By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - IGN ranks Final Fantasy series

I am overwhelmed by the show of love for FFVI in this thread.

FFVI is my favorite game ever. I agree almost completely with list but Id put FFIV as second and then change VII and VIII`s positions.

But as a life lonf FF fan (who lost interest after X and XII) its nice to see people still remember the good old days.

www.jamesvandermemes.com

Around the Network

I agree with you marciosmg. FFVI was easily one of the best games I played in my entire life. For me this game has the best cast in the FF series (14 playable characters, a big variety and great characters with great stories for each one of them), the best villain in the series (Kefka destroys any other villain in the series), not the best but one of the best storylines, a lot of twists and it brings a lot of polemic stuff (like teenage pregnancy and suicide). FFVI is a true masterpiece and Kefka is unforgettable.

I wish we could have another game like VI but I don't think it will happen. Maybe a new remake for the DS just like III and IV.

jkimball said:

Everyone accepts VII was the best, but people are tired of hearing about it, and it's  now considered cool to pick something else. So we see VI appearing as number one. Vi was cool, but VII was a turning point for the genre, and the gaming industry as a whole. Alexander, Cloud, Aeries, oh sweet, sweet Aeris, sepiroth, Red lion, the approaching asteroid...and of course, chocobo breeding! Who wasn't stoked to get a Chobobo that could cross mountains?

Half the games in the series could be considered a turning point. FF7 was the first heavily marketed game in the series, and the first game in the series for many western players; thus its unusually large fanbase. You are forgetting that back in FF7's time, most existing fans still preferred FF6 or FF4, and then when FF8 was released a lot of people preferred that game too. A good number, but not everyone, liked FF7 or accepted it as the best.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

A lot of people are saying that 6 is the new 7; it's been that way for a long time. Actually, that internet movement has been dying down for a while. I remember that, a couple of years ago, on some parts of the tubes (I can't speak for VGChartz, since I haven't been lurking here for long), saying that one preferred 7 would result in huge amounts of flaming (this hasn't happened to me, but I've witnessed it a lot, and it's made me very reluctant to say that 7 is my favourite; I doubt I'm the only one who feels this way).

I'm also amused to see some of the old arguments coming out; saying that FF7 is popular only because the people who like it haven't played the older games or because they care too much about graphics (PROTIP: if they cared about graphics at all, they wouldn't like FF7 any more) is just a way of saying "the vast majority of people who disagree with me aren't in a position to make any judgements". I'm also amused that a game's graphics and higher popularity are so often used against it in an argument (this doesn't just happen in 6 vs 7 debates); if a game has better graphics, then the people who prefer it can be dismissed as graphics whores. If it's more popular, then the people who prefer it haven't played the less popular game and don't know what they're talking about.

Really, I don't know why people get so upset about people not preferring their favourite game that they have to say things like that. 6 isn't objectively better than 7, and whilst a lot of 7 fans haven't played 6, many of us have played both, don't care about graphics and still prefer 7.

(inb4 someone accuses me of being equally upset about people not liking my favourite game; I'm fine with people liking some games more than FF7, but a lot of the arguments that get used in these debates basically amount to saying that 6 is objectively better and that 7 fans are ignorant, and that really grinds my gears)

MaxwellGT2000 said:
dunno001 said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
dunno001 said:
Well... part of it is right? 6 beat 7, which is one of the big things, and 11 is down where it belongs. But 8 is way too high up, there's a rather large bias against the Famicom games (all 3 in the bottom 5?), and 9 is too low. But I guess the absolute worst thing I noticed was a factual error- FF5 did not introduce the ATB system. That was done in 4...

It said it featured the ATB system but not introduced it.  

OT: IV is personally my favorite, VI is probably second, and VII is third, but I've started to resent all the continuations (other than Crisis Core) and all the fans of the series with their emo pictures and all pissy about Sephiroth killing one person... villains before VII used to kill tons of people Kefka destroying the world, zeromus controlling people to kill whole kingdoms for crystals, I mean come on!

Well, to quote the article:

"The game also featured the first Active Time Battle gauge" (Emphasis added)

It did feature it, yes. (Didn't every FF from 4-10 feature it?) But it was not the first, which was my point.

Ahh I see now I must have missed it... odd... FFIV was the first lol hell that was the big innovation that carried on for a freaking decade and still being used in games like FFIV the after years.

People, people. IGN is in face correct. FFV WAS the first battle system to feature the Active Time GUAGE. It wasn't the first on eto introduce the Active Time Battle system though. The gauge is the thing that you can see fill up during battle.

"Pier was a chef, a gifted and respected chef who made millions selling his dishes to the residents of New York City and Boston, he even had a famous jingle playing in those cities that everyone knew by heart. He also had a restaurant in Los Angeles, but not expecting LA to have such a massive population he only used his name on that restaurant and left it to his least capable and cheapest chefs. While his New York restaurant sold kobe beef for $100 and his Boston restaurant sold lobster for $50, his LA restaurant sold cheap hotdogs for $30. Initially these hot dogs sold fairly well because residents of los angeles were starving for good food and hoped that the famous name would denote a high quality, but most were disappointed with what they ate. Seeing the success of his cheap hot dogs in LA, Pier thought "why bother giving Los Angeles quality meats when I can oversell them on cheap hotdogs forever, and since I don't care about the product anyways, why bother advertising them? So Pier continued to only sell cheap hotdogs in LA and was surprised to see that they no longer sold. Pier's conclusion? Residents of Los Angeles don't like food."

"The so-called "hardcore" gamer is a marketing brainwashed, innovation shunting, self-righteous idiot who pays videogame makers far too much money than what is delivered."

Around the Network

@Kudistos Megistos
It's not just about graphics, it's also about the popularity that the media created.

I have some questions for you:
-When did you started playing FF games?
-Did you played FFVI?
-Do you think that Sephiroth is a better villain than Kefka? Why?
-Do you think that Cloud is a better protagonist than Terra? Why?
-Do you think the storyline in VII is better? Why?
-Do you think FFVII has more twists than FFVI? Give me some examples.
-What is your favorite character in FFVII and why?

I am just a bit curious, this is not a discussion yet.

FF9 is my favorite of all time.

Followed by FF10.

FF8 is heavily overrated to my taste.

Darc Requiem said:
dunno001 said:
Hisiru said:

If you started playing FF games on NES or SNES you will probably say that FFVI is better because you followed the industry and the series, you will be able to see behind the graphics/visuals. Anyway, my opinion.

Well, I know I agree with you. It's why I rate all the games after 6 so low. I look behind the graphical shell they added, and see that inside the shell is quite hollow. Dungeon exploration is simplified, the game plot moves more linear, challenge nosedived, and the story itself never lives up to the epicness that is 6. But graphics are easier to sell, so they kept pushing those, seeming to never return to what made FF so great. I saw the throwbacks in 9, but many of the issues were left unaddressed.

Excellent post.

+1

Too bad to see IX so low... but... ahhh... FFVI <3... It has been my favorite since it was released.

solidpumar said:
FF9 is my favorite of all time.

Followed by FF10.

FF8 is heavily overrated to my taste.

I would imagine it would be hard for FFVIII to be overrated since it is one of the most divisive games in the series.

Kudistos Megistos said:

Really, I don't know why people get so upset about people not preferring their favourite game that they have to say things like that. 6 isn't objectively better than 7, and whilst a lot of 7 fans haven't played 6, many of us have played both, don't care about graphics and still prefer 7.

(inb4 someone accuses me of being equally upset about people not liking my favourite game; I'm fine with people liking some games more than FF7, but a lot of the arguments that get used in these debates basically amount to saying that 6 is objectively better and that 7 fans are ignorant, and that really grinds my gears)

It's anecdotal, but from what I've seen, a vast majority haven't played both (obviously more people missed out on FF6). Even with those who played both, often they play FF6 after FF7. It's hard to go back and play an older game and objectively rate it, especially when going in the mindset of, "Let's see what this overrated game is about."

So if you played the FF's in chronological order, and you still enjoyed FF7 more, I think you're in the minority. (...Not that it matters much)

Of course people are allowed their own preferences, but I'd say FF7 fans are attacked on the internet since they seem to dominate the "real world." It's not unlike preferring the Wii over HD consoles. "Casual" vs "Hardcore" FF fans, right?