By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Shiggy gives a different reason for no online in NSMBWii

RolStoppable said:
Words Of Wisdom said:

Let's be honest with ourselves, Miyamoto could have just said "Fuck online" and people here would have been just as happy with his answer.

I completely agree.

As a very wise man once said: "Nintendo is lazy and you don't care".

Yup because Zelda Wii is coming and I dont care about anything else.

Around the Network
Farmageddon said:
dtewi said:
Farmageddon said:
dtewi said:
It hasn't been a problem thus far to stop anyone else from the inclusion of online in their games. Except Nintendo games. Do you see something odd here?

Sure, they're not big on online, but that doesn't change the fact that simply adding online to NSMB Wii wouldn't be enought. Also, like I said before, LBP for example has online, but it's built so that it works well with that. Platformers are more sensitive to lag than shooters or racers.

Do you mean more prone to lag or it is much more horrible if you experience lag in a platformer than a shooter?

I mean it's worse if you experience it, specially in the sense that it's harder to mask and can be more frustrating.

Why's it worse? You can die just as easily from lag in any other game.

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

Mario is an extremely precision based game.  In a world 7 castle there's a pipe under a platform that takes a perfect spin jump to reach.  If you lag there you're dead.  The game was designed so that perfect jump got you there.  To some extent that's how all Mario games play.   NSMB Wii is even worse with lag because of the immaculate level design.  You can tell there's a speed run hidden in most levels, even more so than the old games.  What's lag do if you have to time the jump on the koopa perfectly?

Lag in Mario is worse than other games.  You can't die as easily in COD or other FPS games.  We have spray and pray and lag leading there.  There are so many bullets that you have a probability of hitting and they don't usually kill you instantly.  In Mario, you miss a jump and you're replaying half the level.

Even LBP has gameplay differences that make it possible for multiplayer.  The precision in jumping and timing is nothing like Mario.  It feels much sloppier and less reactive with jumps, where as in Mario I know exactly how long and hard to press the button for the jump I need.  Additionally there are many respawn points in LBP right before hard areas, each with several lives.  In NSMB Wii, you lag, you die.  And start over from the beginning or halfway point.  That is a fundamental change in the gameplay.  Including checkpoints like LBP would have made the game a joke.

If you guys can't find friends to play Mario with or want to play this game so often that you can't play something else at 3am, you guys are more Mario obsessed than myself and my friends.  And if there's one thing I learned from SSBB it's that online multiplayer sucks in games where the main joy results from yelling at and laughing with your friends.

I didn't even mention how lag would hurt 4 players.  Sometimes you're all on a small platform and one player is bouncing off everyone's heads for several seconds trying to fall in the only open spot.  Can you imagine that with lag? 

If people think lag wouldn't affect this game they never really understood Mario.  You can walk or move safely through most levels and die far less often, but that's not how people play Mario.  The point is to run as fast as you can and bounce off everything and anything in a frantic race to the end, perfectly timed.  It's like people who stopped running in Sonic.  You weren't supposed to stop!  Can you imagine lag in carnival night zone?

Euphoria14 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
"Nothing would have to get sacrificed if NSMBWii had online multiplayer"

Designing the game to fit it would be one.

Designed to fit on the disc? If so I call bullshit. The NSMB Wii disc is filled with a lot of extra garbage and the actual game itself is barely above 700MB.

I meant level design, physics, collision, and many other things, that would all have to be changed to fit online play. What the hell made you think I meant storage? Online doesn't work that way.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network
dtewi said:
Farmageddon said:
dtewi said:
Farmageddon said:
dtewi said:
It hasn't been a problem thus far to stop anyone else from the inclusion of online in their games. Except Nintendo games. Do you see something odd here?

Sure, they're not big on online, but that doesn't change the fact that simply adding online to NSMB Wii wouldn't be enought. Also, like I said before, LBP for example has online, but it's built so that it works well with that. Platformers are more sensitive to lag than shooters or racers.

Do you mean more prone to lag or it is much more horrible if you experience lag in a platformer than a shooter?

I mean it's worse if you experience it, specially in the sense that it's harder to mask and can be more frustrating.

Why's it worse? You can die just as easily from lag in any other game.

Read oobob's reply there :)

Also, games try to mask lag, that's a lot easier in many cases like, say, a jet fighting game or even a racer whereas other genrers are harder, and that can reduce the consequences of lag, or at the least the ones you notice.

Back in 2D glorious times, the maximum of tech was colour, multiplayer was at most 2 players and, if necessary, split screen, and there weren't devilments like online, people said "MMORPG" and the likes only during laborious digestion or after drinking beer, true 2D fans would hate it!

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

i reckon it would be crazy hard online, i mean the random person your playing with might fuck ya up lol

Do people really think it's because of Nintendo being lazy?!? I can't think of another games developer where the saying "It will be releaased when it's ready" applies more. The only thing you can say is that Nintendo have different priorities, another developer migh have added on-line multiplayer, but the main game wouldn't have been nowhere near as pollished. In any case the amount of money Nintendo are making shows they are and continue to make the correct choices.

"Nintendo is lazy" was supposedly a joke on IGN's but it's been used so much that it's really hard to tell whether it's sarcasm.