By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - IGN ranks Final Fantasy series

smbu2000 said:
Kasz216 said:
Darc Requiem said:
I disagree with the list but I expect everyone to do so for the most part. Each new Final Fantasy game is all new for the most part and the changes are likely to get different reactions from the fans.

1. FFIV
2. FFVI
3. FFX
4. FFIX
5. FFV

The above games are my top five but as I've seen with each post we are all over the place.

My top 5 is similar.  Though I've never played 9.

4 vs 6 is tough for me.  I liked 6 more... however it feels like 4 was the better game objectivly.

FF4's theme of sin and repetence was much stronger held over all the characters then FF6's theme of living on in the face of trouble. 

There was some problems with Espers being too important making some of the characters pointless since their skills couldn't hold up and you could use Espers to manipulate stats freely, making them pointless except to level up for the couple times you need more then 4 people.

While FF4, everyone had a very set role and mostly were all useful.  Except Edward... never figured out what he was good for.

Edward helped with that troll in the magnetized cave. twin harps right

Yeah, but it's sad that the only time someone is helpful is when he's not in your party.  Even when you first get him it might just be better to have an empty space!

Around the Network

V or XII should take the crown not VI

Of the ones I've played, I agree 100%. Should I be afraid, now?

FreeTalkLive said:
taq1109 said:
i didnt know FF6 is more popular than FF7 in overseas...

this news makes me happy

It is no where near as popular.  However, most of the people that I know which started playing FF on NES or SNES think that it is a better game.  A lot of the younger people that started playing in on PS, disagree (most of them likely never even touched FF 6.)  Of course, people that started playing FF on PS2 usually don't have much interest in this debate.  Heck, most of them likely never played any of the best FF games and they may even think FF 10 is the best.

Exactly what I think. Most of the people started playing Final Fantasy games because the media made a big deal of the graphics in Final Fantasy VII but those people never really touched the other games before it. If you started playing FF games on NES or SNES you will probably say that FFVI is better because you followed the industry and the series, you will be able to see behind the graphics/visuals. Anyway, my opinion.

Kasz216 said:
smbu2000 said:
Kasz216 said:
Darc Requiem said:
I disagree with the list but I expect everyone to do so for the most part. Each new Final Fantasy game is all new for the most part and the changes are likely to get different reactions from the fans.

1. FFIV
2. FFVI
3. FFX
4. FFIX
5. FFV

The above games are my top five but as I've seen with each post we are all over the place.

My top 5 is similar.  Though I've never played 9.

4 vs 6 is tough for me.  I liked 6 more... however it feels like 4 was the better game objectivly.

FF4's theme of sin and repetence was much stronger held over all the characters then FF6's theme of living on in the face of trouble. 

There was some problems with Espers being too important making some of the characters pointless since their skills couldn't hold up and you could use Espers to manipulate stats freely, making them pointless except to level up for the couple times you need more then 4 people.

While FF4, everyone had a very set role and mostly were all useful.  Except Edward... never figured out what he was good for.

Edward helped with that troll in the magnetized cave. twin harps right

Yeah, but it's sad that the only time someone is helpful is when he's not in your party.  Even when you first get him it might just be better to have an empty space!

The reason is right there in front of you "you spoony bard"

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

Around the Network
Hisiru said:

If you started playing FF games on NES or SNES you will probably say that FFVI is better because you followed the industry and the series, you will be able to see behind the graphics/visuals. Anyway, my opinion.

Well, I know I agree with you. It's why I rate all the games after 6 so low. I look behind the graphical shell they added, and see that inside the shell is quite hollow. Dungeon exploration is simplified, the game plot moves more linear, challenge nosedived, and the story itself never lives up to the epicness that is 6. But graphics are easier to sell, so they kept pushing those, seeming to never return to what made FF so great. I saw the throwbacks in 9, but many of the issues were left unaddressed.

-dunno001

-On a quest for the truly perfect game; I don't think it exists...

dunno001 said:
Hisiru said:

If you started playing FF games on NES or SNES you will probably say that FFVI is better because you followed the industry and the series, you will be able to see behind the graphics/visuals. Anyway, my opinion.

Well, I know I agree with you. It's why I rate all the games after 6 so low. I look behind the graphical shell they added, and see that inside the shell is quite hollow. Dungeon exploration is simplified, the game plot moves more linear, challenge nosedived, and the story itself never lives up to the epicness that is 6. But graphics are easier to sell, so they kept pushing those, seeming to never return to what made FF so great. I saw the throwbacks in 9, but many of the issues were left unaddressed.

Excellent post.

IGN's list is close to mine, except I would take 8 and put it in first.

8 simply excelled in a lot of areas; best towns, best music, best setting, best secondary cast, one of the better main casts, and one of the better stories.

6 would be my second favourite. Both 8 and 6 have a sort of a steam punk theme. I like how 8 uses orchestrated music to emphasize it; but FF6's music is probably my second favourite.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

The punks. How do they dare to put FFXII so low?

Everyone accepts VII was the best, but people are tired of hearing about it, and it's  now considered cool to pick something else. So we see VI appearing as number one. Vi was cool, but VII was a turning point for the genre, and the gaming industry as a whole. Alexander, Cloud, Aeries, oh sweet, sweet Aeris, sepiroth, Red lion, the approaching asteroid...and of course, chocobo breeding! Who wasn't stoked to get a Chobobo that could cross mountains?

Trying to convince me the Wii is a real adult game machine 'if you play it right' is like trying to convince me Tofu tastes great 'if you just cook it right'