By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Did Lady GaGa open the door for Techno Pop mainstream music?

Anybody in this thread ever heard of Depeche Mode? Along with R.E.M. and the Rolling Stones, they were one of the 3 hugest touring acts of the entire 1990's. I'd say that's pretty mainstream.

Around the Network

Yeah.

You could even go back to the 80's and look at the even older electronic-infused acts like Soft Cell or Devo.

The real reason that it is more popular now is that (IMO) its much easier to get a copy of fruity loops, auto-tune and make your own crappy electro-pop song. Back in the day, it required a bit more know-how to program a sequencer, and make techno music. Heck, look at YMO and Kraftwerk's rigs from the 70's - what took 4-7 people back then for techno can now be done by any person in their basement.

Devo would be the best example. They were decently popular in the 80's, and were formed in 1973.

Oh, and YMO is considered 'Technopop' - they were quite successful in the 70s, playing sold out shows like this:

And YMO totally destroys anything Lady Gaga can come up with. She just combines a little bit of techno with typical pop hooks - absolutely nothing new. 20 years from now, she will be on the ash heap of music history while guys like YMO, Devo and Kraftwerk's contributions to music continue to pile up.

I wonder if she even knows how to program a sequencer.

*edit*

One thing to look up, Leo-J is the New Wave genre from the late 70's and early 80's. That genre was entirely based on electronic beats and pop singing, which became the dominant style of pop music in the early 80's. Gaga isn't very different from New Wave, outside of the fact she has more hip-hop hook influences.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

The Ghost of RubangB said:
Anybody in this thread ever heard of Depeche Mode? Along with R.E.M. and the Rolling Stones, they were one of the 3 hugest touring acts of the entire 1990's. I'd say that's pretty mainstream.

Not to mention they've sold over 75 million albums WW or something crazy.

leo-j said:
ok sorry, Im not an old generation music listener..

To my experience, from the late 90s onwards, there has been no mainstream techno pop, and if there was techno, it wouldn't hit the air.

I dont know, but LADY GAGA could not play her music in the mainstream radio, because they said "DANCE TECHNO MUSIC IS NOT POP, IT IS CLUB MUSIC, WE DO NOT PLAY CLUB MUSIC" she won thanks to her fans..

and now I am starting to see other artists bring TECHNO beats into there music..

I had no idea in the early 90s and onwards, techno pop was the biggest thing in music..

She sings Electronica not techno. There's a huge difference.
Madonna was the one who brought electronica music to the mainstream. Ever heard of her album Ray of Light or Music?  Or atleast heard of Bjork's Homogenic?

And Madonna's song "Celebration" (the one you posted) is something Madonna has been doing for years.

@Fab GS: Well electronica is a term used to describe a variety of genres and it seems to be geared towards listening, while techno is geared towards dancing. Which makes Madonnas "electronica" albums more techno.
And she did ride with what was popular at the time.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Around the Network
Soriku said:
Bad Romance vid = Nightmares forever.

Nightmares?...how old are you?4?lol.

Jking

Any excuse to watch that "Bad Romance" video! She has an awesome body!

d21lewis said:
Any excuse to watch that "Bad Romance" video! She has an awesome body!

Agreed...youre a smart man lewis

Soriku said:
Bad Romance vid = Nightmares forever.

its innovative, and gives a great message.. Im sure if it was one of your JP pop videos, you would drewl all over it

mM
highwaystar101 said:

I present for all concerned Kraftwerk, these guys were doing what you could call techno-pop over a decade before Lady Gaga was even born.

But I do think Lady Gaga is the rarest of the rare, a genuinely talented pop star. Maybe not Madonna level though.

i really love when a person knows what he/she is talking about.

thank you sir

i personally like Information Society (Kurt Hurland) and Gary Numan and the rest of the 80's

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.