By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Engadget says: Xbox 360 Helped Define The Decade

DaBuddahN said:
@Goddog and Khuutra

The DS is amazing, and it's library is indeed superior to the PSP. But, imo, what really killed the PSP was piracy. Just look at the sales of the PSP compared to the amount of software that's being bought for it. The difference is astronomical! Before the PSP pirating days were in full gear, the PSP, while having a smaller user base than the DS, moved quite a bite of software. According to VGC it has 5mil sellers I believe. Not bad for a first attempt at a handheld.

I say piracy was the main cause because software is what sells a system. And with all the piracy going on the PSP, devs aren't going to put risky IPs or new IP on the PSP. I find it amazing high profile games like KHBBS and FF Agito are still set to release on the PSP. Sony must be covering their costs to some extent.

Also, the DS does have the nostalgia and gameboy legacy behind it, so that is automatically an advantage for the handheld. PSP had no history whatsoever backing it up. Now, second gen PSP's, or PSP2 will have a slightly decent reputation behind, but it will still pale in comparison to Ninty's next-gen handheld unless they pull off something drastic.

I believe, that if piracy didn't hit the PSP as hard as it did, the handheld market would have been more competitive and balanced, but still in Nintendo's favor. Maybe 40% vs 60% market share.

well i would file psp as a lack of core customers. pirates who do not buy games are not core customers. they strategy behind the psp did not endear its self well enough to the target audience, and was often a confused poorly sent message. it created a devise that eneded up being used in a way not entended buy its maker. on top of that sony failed to nurture the platform to legitimacy preferring to believe it did not have a problem. though making money off the hardware made this a luxury they could afford at the time. its a gaming system that suffered crib death carried on and was then revived. it always amazes me that the psp never did better, but considering how it was managed its amazing how far its gotten. love to the psp the platform that brought loco roco, and formaly was my primary entertainment on trans continental flights

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

Around the Network
Khuutra said:
Core gamers are apparently buying the Hell out of Resort, MArio Kart Wii, Wii Fit, and New Super mario Bros, then

"Back libraries" in that case refers specifically to backwards compatibility: people who buy the DSi apparently don't care about the lack of GBA capabilities.

And we will advance ideas concisely

quote me from my first post "core customers (not core gamers mind you)"    im sure many core customers bought those games. however one console and *edit* four games *edit* not a core customer makes. core customers are custoemr who spend money year in and year out, the group the reliably is your most profitable group.  the core customer has been there each generation expanding.true there are ones added who may have jsut bought those games htis gen but if they disapere before buying more next they were never core customers, they were never the people who spent the most money year in and year out. 

outside of core customers for microsoft, its bussiness customers, for apple its hardware sales (coputers are still thier biggest money makers), for google its advertisers. true they all have growth and money in other areas, but core customers are what keeps them going in the lean times (if google ever has those, i often wonder if google would collapse if it stopped getting traiffc nessisary to gather the ad revenue to support development of side projects, looking at yahoo it would seem yes but yahoos managment could also be the main reason)

"Back libraries" in that case refers specifically to backwards compatibilit, can be defined that way if you want to limit it, but i feel not only does it bring past games to the presnet but offers a future outlet for past IPs persons are familer with, that makes money, most of the time.

"And we will advance ideas concisely,"  only if one does not enjoy expounding upon a given subject, and defining it more.

personally i enjoy reading some rambling, and typing it as well

*edit* also i played me the hell out of some new super mario brothers. gave my little sister my wii a few years back throughly enojyed going through with her on it, i hope she becomes a core customer.

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

The PSP didn't have a killer app. GTA LCS was supposed to be one, but it wasn't.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

I think we have gotten away from the original point

Goddog, I maintain that the DS/Wii has changed things. The change is all around us. It's changed the face of the industry and the heart of it; there has been no greater source of change in the last ten years.

Pre-DS/Wii: the word "gamer" made people think of lonely nerds living in basements glued to their televisions, who only see daylight when going to Star Trek conventions, or World of WarCraft addicts urinating in thermoses during long gaming binges.

Post-DS/Wii: the word "gamer" makes people think of multi-ethnic families dressed all in white exercising together, or family holiday parties, or Oprah.

Around the Network
Xoj said:
Squilliam said:

How exactly is it better online? Does the PC have a unified online system? Does it have unified friends lists? Does it have seamless integration of voice chat, by this I mean every game and totally noob friendly to use. The way I see it, the PC online system is very fragmented and to keep up with it all you need multiple programs like MSN, Skype, ventrillo, xfire, steam etc and not to mention the games which roll their own service. Furthermore many of these programs conflict with each other like for instance steam and ventrillo. Whilst I may not be a pro gamer on the PC my friend who was a top 20 player in AOE3 was and that was his life.

I can see how someone can say that the PC service can be individually better but you can't call it as consistant nor as easy to use as the Xbox Live service.

steam.

/post.

You have to be joking lol, steam is rather poor (a rubbish attempt at live/psn), with a few improvements it could be superb though I guess lol

FKNetwork said:
Xoj said:
Squilliam said:

How exactly is it better online? Does the PC have a unified online system? Does it have unified friends lists? Does it have seamless integration of voice chat, by this I mean every game and totally noob friendly to use. The way I see it, the PC online system is very fragmented and to keep up with it all you need multiple programs like MSN, Skype, ventrillo, xfire, steam etc and not to mention the games which roll their own service. Furthermore many of these programs conflict with each other like for instance steam and ventrillo. Whilst I may not be a pro gamer on the PC my friend who was a top 20 player in AOE3 was and that was his life.

I can see how someone can say that the PC service can be individually better but you can't call it as consistant nor as easy to use as the Xbox Live service.

steam.

/post.

You have to be joking lol, steam is rather poor (a rubbish attempt at live/psn), with a few improvements it could be superb though I guess lol

but steam its older that both. in the currect form those features were on steam.

You know what, please disregard my last posts, i agree again, the 360 did infact do wonders for last decade (since its 2010 now) even though PS2 was great... the 360 is the one who brought us PC-Like features first.

I humblely apoligize for my blasphemy.

Good one on ya MS.

Seraphic_Sixaxis said:
You know what, please disregard my last posts, i agree again, the 360 did infact do wonders for last decade (since its 2010 now) even though PS2 was great... the 360 is the one who brought us PC-Like features first.

Good one on ya MS.

Dude, make up your mind.

DaBuddahN said:
Seraphic_Sixaxis said:

Good one on ya MS.

Dude, make up your mind.

lol! this is my final opinion on the subject now, because really, think about it, if it wasn't for the 360 setting the bar in place, chances are Sony would have never followed, not this quickly anyway, and for free aswell! i have alot to thank myself since i wanted a service like XBL for gaming for awhile, but didn't want to pay, and voula' PSN (theres Steam for PC but you know how that ends up.) sooo yeah.

In conclusion... PS2 was a wonderful console, however it didn't bring nor start for us the online togetherness that the 360 shined down on us.