By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Poll: Is the PSP Go a failure (saleswise)?

Poll: Is the PSP Go a failure (saleswise)?

Yes! Media Create numbers are terrible. 66 34.02%

Kind of, Sony must have h... 22 11.34%

It needs a price cut and it will be fine. 29 14.95%

No, it is doing in line with expectations 22 11.34%

Who expected this to sell in the first place? 55 28.35%

Total:194
mario64 said:
@kenny : how is it so bad ? Please explain.

- it's lighter than a standard PSP
- it's sexier
- it's smaller
- the screen is better
- it has 16 Gb memory included

How can better be worse ?

Really? Fair enough...

It's a complete and utter rip-off.

You can't buy pre-owned games and movies for it.

You can't trade in games when you're done with them.

You can't rent games for it.

The screen is smaller.

It's awkward to hold and play.

Also, you could buy 16 gb of memory with a 3000 and it would still work out cheaper so that's null. So, long story short, the pnly things the Go has going for it are that it weighs a bit less and it's easier to carry around. Sweet fuck all in other words.

Around the Network

It deffinatly needa a pricecut... after it will get one, Im betting it could do 5million+ LT, but it needs a sub 200$ pricetag first

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

@kenny: I disagree. I suspect most people don't like the Go simply because... they can't afford one. Same reason why PS3 was hated and is now loved... because it's affordable. That or they already have a PSP and want to be able to use their UMDs on the new model.

Personnally, I don't care about old UMDs I didn't have any PSP before my Go. Sony clearly stated non PSP owner was the target here...

I don't care about reselling games, I never resell games and so do many people like me who can pay 250 € for a handheld console. I have better things to do with my time than selling games, plus I enjoy collecting them anyway.

I don't think it's awkward to hold and play at all, I actually prefer that handling to the classical PSP handling. Feels more like a DS or old 'games and watch' first video games. Controls are better at the bottom, not on sides.

So what I said still hold true for me. Lighter, sexier, more portable, with a better screen. Keep your 3 kg old PSP and don't forget to bring the 12 UMDs with you. All I see is it wouldn't even fit in my pocket...

To each his own I guess...

dunno001 said:
I'm more interested in watching the DSLite sales to the PSPGo. A DS that is 2 models older than the newest one is outselling the Go 4:1 this (and the past few) week. I really think that Sony's trying to spin this however they can publically, but internally, it's being referred to as a failure.

Amazingly the DS Lite is still at it's original launch price of 16,800 yen.(which is also the current price of the psp 3000). The DS Lite never had a price drop in Japan like it did in the West.

I'm surprised it's still selling so many units as it's only 2000 yen more to get a DSi.

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

How the hell is "Selling above our expectations" spin?

I swear it's like no matter what SONY just can't win...

4 ≈ One

Around the Network
kennyrester said:
mario64 said:
@kenny : how is it so bad ? Please explain.

- it's lighter than a standard PSP
- it's sexier
- it's smaller
- the screen is better
- it has 16 Gb memory included

How can better be worse ?

Really? Fair enough...

It's a complete and utter rip-off.

You can't buy pre-owned games and movies for it.

You can't trade in games when you're done with them.

You can't rent games for it.

The screen is smaller.

It's awkward to hold and play.

Also, you could buy 16 gb of memory with a 3000 and it would still work out cheaper so that's null. So, long story short, the pnly things the Go has going for it are that it weighs a bit less and it's easier to carry around. Sweet fuck all in other words.

It may be awkward to hold for you but not everyone. I find the DS and regular PSP uncomfortable but the PSPGo just fine because the L and R's feel higher. Also it's 16GB internal AND you could add more space. The max on a PSP3000 is 16Gb unless your more of a well informed buyer and shop online [most don't] for this freaky dual microSD adapter and 2 16GB microSD's.

4 ≈ One

Yeah Dgc, some people even argued that FF13 didn't sell consoles in another thread, while that week alone Sony sold 1 million PS3s worldwide.

That's pathetic and laughable, but if there's one thing I understood long before I registered here, it's that any opinion can be defended, even the most stupid ones.

Well, I have my thoughts on the Go. When I bought my PSP, the Go was announced, but not yet out. But I knew I didn't want the Go from the get-go. (Even before I knew what it would cost...) I don't care about UMD Videos, and I don't resell games. But, there are more PSP games availiable on UMD than PSN, and even the things that are only on PSN can also be accessed on a 3000. And game pricing, it's nice being able to pick up cheaper used games, especially when also on sale, which is not an option on PSN.

Size also turns out to be a nice benefit for me. I have rather large hands (typical for an adult male, I would guess), and they cramp when I hold something too small. I tried holding the PSP Go for a bit, and I knew the way I held it instinctively would cramp my hand. Plus, the 3000 still fits in my jeans pocket, and should I feel the need to have more games with me, I have several UMD holders (each holds 5 games) that clip to a belt loop. And the game collector in me? What if I get too many games for the PSP Go? No matter what, I can't bring them all with me at that point. The 3000 fits all my needs for a gaming system, something the PSP Go can't do.

-dunno001

-On a quest for the truly perfect game; I don't think it exists...

smbu2000 said:
dunno001 said:
I'm more interested in watching the DSLite sales to the PSPGo. A DS that is 2 models older than the newest one is outselling the Go 4:1 this (and the past few) week. I really think that Sony's trying to spin this however they can publically, but internally, it's being referred to as a failure.

Amazingly the DS Lite is still at it's original launch price of 16,800 yen.(which is also the current price of the psp 3000). The DS Lite never had a price drop in Japan like it did in the West.

I'm surprised it's still selling so many units as it's only 2000 yen more to get a DSi.

The thing is it has nothing to do with the PSP. Comparing PSP sales to DS sales makes as much sense as comparing Wii sales to 360/PS3 sales, which is... not much.

One (DS / Wii) is mostly bought and played by casual players like my grandmother or my 5 year old nephews who know nothing about traditional video games, FPS, RPG and so on, while the other one (PSP / PS3 / 360) is aimed a traditional gamers who love FPS / RPG/ adventure games and don't care about waving their arms or dancing in front of their TV.

Now there ARE hardcore gamers and games on DS and Wii, but it's clearly not the target of those consoles. The big majority of DS / Wii owners are casual gamers. The two crowds don't mix well at all.

It's like comparing apples and oranges actually. Of course, casual gamers are more numerous...

There were more than 50 million PSP sold in the world, this is a huge success, even more considering the target customer was the core gamer.

The Go itself didn't sell a lot, but it's an expensive premium product, so expectations were very low. On the other hand, it helped sell more traditional PSP too and PS3s, like Bravia TVs do or any other advanced technological product by Sony.

May I posit that the only reason you two find it less awkward to hold is because you have little baby girl hands?