By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Poll: Is the PSP Go a failure (saleswise)?

Poll: Is the PSP Go a failure (saleswise)?

Yes! Media Create numbers are terrible. 66 34.02%

Kind of, Sony must have h... 22 11.34%

It needs a price cut and it will be fine. 29 14.95%

No, it is doing in line with expectations 22 11.34%

Who expected this to sell in the first place? 55 28.35%

Total:194

Well you can certainly say so, but it's just wrong. I've got long fingers, just not fat. Maybe it's more awkward with fat fingers, I don't know.

Around the Network
mario64 said:
Yeah Dgc, some people even argued that FF13 didn't sell consoles in another thread, while that week alone Sony sold 1 million PS3s worldwide.

That's pathetic and laughable, but if there's one thing I understood long before I registered here, it's that any opinion can be defended, even the most stupid ones.

That's why it's called an, "opinion". Deal with it.

Follow Me: twitter.com/alkamiststar

Watch Me: youtube.com/alkamiststar

Play Along: XBL & SEN : AlkamistStar

mario64 said:
smbu2000 said:
dunno001 said:
I'm more interested in watching the DSLite sales to the PSPGo. A DS that is 2 models older than the newest one is outselling the Go 4:1 this (and the past few) week. I really think that Sony's trying to spin this however they can publically, but internally, it's being referred to as a failure.

Amazingly the DS Lite is still at it's original launch price of 16,800 yen.(which is also the current price of the psp 3000). The DS Lite never had a price drop in Japan like it did in the West.

I'm surprised it's still selling so many units as it's only 2000 yen more to get a DSi.

The thing is it has nothing to do with the PSP. Comparing PSP sales to DS sales makes as much sense as comparing Wii sales to 360/PS3 sales, which is... not much.

One (DS / Wii) is mostly bought and played by casual players like my grandmother or my 5 year old nephews who know nothing about traditional video games, FPS, RPG and so on, while the other one (PSP / PS3 / 360) is aimed a traditional gamers who love FPS / RPG/ adventure games and don't care about waving their arms or dancing in front of their TV.

Now there ARE hardcore gamers and games on DS and Wii, but it's clearly not the target of those consoles. The big majority of DS / Wii owners are casual gamers. The two crowds don't mix well at all.

It's like comparing apples and oranges actually. Of course, casual gamers are more numerous...

There were more than 50 million PSP sold in the world, this is a huge success, even more considering the target customer was the core gamer.

The Go itself didn't sell a lot, but it's an expensive premium product, so expectations were very low. On the other hand, it helped sell more traditional PSP too and PS3s, like Bravia TVs do or any other advanced technological product by Sony.

What's the proof of this? It certainly doesn't help sell more PSP 3000s since the sale of PSP has dropped comparing to last year.

As for "selling above expectation is not a spin", the initial shipment for PSP Go in Japan is 150K units and it has sold 64.4K so far (based on OP). Was Sony really expecting to sell out its first shipment of PSP Go after more than 6 months it launched which includes the Christmas-New Year, the busiest shopping season in Japan? Maybe it's the retailer's fault to order that many units of PSP Go and Sony only expected it to sell 50K.

MikeB predicts that the PS3 will sell about 140 million units by the end of 2016 and triple the amount of 360s in the long run.

@Alkamist : I deal with it.

Now people who write those things must also deal with people making fun of them, like all of those who predicted the PS3 was doomed and are now being laughed at every day. Karma I guess.

Dgc1808 said:

How the hell is "Selling above our expectations" spin?

I swear it's like no matter what SONY just can't win...

Do you really have to ask that question? Let's see barely outselling the dying PS2? Check. Getting crushed in weekly sales but the barely selling the 360? Check.

Around the Network
Darc Requiem said:

Dgc1808 said:

How the hell is "Selling above our expectations" spin?

I swear it's like no matter what SONY just can't win...

Do you really have to ask that question? Let's see barely outselling the dying PS2? Check. Getting crushed in weekly sales but the barely selling the 360? Check.

I still don't get it. They're telling you it's selling as well or better than they planned. I don't see how they're spinning or dodging anything.

4 ≈ One

the go is a joke, I don't see the invovations showcase some people speak about.
Higher price
smaller screen

enough said...
oh wait no... sony should not be showcasing expensive R&D that brings nothing to their market when they are far from a confortable profit level for investors....

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

If the PSP Go is selling above expectations, then the PSP-3000 is selling far worse than expectations. Because overall the PSP platform is well below estimates, so one of the two or both are selling poorly.

Anyone can guess. It takes no effort to throw out lots of predictions and have some of them be correct. You are not and wiser or better for having your guesses be right. Even a blind man can hit the bullseye.

At this point I think everyone has to admit that it is a big failure.

Dgc1808 said:
kennyrester said:
mario64 said:
@kenny : how is it so bad ? Please explain.

- it's lighter than a standard PSP
- it's sexier
- it's smaller
- the screen is better
- it has 16 Gb memory included

How can better be worse ?

Really? Fair enough...

It's a complete and utter rip-off.

You can't buy pre-owned games and movies for it.

You can't trade in games when you're done with them.

You can't rent games for it.

The screen is smaller.

It's awkward to hold and play.

Also, you could buy 16 gb of memory with a 3000 and it would still work out cheaper so that's null. So, long story short, the pnly things the Go has going for it are that it weighs a bit less and it's easier to carry around. Sweet fuck all in other words.

It may be awkward to hold for you but not everyone. I find the DS and regular PSP uncomfortable but the PSPGo just fine because the L and R's feel higher. Also it's 16GB internal AND you could add more space. The max on a PSP3000 is 16Gb unless your more of a well informed buyer and shop online [most don't] for this freaky dual microSD adapter and 2 16GB microSD's.

umm. not completely true:

may i present to you this:

http://www.amazon.com/MicroSD-MicroSDHC-Adapter-Converts-Cards/dp/B001RPEJA4

but also the thing is the PSPGo also contain's Bluetooth which the REG/ PSP's do not have

upgraded ram also!

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.