By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - I just cancelled FF XIII

Andysw said:
a12331 said:
jneul said:
Just to remind everyone I will still be renting FF XIII, even if WKC is like FF XII it will be bearable, In FF XIII not being able to choose your character for most of the game is a really bad thing to do, IMO, SE needs to learn it can't get away with these kinds of decisions, gimping the FF series should not be accepted in any way.

i do not know what the problem with what they did is. i found it that it worked well and they wanted you to be involved with the story and not want this character. SE did a great job with ff13 and you are truely judging a game before even playing it. 

Lets put it this way,

Good:

Graphics

Story

Bad:

Can only control one character per battle

No leveling up system

Cannot buy items

First couple hours are straight linear

yup pretty much sum's up why i cancelled it, but like i said the biggest deal breaker for me was the battle system, i don't mind linearity, because it actually worked well in FFX, but FF XIII has more bad points then good, perhaps SE should look at their prorities again, becuase to me it should be story & game play >> graphics

it's the future of handheld

PS VITA = LIFE

The official Vita thread http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1

Around the Network
darkknightkryta said:
perpride said:
Dude the simple fact that you have Rinoa as your avatar means that you should not have canceled FFXIII.

How could you let a change in the battle system stop you from purchasing the next installment? Personally, I trust Square. Almost every change they've made to Final Fantasy has been welcome by me. I played the demo for FFXIII, and it was brilliant. Better (by far) than any RPG I've played in years. The story itself is enough to guarantee a purchase from me.

Anyway, to each his own. This game is going to be massive. I've been frantically looking around my city to see if anyone is selling an imported copy. I only wish I had the Japanese version to play until the U.S version is released. It's kinda funny how something you would simply cancel is something I want extremely bad and cant get my hands on.

We can always take a ride down to Pmall Pride, they had white knight chronicles last time I was there.  Plus there's that something garden's mall to the south.  I say white knight chronicles meaning they might have imported Final Fantasy XIII.

You serious? Dude we should hit that place up!!!! If you're at that thing later today we will discuss!

Good for you. I did not even bother to preorder this game since it will be as boring as any other jrpg.

wait theres no leveling up system? no shops? you can't control more than one character at a time? and its fucking linear?

so in other words, they made this game so every 12 year old on the planet can easily beat it?

im canceling my preorder, I live with Versus....unless they make that complete crap as well.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, FFXIII is going to underperform what many peoples expectations are. Many peoples (online) expectations are for it to 'revive the series' and 'sell 6-8 million units'. Whereas its probably going to sell similar to FFXII or even less.

And a good example is this thread. People are not interested in a game that's just looking to be a repeat of all the past FF games with a new coat of paint or yet another Final Fantasy game promising 'amazing graphics you will never believe'...that pretty much comes down to 30 hours of FMVs and dialogue and 10-15 hours of boring repetitive gameplay.

I know many FF fans will probably tear me to pieces for saying these things, but overall, some people have to admit. Every other game or so, the FF series pretty much focuses on either STORY AND GRAPHICS or trying to deliver a complete package with gameplay included. This one is shaping up to be one of those 'story and graphics' ones, like FFVII. The series needs more titles like FFVI, VIII and FFX, where gameplay and customization were a factor.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

Around the Network
onikenshi said:
adriane23 said:
Wow if I based my game buying decisions on reviews I'd have like 8 games. Good thing I value my opinion over some dude writing a review.

Actually you would have more than that lol this gen ALOT of games got high scores...well as far as HD goes because the award to the most low rated games seems to have gone to Wii.

Lol maybe I exaggerated, I would probably have like 20 games. A lot of games that got high scores really sucked in my opinion, so if I bought games based on those high review scores (I bought Oblivion: GOTY Edition and took it back the next day) I would've ended up hating them and returning the game. I look at a lot of gameplay footage before I decide to buy most games, so even if they get a mediocre score, I'll buy it to see for myself.

I am the Playstation Avenger.

perpride said:
darkknightkryta said:
perpride said:
Dude the simple fact that you have Rinoa as your avatar means that you should not have canceled FFXIII.

How could you let a change in the battle system stop you from purchasing the next installment? Personally, I trust Square. Almost every change they've made to Final Fantasy has been welcome by me. I played the demo for FFXIII, and it was brilliant. Better (by far) than any RPG I've played in years. The story itself is enough to guarantee a purchase from me.

Anyway, to each his own. This game is going to be massive. I've been frantically looking around my city to see if anyone is selling an imported copy. I only wish I had the Japanese version to play until the U.S version is released. It's kinda funny how something you would simply cancel is something I want extremely bad and cant get my hands on.

We can always take a ride down to Pmall Pride, they had white knight chronicles last time I was there.  Plus there's that something garden's mall to the south.  I say white knight chronicles meaning they might have imported Final Fantasy XIII.

You serious? Dude we should hit that place up!!!! If you're at that thing later today we will discuss!

I'll be there.  But there's no guarantee they brought the game over.  Mind you I havn't been to the mall to the south, but they might have something.

Jedidiah-Rose said:
Because,new games are better old games.

This is SO not true. Since this is a FF thread, I'll state that the best ones were back on cartridges. Nonetheless, I'd hazard a guess that nobody on this site will say for the FF series that '6
As for the actual subject, the sheer amount of negative reviews with solid reasoning behind them has led to my roommate also cancelling her preorder. Final Fantasy is not the "ultimate JRPG" anymore. Sales in Japan indicate that DQ seems to be more thought of there, over here in the US, people are leaving Squeenix for the smaller JRPG publishers, like Atlus or NIS America. And most who move away, realize how many better JRPGs there really are out there...

-dunno001

-On a quest for the truly perfect game; I don't think it exists...

one of the biggest mistakes u made

For the people questioning how much of an FF fan she is and saying she should go out and just buy the game and see for herself, I think you guys missed the part where jneul said she did this with FFXII and ended up UNHAPPY with the decision.

What's wrong with making sure you don't waste your money? Are you all insisting she should risk making the same mistake TWICE? Atleast jneul says she'll rent and try it out.

OT: I'm actually a little more hyped for WKC aswel. My bro's buying FFXIII no matter what so I'm just gonna try it out at his house b4 I buy it. The battle system doesn't seem bad for me in FFXIII, it's the part about NOT picking which character I want to use, the little choice in who's gonna be in my party, and the fact that the game goes on like this for the first 15 hours+. 15 hours is TOO much for me.

4 ≈ One