By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will Natal boost hardware sales ?

Too expensive and too late, it won't push it too much.

Around the Network

It would be impossible to say now. There are still far too many unknown things to take into consideration.

1. Just when exactly will it launch? July? September? December?
2. How much will it cost seperately?
3. Will it be bundled? How much will the bundle cost?
4. Will Microsoft address the issues with lag that have been reported?
5. Will Sony release a software update that allows the PlayStation Eye to mimic most of Natal's features?
6. What software will Natal be launched with? Will any be bundled?

How can someone have zero posts?

Tired of big government?
Want liberty in your lifetime?
Join us @
http://www.freestateproject.org

FreeTalkLive said:
How can someone have zero posts?

By never posting.

I imagine it and the wand will be a failure. It's not an issue of technology, but there are a couple problems.

1) Developers will avoid it like they do the Wii remote. If we've learned anything this generation it's that developers are generally uncreative. Making Wii games is a risk, and that risk just skyrocketed making HD games on a HD system with all those associated HD costs.

If anything they'll be control options and an interesting novelty, which is exactly what the PS360 crowd has treated motion controls like anyway.

2) Sony and Microsoft and 3rd parties in general have been laughing at the expanded audience. They've made no effort nor shown any desire to get to know the audience they're trying to capture. This is going to come back and bite them in the ass big time.

It's kind of weird how people are predicting natal and wand to be some second coming of massive sales, especially since up til the day they were announced motion controls were supposed to be some shitty gimmick that wasn't worthy of gaming in general.

The sad reality is no one is making motion controls worth a damn except Nintendo. 3rd parties are utterly and helplessly clueless. Only Nintendo games sell on Wii for a reason: 3rd party developers suck, and that's really the only people who will be programming for natal and wand.

First time I saw natal 2 things popped into my head:
Coolest thing ever, endless possibilities
and
Too bad no one will do anything with it

Makes me sad, to be honest :( We went from 2d graphics to 3rd graphics just like we're moving from 2d control to 3d control and the industry as a whole is sitting with their thumbs up their asses goin MORE BLOOM!

Around the Network

Natal will probably sell 2-4 million from launch to end of 2010 and after that it will depend on popularity. If they release a bundled package it will significantly boost hardware for the 2010 holiday if it is not bundled the effect will be less

Gearbox said:
first of all. how is the playstation home a failure? go on it and tell me how many times u hear the cash sound while in the mall. that sound means something was bought.

i decided to go on it yesterday actaully just to c whats changed. 22 rooms, with like 30 mini games was a fun waste of time. :)

anyways, i think natal will move some software because I know a crazy amount of people who think its revolutionary (even tho its not ) so congrats to microsoft for reinventing the 360 once again. :) (Y)

LOL! No it doesn't!  It's the sound of the people playing chess!  Every time a piece is captured!

Mummelmann said:
scat398 said:
Actually hus there is plenty of buzz. All the analysts that cover the gaming industry have mentioned natal As a big deal for 2010. You don't have a problem with it having some buzz, do you?

Yeah, but who's catching that buzz? Do casuals listen to podcasts or see E3 videos or read analysts articles? That's the customer this is mainly aiming for so getting it hyped among people like us won't really do a whole lot in the long run. I'm getting an Elite myself in a few weeks but I don't want to waste my money on these silly motion controllers on the HD consoles, its not what they're about at all.

No, but they watch late night TV shows and morning news programs.  They read science and home magazines.  All of which Natal has been featured on

Natal boosted Xbox 360 sales by 30-40k just on the announcement at E3. The actual hardware itself has capured peoples imaginations so all Microsoft needs to do now is meet half of the expectations on the product and it'll probably move quite a few more Xbox 360s than near all games released this generation.

Tease.

RolStoppable said:

As usual, I have hit your weak spot for massive damage and the only option you have left is to cast Shell and Protes at the same time on yourself.

Oh well. Too bad that I ran out of MP and can't cast Dispel anymore.

Your attacks make the other guy confused and they just end up hurting themselves. Luckily your intimidate lowers their attack so they don't hurt themselves too badly.

Tease.