By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Engadget says: Xbox 360 Helped Define The Decade

360 FTW! a fantastic system, well deserved!

And people saying the PS2 should have been on the list, why? just because they had a load of games out for it? the ps2 did nothing at all for console gaming other than bring shovalware to the market. the ps2 was a poor system in my view, the dreamcast piss*d all over the ps2 with its quality games and superb graphics....

Around the Network
y0ungK!d said:
The Ghost of RubangB said:
I understand that they're an American web site so they don't care about the rest of the planet, and they probably love Gamerscores more than actual gaming innovations and revolutions, but I honestly don't see how something can define a decade if it can't sell in Japan.

Japan isn't the biggest market, and the iPhone defined a generation, too; however, the iPhone doesn't sell well in Japan either. The Mac probably have the same problem., too.

actually iphone it's selling like average good smartphone. some months on holidays get the top position mainly due the US.

but nokia had 7 of the top 10. and the rest of the year was either 5800 or n97.

n95 sold 20 in a year, 5800 its not tracking away. it was 10 million in some months.

FKNetwork said:

360 FTW! a fantastic system, well deserved!

And people saying the PS2 should have been on the list, why? just because they had a load of games out for it? the ps2 did nothing at all for console gaming other than bring shovalware to the market. the ps2 was a poor system in my view, the dreamcast piss*d all over the ps2 with its quality games and superb graphics....

The PS2 had the most blockbuster exclusive hits as well. Any console that dies prematurely shouldn't be mentioned. I'm not bashing the Dreamcast, mind you, as it had many great exclusive titles. But still, Sega were incompetent, and they brought their own downfall. So that's not really worthy of an honorable mention, no offense or anything.

OT: It does deserve an honorable mention without a doubt. But as others said, I'd put the Wii, DS, and PS2 ahead.

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

The XBox family is defining the decade. PS2, DS, Wii all way better sellers and surely far more succesful. But in console design as in the direction consoles were built for the 2000-2010. It was the XBox that defined the era. XBox introduced a standard internal storage medium and online solution and an OS front loader system. All of which were eventually adopted by the Japanese game developers of Sony and Nintendo. PS2 and DS only represent a peak of traditional sales, they did nothing to define this decade of console gaming. Well the DS some more with it's Touch Screen. But the PSP has not followed suit and the iPhone seems to be succeeding more with the influence of the TS spreading out.

Next decade will be defined what Nintendo is doing with the Wii in regards of controls. Next decade will be all about expanding gaming experience. With the Wii/Wii Family owning that honours.

Squilliam: On Vgcharts its a commonly accepted practice to twist the bounds of plausibility in order to support your argument or agenda so I think its pretty cool that this gives me the precedent to say whatever I damn well please.

God, that's dumb. I really like my 360, but that shit does nothing that hasn't been done better elsewhere. If anything defined this decade, it must be motion controls, which changed the game completely.

Around the Network

define the decade ?

my ass

Xbox360 is defining NA online on console

and it is already a lot

Time to Work !

Ah yes, well rewarded and just.

If it was not for the Xbox 360, PS3 wouldn't have trophies, Online Play would be crap (Its Great for being Free) and Text chat might have never happend, also Voice chat will most likely come soonner or later, again thank to MS and there 360.

MS has done well, respect here, kindly and greatly.

lol thats stupid

they think 360 was better than the PS2

^- Well if they said that then there obivously wrong since PS2 did more for gaming then 360 or anything this gen did at all.

wait a min... i just noticed... Decade? meaning 10 years? meaning PS2 aswell? (Lol just noticed.) son of a...

Okay now i strongly disagree, please disregard my original post, the 360 did alot for gaming but not nearly as much as PS2 did.

The reason that the xbox 360 won over PS2 is online matchmaking.

That's Gordon Freeman in "Real-Life"