioi has time to get the site fully ready for the onslaught.

I'll say.  I wonder why they are doing it. 

MontanaHatchet said:
http://alexa.com/data/details/traffic_details?url=vgchartz.com

Vgchartz.com traffic rank: 13,491

http://alexa.com/data/details/traffic_details?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.neogaf.com%2F

Neogaf.com traffic rank: 4,229

Don't get TOO ahead of yourself there.
Traffic rank is uninteresting, reach it the interesting thing. Neogaf has more forum user that loads the page more often therfore more traffic. More unique user is better way to measure the "importance".

Wow , this is huge for the site ... lets hope that we will see at least year-end sales statistics :?

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Around the Network

Neogaf blows anyway. (I call them neof*gs, lol)

I've been a long time lurker of vgchartz, ever since the beginning. I coulda swore I signed up a long time ago but I guess not. Anyway just want to let you guys know that I like this site and I think you guys do a great job.

The conversations here are much better than neof*gs and most other game forums (besides my beloved pvc of course :) ) it's funny that even though this site is primarily about sales numbers, the members here are actually more into games while the other forums claim to be about games and their members end up talking more about sales. So I see this place as very balanced.

The moderators here are nice too, no power tripping jerks who ban people for saying unfavorable things about their favorite console.

Oh, and one last thing about vgchartz numbers - after the latest Nintendo quarterly report, I realized that vgchartz are actually more accurate than NPD. Cheers!

Something very fishy about this change, reporting out numbers in quarterly or annually does help creating a time lag for the loosing side. Its almost like they try to cover up the large number, it does seem unfair to the one leading the number game. I could be wrong.

lol, just read the posts at GAF, even now there is so much hatred directed at VGChartz, lol, they're such idiots, it would be far smarter of them to assist VGChartz rather than deride it, a perfect example of cutting off their noses out of spite

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

----------------------------
Can we blame ourselves for the imminent rise of vg char...? I'm wondering if that banned site has a chance of becoming the place people go for numbers. We see that they are already referenced by various articles and websites. That legitimizes them and, now, with less info, they'll be unchecked. Someone throw up the N'Gai signal cuz he's the only big name that could effectively squash there crap.

It would be funny if vgc becomes big. Why? Well, GAF has this love relationship with sales. That probably attracted ioi. He thought he could actually replicate npd. He was ostracized by gaf, casted out, if you will follow me.
Now, I would argue that our love affair with sales have played a role in all this. We enjoyed leaks for awhile, then someone made a trailer for great lolz. NPD turned the lights out on that party and now, are backing away from an agreement they don't have to adhere to. Our love of numbers and greed pushed away our source and wouldn't it be funny if our love of pure numbers caused the rise of ioi?

I'm kinda interested in how it'll turn out.
--------------------------

Absolutely hilarious. 

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

Avinash_Tyagi said:

it would be far smarter of them to assist VGChartz rather than deride it, a perfect example of cutting off their noses out of spite

Seriously.

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick