By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Engadget says: Xbox 360 Helped Define The Decade

Engadget says Xbox 360 helped define the decade

It's pretty adorable listening to our electronics-obsessed sister site Engadget talk about video games, a sensation not unlike listening to a music professor trying to connect with students over the latest Jay-Z album. ("Say kids, isn't this track vibin'?!") But we think they nailed it with their inclusion of the Xbox 360 in their "Ten gadgets that defined the decade" list. The piece reminds that the system's success seemed all but impossible at its launch, with a weaker feature set than the PS3 and a for-pay online service.

Honoroable mentions were given to the PS2 and the Wii, both will presumably fare better on Engadget's "Ten gadgets that didn't melt if you looked at them wrong" list.

PS4 Preordered - 06/11/2013 @09:30am

XBox One Preordered - 06/19/2013 @07:57pm

"I don't trust #XboxOne & #Kinect 2.0, it's always connected" as you tweet from your smartphone - irony 0_o

Around the Network

Yeah! :)

Everyone needs to play Lost Odyssey! Any opposition to this and I will have to just say, "If it's a fight you want, you got it!"

I have to sort of agree. It defined the standards of the upstream market. MS layed the ground work with the XBox, but it was the 360 that shined in regards to being the standard "core gamers" console. PS3 included an HD, OS, and PSN all because they wanted to keep up and try and surpass. It was certainly a defining machine.

Squilliam: On Vgcharts its a commonly accepted practice to twist the bounds of plausibility in order to support your argument or agenda so I think its pretty cool that this gives me the precedent to say whatever I damn well please.

I would have thought the Wii would have been on that list at the expense of the Xbox 360. But if not the Wii then I guess the Xbox 360 is the next-best alternative. It is an American site and an American phenomenom more than anywhere else in the world, so theres a lot of basis for the statement.

Tease.

I love my 360 but they picked it over the PS2? That just seems... stupid.

Around the Network
Squilliam said:
I would have thought the Wii would have been on that list at the expense of the Xbox 360. But if not the Wii then I guess the Xbox 360 is the next-best alternative. It is an American site and an American phenomenom more than anywhere else in the world, so theres a lot of basis for the statement.

I would think that the second pick - or the first, in point of fact - would be the DS, since it was the forerunner for the Wii.

Yea, of course!

Unreliability,expensive development, stagnant creativity,distancing online, and developer entitlement.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

Deviation59 said:
I love my 360 but they picked it over the PS2? That just seems... stupid.

Nobody is denying that the PS2 was one of the best consoles ever, but that's not what the article is talking about.

The Xbox 360 forged new ground in online, multiplayer, marketplace, and achievements.

I would put PS2, DS and Wii ahead of it... But hey, not my choices.

Khuutra said:
Squilliam said:

I would think that the second pick - or the first, in point of fact - would be the DS, since it was the forerunner for the Wii.

Oh yeah and the DS too... But I suspect the audience wants to see manly high tech products rather than girly products or the producers think that anyway.

Btw the list in full: http://www.engadget.com/2009/12/30/ten-gadgets-that-defined-the-decade/

• Canon Digicamera
  • Powerbook
  • Windows XP/OS X
  • Ipod
  • Tivo
  • Motorolla Razr V3
  • PalmOne Treo
  • Xbox 360
  • Iphone
  • Asus EEE

Tease.