By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Engadget says: Xbox 360 Helped Define The Decade

LordTheNightKnight said:
"the 360 defined the experience to the point of standardizing it. Thus it forever changed the landscape of gaming unlike any other console this decade."

The problem is assuming online is the gaming definition of this decade.

hmm, take a peak at the sales of Halo 3, MF2 and other online-oriented games.

Around the Network
goddog said:
Khuutra said:
It's not about controls, though - controls are only a tool, one method through which one increases accessibility. The iTouch line is problematic in that the accessibility is lower, if only because they're comparatively expensive.

You think that after half a decade, the design paradigms and demographic paradigms brought on by the DS might be a fad? I don't know what to tell you.

You are unnecessarily limited in your definition of "change". Exclusively holding to motion controls or touch screen controls would not be enough. Expanding one's ability to pentrate audiences is more effectively served by variety of product.

Again: the image of the industry has changed. Te heart of the industry has changed. Nintendo did much of that.

I do not see any change in the DS in terms of design or demographics of games or console. it simply rode the gameboys empire. if you consider marketing smartly towards new demographics revolutionary i guess you have that.

i never called the DS a fad, though i came close to calling the wii one. i implied the wii had a few things break its way and much like the ds had a solid marketing plan and corporate strategy that were well executed to increase mindshare.

if they had truly shifted what gaming was i would agree but they have not, interface has been their biggest change, the games themselves have not seen any sort of real shift, just better more focused marketing, and strategy

though i guess if you saying that how we market games is the change i could buy that, and nintendo could get most credit for that, but that is hardly a change in gaming it is a change in image of gaming.

and yes i do feel the iphone/ipod touch demographic at current is limiting itself by price though i see that changing in the next few years if apples historic price movement structure stays the same.

the image of the industry has not changed, nor has its heart. the facade that you see is noting more then an outer shell and window dressing

Hm

I do not agree with you, but I think we have come to an impasse where we cannot agree on these points. Would you mind if I bowed out of this particular discussion?

deathgod33 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
"the 360 defined the experience to the point of standardizing it. Thus it forever changed the landscape of gaming unlike any other console this decade."

The problem is assuming online is the gaming definition of this decade.

hmm, take a peak at the sales of Halo 3, MF2 and other online-oriented games.

Halo 3 isn't online oriented. It also has local multiplayer. And what's MF2? Is that a typo?

And if you are bringing sales into this, I can sure as hell say the DS and Wii trumps the 360.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

vlad321 said:
FKNetwork said:
vlad321 said:

Steam is at first and foremost a vendor platform. However Steam de sin fact have coice chat for anyone who is using it, if you launch games from steam then you even have cross game voice chat. The point is that it is possible.

The thing is the online is free and as far as gaming goes far far better. How about mods to games? Tere are hundreds and hudreds and hudereds of mods for any game that's able to be modded. Then you talk about service, but really can any service honetly beat what a good ol' Firefox brows, or hell even IE, can offer you? I know for a fact that it does not. WHen you bring up serviced you automatically lose because you are basically going against the ENTIRE Web 2.0. Hell on consoles you can't even watch some TV channels' streaming because they require special installations and crap which consoles don't even support.

So sum it all up when it comes to LIVE

- Very poor services

- Very poor fame communites

- Not free

- Ubiquitous game options, which are also availabe on the PCs as well if you spend 15 mins.

What do you gain? Nothing. Meanwhile you still pay.

OT:

I too agree that the Wii defined this decade far fa more than the 360.

^ If you honestly believe all that rubbish you just typed then wow! all I will say is this = LMAO.....

If you honestly believe something else you might want to stop bending over and check your ass.

^Truth hurts I see,

It's fine trying to protect your fragile (and dying) pc gaming but making it sound better than it is makes you look rather desperate, anyone can go and install steam to see how basic and poor it is, and you actually try to compare it to psn or live, both psn and live pi*s all over steam from a great height but then again you still have your "pc rules" googles on lol

My signature says it all about steam....

psrock said:

Any choice would have been good, I really hope it's not after this gen is over we realize how much we have grown and expanded.

my choice : Sony Ericsson P800

while the p900 series were more powerful, the p800 started the really smart phones, high tech gadgets. it was way before its time. I am sad Sony doesn't start trends anymore.

I concur. This thing was pretty awesome for the longest time. Sadly like Saab, SE will learn things the hard way- IF you DONT update your products fast enough- people will stop buying them.

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

owner of : atari 2600, commodore 64, NES,gameboy,atari lynx, genesis, saturn,neogeo,DC,PS2,GC,X360, Wii

5 THINGS I'd like to see before i knock out:

a. a AAA 3D sonic title

b. a nintendo developed game that has a "M rating"

c. redesgined PS controller

d. SEGA back in the console business

e. M$ out of the OS business

Around the Network
FKNetwork said:
vlad321 said:
FKNetwork said:
vlad321 said:

Steam is at first and foremost a vendor platform. However Steam de sin fact have coice chat for anyone who is using it, if you launch games from steam then you even have cross game voice chat. The point is that it is possible.

The thing is the online is free and as far as gaming goes far far better. How about mods to games? Tere are hundreds and hudreds and hudereds of mods for any game that's able to be modded. Then you talk about service, but really can any service honetly beat what a good ol' Firefox brows, or hell even IE, can offer you? I know for a fact that it does not. WHen you bring up serviced you automatically lose because you are basically going against the ENTIRE Web 2.0. Hell on consoles you can't even watch some TV channels' streaming because they require special installations and crap which consoles don't even support.

So sum it all up when it comes to LIVE

- Very poor services

- Very poor fame communites

- Not free

- Ubiquitous game options, which are also availabe on the PCs as well if you spend 15 mins.

What do you gain? Nothing. Meanwhile you still pay.

OT:

I too agree that the Wii defined this decade far fa more than the 360.

^ If you honestly believe all that rubbish you just typed then wow! all I will say is this = LMAO.....

If you honestly believe something else you might want to stop bending over and check your ass.

^Truth hurts I see,

It's fine trying to protect your fragile (and dying) pc gaming but making it sound better than it is makes you look rather desperate, anyone can go and install steam to see how basic and poor it is, and you actually try to compare it to psn or live, both psn and live pi*s all over steam from a great height but then again you still have your "pc rules" googles on lol

No really. Do try to think about it. The fact that is in your sig just shows how ignorant you are about this subject. I'm done with you, I'll go talk to the chair instead.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

vlad321 said:
FKNetwork said:

^Truth hurts I see,

No really. Do try to think about it. The fact that is in your sig just shows how ignorant you are about this subject. I'm done with you, I'll go talk to the chair instead.

I've used Steam more than enough over the last 2-3 years to know how it performs and what it offers (not much at all), but then again it's the best on offer for the pc that offers a universal all in one community like PSN and Xbox Live do, as I said before both the PSN and Live are in another league from Steam, they both leave Steam in the dust.

For example, I was playing Team Fortress 2 on Steam over the "Free" weekend last week, the whole steam system is sooo slow at finding games and joining them (i'm on a 24mb connection, xbox live, psn and other online pc games are very fast for me), you have to start up Steam, wait for it to update, restart Steam, then load the actual game from within Steam, then look for the server list, find one that actually responds or isn't full, you finally find one then you have to wait for it to download the map (if you haven't played that map before), 5 minutes later you actually get to play by which time a lot of the players have left or the game mode or map has changed again.

The "Free" weekend actually put me off buying Team Fortress 2 even at the half price £6.99, a complete sham compared to some of the FPS's on PSN and Xbox Live.

On Live and PSN you just start your game pick multiplayer and your in a match and playing within 30 seconds, it is simple and easy, you also get a far better feature set on both live and psn than you do on steam, plus you get to have a laugh with your mates as most of the people on live and psn use mics!

So yeah, say what you want but sticking up for steam like you do makes you look desperate lol

FKNetwork said:
vlad321 said:
FKNetwork said:

^Truth hurts I see,

I've used Steam more than enough over the last 2-3 years to know how it performs and what it offers (not much at all), but then again it's the best on offer for the pc that offers a universal all in one community like PSN and Xbox Live do, as I said before both the PSN and Live are in another league from Steam, they both leave Steam in the dust.

For example, I was playing Team Fortress 2 on Steam over the "Free" weekend last week, the whole steam system is sooo slow at finding games and joining them (i'm on a 24mb connection, xbox live, psn and other online pc games are very fast for me), you have to start up Steam, wait for it to update, restart Steam, then load the actual game from within Steam, then look for the server list, find one that actually responds or isn't full, you finally find one then you have to wait for it to download the map (if you haven't played that map before), 5 minutes later you actually get to play by which time a lot of the players have left or the game mode or map has changed again.

The "Free" weekend actually put me off buying Team Fortress 2 even at the half price £6.99, a complete sham compared to some of the FPS's on PSN and Xbox Live.

On Live and PSN you just start your game pick multiplayer and your in a match and playing within 30 seconds, it is simple and easy, you also get a far better feature set on both live and psn than you do on steam, plus you get to have a laugh with your mates as most of the people on live and psn use mics!

So yeah, say what you want but sticking up for steam like you do makes you look desperate lol

The bolded is hy Steam is better than LIVE. It auto updates for you. The server browser is something far far better than any matchmaking in LIVE. You pick your server your players and most importantly youor mods and latency. You don't have those options on LIVE. In fact just about any game is better online than any LIVE game simply because you can pick choose your latency and mods, something LIVE can't even begin to touch.

So on LIVE I pay $50 bucks I start up the game and I end up with what is considered good ping with full bars, turns out "good ping" on LIVE means about 150ms. I mean seriously? That's just pathetic. I can't even pick any mods or custom maps on LIVE and PSN. That is what's really pathetic. Also voice chat is the WORST thing to happen to games ever. I don't need to be called a fag by little kids who are insecure and suck so bad they can't even get a kill. Join any UT2004 game and there is almost no talking until the end of the match. Oh yeah that's another bonus, immature people who like to whine, LIVE is entirely too full of them, and most of them are dumber than bricks.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

vlad321 said:
FKNetwork said:

The bolded is hy Steam is better than LIVE. It auto updates for you. The server browser is something far far better than any matchmaking in LIVE. You pick your server your players and most importantly youor mods and latency. You don't have those options on LIVE. In fact just about any game is better online than any LIVE game simply because you can pick choose your latency and mods, something LIVE can't even begin to touch.

So on LIVE I pay $50 bucks I start up the game and I end up with what is considered good ping with full bars, turns out "good ping" on LIVE means about 150ms. I mean seriously? That's just pathetic. I can't even pick any mods or custom maps on LIVE and PSN. That is what's really pathetic. Also voice chat is the WORST thing to happen to games ever. I don't need to be called a fag by little kids who are insecure and suck so bad they can't even get a kill. Join any UT2004 game and there is almost no talking until the end of the match. Oh yeah that's another bonus, immature people who like to whine, LIVE is entirely too full of them, and most of them are dumber than bricks.

^LOL, have a read over what you just wrote, it just comes across that you HATE console gaming no matter what and your all upset because console gaming is more popular than pc gaming, and yup, that is your choice but it doesn't mean everyone will agree with you, there are millions and millions of people out there that prefer gaming on consoles than pc's online and offline,your in the minority with your views and you know you are, that is why you get your back up so easily.

And voice chat on consoles is superb, I don't have any problems with litle kids screaming at me, maybe they just didn't like you, not surprising really if this is how you come across on a forum, imagine real life, wow!

LOL. Good ole vlad. All of your complaints about LIVE have nothing to do with the service and everything to do with the developers.

- Dedicated servers are available for many first and third party 360 games. It is up to developers and their design decisions.

- Auto updating occurs on the 360 as well.

- Halo 3 has a mechanism for modifying maps and rolling out different gametypes to choose from. It is a little limited but I am quite sure console developers are quickly heading towards allowing user created content to flow, not code changing mods, but other customized content. Most code changing mods available for PC are absolute shit anyway. The couple that are good usually garner a userbase in the thousands. Not really enough for MS to worry about as of yet.

- Lag is rarely an issue for me.

Every single game on the 360 has a unified feature set provided by MS. Can you say the same thing about PC gaming? Perhaps that isn't important to you?