By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Engadget says: Xbox 360 Helped Define The Decade

"the 360 defined the experience to the point of standardizing it. Thus it forever changed the landscape of gaming unlike any other console this decade."

The problem is assuming online is the gaming definition of this decade.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network

Any choice would have been good, I really hope it's not after this gen is over we realize how much we have grown and expanded.

my choice : Sony Ericsson P800

while the p900 series were more powerful, the p800 started the really smart phones, high tech gadgets. it was way before its time. I am sad Sony doesn't start trends anymore.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

If you want to talk about Xbox Live and how it truly blossomed on the Xbox 360, I might buy it.

But that list seemed to be a bit all over the place. Some items were obviously the best in class. Some were precursors. Some were niche (any Apple computer is niche). Some were mass market (any Apple music player or phone is mass market).

Basically, regardless of what the list is called, it appears to have boiled down to the editors' favorite gadgets. Quite frankly, I would have gone with the PS3 if you want a tech-heavy console since it doubles as a Blu-Ray player and helped decide the format war (which the Xbox 360 supported the other format).

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

The Ghost of RubangB said:
I understand that they're an American web site so they don't care about the rest of the planet, and they probably love Gamerscores more than actual gaming innovations and revolutions, but I honestly don't see how something can define a decade if it can't sell in Japan.

Oh please, spare me this "they're an American site, they don't care about anywhere else but America" crap. It has sold well everywhere else and yeah, it's bombed in Japan, but guess what, if it's still sitting in second place by a healthy margin, then obviously Japan isn't that significant, and the US in this case has a far greater impact on the world, whether you'd like to admit it or not. Please bring a logical argument rather than the typical anti-American tripe.

themanwithnoname's law: As an America's sales or NPD thread grows longer, the probabilty of the comment "America = World" [sarcasticly] being made approaches 1.

themanwithnoname said:
I understand that they're an American web site so they don't care about the rest of the planet, and they probably love Gamerscores more than actual gaming innovations and revolutions, but I honestly don't see how something can define a decade if it can't sell in Japan.

Oh please, spare me this "they're an American site, they don't care about anywhere else but America" crap. It has sold well everywhere else and yeah, it's bombed in Japan, but guess what, if it's still sitting in second place by a healthy margin, then obviously Japan isn't that significant, and the US in this case has a far greater impact on the world, whether you'd like to admit it or not. Please bring a logical argument rather than the typical anti-American tripe.

Dude

It's hardly an anti-American tirade, it's a comment on his suspicions regarding a Western bias in their choice, which is not entirely unreasonable

Here's one for you, though:

It's awful hard to define a decade when you don't win in your own generation.

Around the Network
Khuutra said:
themanwithnoname said:

Dude

It's hardly an anti-American tirade, it's a comment on his suspicions regarding a Western bias in their choice, which is not entirely unreasonable

I never said it was, but it gets mentioned time and time again on this site and is a common implication that America is so full of itself, and I'm getting sick and tired of reading it. IMO selling well has absolutely nothing to do with defining something. If you're picking the films defining cinema or defining games, are those going to be the ones that sold the most? If so, there'd be no point in having this discussion at all, we could just go to those lists, copy/paste, and be done with it.

themanwithnoname's law: As an America's sales or NPD thread grows longer, the probabilty of the comment "America = World" [sarcasticly] being made approaches 1.

themanwithnoname said:
Khuutra said:

Dude

I never said it was, but it gets mentioned time and time again on this site and is a common implication that America is so full of itself, and I'm getting sick and tired of reading it. IMO selling well has absolutely nothing to do with defining something. If you're picking the films defining cinema or defining games, are those going to be the ones that sold the most? If so, there'd be no point in having this discussion at all, we could just go to those lists, copy/paste, and be done with it.

You have a fair point, and sales cannot be taken as an absolute metric.

I think, then, that Microsoft and Sony scrambling to make their own motion control solutions probably speaks more about how far Nintendo went with the DS and, later on, the Wii.

Khuutra said:
themanwithnoname said:
Khuutra said:

Dude

You have a fair point, and sales cannot be taken as an absolute metric.

I think, then, that Microsoft and Sony scrambling to make their own motion control solutions probably speaks more about how far Nintendo went with the DS and, later on, the Wii.

I'll agree with that line of thinking moreso than just the sales in Japan argument for sure.

Japan isn't the biggest market, and the iPhone defined a generation, too; however, the iPhone doesn't sell well in Japan either. The Mac probably have the same problem., too.

y0ungK!d said:

Japan isn't the biggest market, and the iPhone defined a generation, too; however, the iPhone doesn't sell well in Japan either. The Mac probably have the same problem., too.

it (iphone) actually has 46% of the smart phone market in japan

http://www.tuaw.com/2009/12/18/iphone-controls-46-of-japanese-smartphone-market/

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=1&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.impressrd.jp%2Fnews%2F091210%2Fsmartphone2010&sl=ja&tl=en

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog