By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - IGN ranks Final Fantasy series

taq1109 said:
i didnt know FF6 is more popular than FF7 in overseas...

this news makes me happy

It is no where near as popular.  However, most of the people that I know which started playing FF on NES or SNES think that it is a better game.  A lot of the younger people that started playing in on PS, disagree (most of them likely never even touched FF 6.)  Of course, people that started playing FF on PS2 usually don't have much interest in this debate.  Heck, most of them likely never played any of the best FF games and they may even think FF 10 is the best.

Tired of big government?
Want liberty in your lifetime?
Join us @
http://www.freestateproject.org

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
Severance said:
taq1109 said:

this news makes me happy

its just popular on the internet and IGN wants to get the hits.

their Top ten's lately are pretty desperate.

I'd actually put "desperate" as the reason FF7 was ahead of FF4.

In the past back when IGN wasn't "desperate"  both FF4 and FF6 were considered better then FF7.

With good reason.

they put a widely popular game as the second place, and then make a game popular on the internet first place. that way , flame wars are going to be made, and IGN gets more viewers.

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.

you mean FF10 or 7 is most popular with ORDINARY ppl、after all ?

↑ drawn by Tino Vainamoinen aka ex-NFG.  thx 

へんたい from japan, sorry.my english is suck,so plain english plz.  thx

FF X is still my favorite of the series then X-2 ruined it completely for me....

taq1109 said:

yes, i know alot of people who never played any final fantasy game and know how to play to zanarkand on piano.

or other people who have cloud , sephiroth avatars who don't even know who these guys are.

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.

Around the Network

IGN sure knows how to get themselves more viewers, putting VII in 2nd place was smart.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
Severance said:
Kasz216 said:
Severance said:
taq1109 said:

this news makes me happy

its just popular on the internet and IGN wants to get the hits.

their Top ten's lately are pretty desperate.

I'd actually put "desperate" as the reason FF7 was ahead of FF4.

In the past back when IGN wasn't "desperate"  both FF4 and FF6 were considered better then FF7.

With good reason.

they put a widely popular game as the second place, and then make a game popular on the internet first place. that way , flame wars are going to be made, and IGN gets more viewers.

FF6 had a decent chance to be in first place anyway however.  4 and 6 constantly shift views.

7 usually only ranks high in their lists due to being the game that brought in the most people, and being the first 3D & CGI final fantasy game.

FF7 being 2 or 1 you can see as being a product of viewership.  Not 6 however... since it is consistant with past reviews.

taq1109 said:

Yeah, more or less... or to put it a better way.

For people who haven't expirenced all the Final Fantasies as they happened.

It's partially why FF4 gets ranked so low sometimes.  The US FF4 was inferior.

In general people who started with the PS1 etc games have trouble taking the SNES sprites seriously and as such it hurts the storytelling considered by most (not all) "in the know."

oic ...thanks info guys

↑ drawn by Tino Vainamoinen aka ex-NFG.  thx 

へんたい from japan, sorry.my english is suck,so plain english plz.  thx

It's actually a good list. IMO, FFVII is too high. And I'm glad that FFVIII >> IX.
FFVI being #1 isn't a surprise at all.