By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Shiggy gives a different reason for no online in NSMBWii

I thought we were done with the NSMBW should've had online stuff. I warped back to November 2009 again. No one here complains when local muiltplayer is taken out for online. But when they take out online and have only local muiltplayer. Yeah we all know this is just a excuse to attack the wii. I could do the same with the other systems

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

Around the Network
nordlead said:
stof said:
I don't know why they left it out. All I know was that it was a major disappointment that they did.

I see people here saying "local is better than online"... So!? What's that have to do with not putting in the feature? How are people that would like to play with each other online but can't supposed to be reassured by the fact that "well if you could get together to play, it would be a lot better than the online multiplayer that you want but aren't getting?"

Nothing would have to get sacrificed if NSMBWii had online multiplayer. But there would be so much to gain though. It really inexcusable at this point that Nintendo can't even include online in their major flagship titles. Mario, Fit and Sports Resort should all feature online. They'd have nothing to lose, and a lot of game and system sales to gain.

I think Nintendo took the better road than most other companies. Where is the local multiplayer in Killzone 2, Dirt 2, and hosts of other games that have multiplayer, just not local. Reviewers used your argument to dock points from NSMBWii, but replace online with local and no one gives a crap, but luckily Nintendo does.

Now, lack of online multiplayer is a legitimate complaint, but everyone knew it wouldn't since we first learned of the game. However, sales of this game shows that the "hardcore" forum dwelling video game player is out of touch with reality, in that most people don't care and would much rather play with family/friends in one place, or don't even care about the online component in this game. This game will sell 20-30m units but online would tack on what, maybe a few 100k sales?

I'd say it's quite stupid to leave out local multiplayer. But what's that have to do with anything?

How does the game selling well mean that they shouldn't have put in online? Why does wanting online mean that you can't also want to play with friends and family? why is someone out of touch for wanting a feature that's in the vast majority of games now a days? a feature that people love even in other Nintendo games. People here love Mario Kart multiplayer. And they'd love Mario multiplayer too. But here are some things that would happen If NSMBWii had multiplayer (and it could still come out in time for Christmas); There would be a VG chartz Mario online league, and dozens of people on here would be happily playing the game together. 

I could play with friends that live in other cities. To those that use the "why don't you just play with your friends", I say you're very lucky to live so close to all of your friends. Lots of friends and family would love the chance to play mario together even though they can't always be in the same house. And if you could use Wii speak... That would be fantastic. 

Having online multiplayer doesn't mean that everyone can't ahve the exact same local multiplayer experience. It just means more people can play together and more people can have more fun. Why would anyone argue against more people having more fun?

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Euphoria14 said:
Innervate said:
Euphoria14 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
"Nothing would have to get sacrificed if NSMBWii had online multiplayer"

Designing the game to fit it would be one.

Designed to fit on the disc? If so I call bullshit. The NSMB Wii disc is filled with a lot of extra garbage and the actual game itself is barely above 700MB.

I doubt he's referring to storage space. New Super Mario Bros Wii is built around local multiplayer, online multiplayer would mean they have to also worry about network problems like latency. A fast pace 2D platforming game with collision detection would be unplayable online by most people.

While I have no issues with the game in it's current state even though I used to, I wouldn't accept an excuse like this from a company who boasted about having the most powerful developers.

The point is, for the game to work well online, it'd have to be changed.  Changed in the sense of the physics, the pacing, the stages, etc, so that it wouldn't fell broken for most people. Now, that means they'd have to make a different game, and that's not the game they wanted to make. The online multiplayer was not even close to being more important than both the singler player and local multiplayer so that they'd re-shape the game because of it.

The alternative would be to actually pack two games in one, so that online would control different and all that, but that'd not only be a lot of trouble, it would feel off and unpolished, unless they took a lot of time on it, wich simply wouldn't pay back and would push the game back, wich would be very bad not only for the game, missing the holidays, but for Wii overall. And it'd most likelly still not be nearly as good a mode as the others. So, yeah.

^^What exactly would they have to change for online to work!? The game can have one to four players. Whether the players are sitting in one, two, three or four rooms doesn't mean the platforms have to be in different places.

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Here's probably what happened: Nintendo is too lazy to do online and hides behind the agrument local multiplayer is the only way to play it with other people.

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

Around the Network
stof said:
^^What exactly would they have to change for online to work!? The game can have one to four players. Whether the players are sitting in one, two, three or four rooms doesn't mean the platforms have to be in different places.

It would have to change so it's not as affected by latency and sync problems etc, the way it is now a lot of people would have some serious problems with it, so it wouldn't work well. I know, LBP works, but LBP is a lot different in basic design, and that's the kind of difference I'm talking about.

Farmageddon said:
stof said:

It would have to change so it's not as affected by latency and sync problems etc, the way it is now a lot of people would have some serious problems with it, so it wouldn't work well. I know, LBP works, but LBP is a lot different in basic design, and that's the kind of difference I'm talking about.

So basically, they predict the EXACT moment you would have lag and make the platform just a little lower?

Sugu yoko de waratteita

I will never leave you

dtewi said:
Farmageddon said:
stof said:

So basically, they predict the EXACT moment you would have lag and make the platform just a little lower?

I don't think that's what I said :P

But it has to do with things like speed, size, and precision, I believe. There are ways to "mask" lag (at least small amounts of), but the shorter the timespan of your movement and the more important precision is and the more controls you have over it, the worse it'll feel.

Farmageddon said:
dtewi said:
Farmageddon said:
stof said:

I don't think that's what I said :P

But it has to do with things like speed, size, and precision, I believe. There are ways to "mask" lag (at least small amounts of), but the shorter the timespan of your movement and the more important precision is and the more controls you have over it, the worse it'll feel.

If that is not what you said, then what in the world would they change?

Sugu yoko de waratteita

I will never leave you

Tons of different games over different genres play just fine. Mario isn't somehow exempt. Aside from the "might delay it past a holiday season release" argument (which is an excuse, not a reason), there's no logical reason to leave out online play.