By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Did Lady GaGa open the door for Techno Pop mainstream music?

GamingChartzFTW said:

Quality info with Sound Samples: Ishkur's Guide to Electronic Music (Flash)

WARNING!!! Seriously good link above ^^^

Wow, what a fantastic link. Thank you 

I love his samples and hilarious descriptions such as

"Electro: Motherfucking electro! Kraftwerk invented it in 1971. Hip hop hijacked it in 1981. Everyone forgot it by 1991. And then everyone started releasing "Hey! Remember Kraftwerk?" albums in 2001. Goes to show how much things run full circle. All electronic music everywhere pretty much owe its existance to Kraftwerk. Right next to James Brown and The Beatles, they are the most influential musicians of all time. It also doesn't hurt that robots are so totally wicked fucking awesome."

"New Age. Wow. What can be said about New Age. To start, this likes to cling onto the western post-modern meditative-yoga-pilates-tai chi new age baby boomer pop philosophies trend and not let go (hence the name: New Age). That should give you a hint right there that anyone who thinks The Celestine Prophecy is a good book has the worst taste in music. Unlike Ambient, there is singing here, not all of which are celtic chants, choir crooning or aboriginal jibber-jabber (that's mostly Worldbeat stuff anyway). New Age is floaty, dreamy, and effeminate--even the stuff made by the guys (who have no genitals, by the way). If you have trouble finding it in your local music store, that's because it's in the ADULT CONTEMPORARY section....yeah, beside Celine Dion and Phil Collins, Jesus Christ. The music itself isn't actually all that bad, but the people who listen to it are fucking tools. It's really hard to find a New Age composer these days that you wouldn't wanna rather give a swift kick in the shins."

--
and I just discovered some interesting new artists and re-discovered some old ones I haven't listened to in ages (Afrika Bambaataa, Zapp, Roger, Funkadelic...)

Around the Network
leo-j said:
Soriku said:
Bad Romance vid = Nightmares forever.

its innovative, and gives a great message.. Im sure if it was one of your JP pop videos, you would drewl all over it

Elaborate the bolded, please.

okr said:
GamingChartzFTW said:

I love his samples and hilarious descriptions such as

"Electro: Motherfucking electro! Kraftwerk invented it in 1971. Hip hop hijacked it in 1981. Everyone forgot it by 1991. And then everyone started releasing "Hey! Remember Kraftwerk?" albums in 2001. Goes to show how much things run full circle. All electronic music everywhere pretty much owe its existance to Kraftwerk. Right next to James Brown and The Beatles, they are the most influential musicians of all time. It also doesn't hurt that robots are so totally wicked fucking awesome."

"New Age. Wow. What can be said about New Age. To start, this likes to cling onto the western post-modern meditative-yoga-pilates-tai chi new age baby boomer pop philosophies trend and not let go (hence the name: New Age). That should give you a hint right there that anyone who thinks The Celestine Prophecy is a good book has the worst taste in music. Unlike Ambient, there is singing here, not all of which are celtic chants, choir crooning or aboriginal jibber-jabber (that's mostly Worldbeat stuff anyway). New Age is floaty, dreamy, and effeminate--even the stuff made by the guys (who have no genitals, by the way). If you have trouble finding it in your local music store, that's because it's in the ADULT CONTEMPORARY section....yeah, beside Celine Dion and Phil Collins, Jesus Christ. The music itself isn't actually all that bad, but the people who listen to it are fucking tools. It's really hard to find a New Age composer these days that you wouldn't wanna rather give a swift kick in the shins."

--
and I just discovered some interesting new artists and re-discovered some old ones I haven't listened to in ages (Afrika Bambaataa, Zapp, Roger, Funkadelic...)

Haha yes, great link GamingChartz.  I agree okr his descriptions are great.

"Epic Trance: Epic Trance is the gateway genre into the world of rave for most people, so if you have any form of music to blame for raves hitting the mainstream, this is it. Right here. And that, my friends, really, truly, terribly sucks. There must be a word to describe the pain one feels when witnessing (or hearing, rather) something once pure and brilliant completely sold down the river. Sometime in the mid-90s trance decided to drop the technique of slowly introducing complicated layers and building adequate tension over long stretches, replacing them with cutesy little insta-melodies (Robert Miles may actually be to blame for this). That made it more pop culture accessible. The average attention span, way too ritalin-freaked to pay attention to the slow, brooding trance in its original form, liked the anthemic singalong tone of the NEW McTrance, and that's why all you trance crackers are reading this right now. Not because you grew a taste for this super awesome underground music or you discovered it all by yourself once upon a time. But because trance reformed its sound and delivery to suit YOUR sweet-toothed, top40 pop music consuming tastes. Because the truth is Epic trance is not actually trance, per se. It is powdered, sugar-coated pop schmaltz draped over trance for easy digestion by giggling highschool girls and poser trendy types who would never think to even blink at trance in its raw incarnation"

"Dream Trance: If there is anyone who is responsible for the complete and thorough pussification of Trance, making it offensively lame to the point where not only newbie ravers but also their soccer moms could enjoy it, it's Robert Miles. "Children" has the exclusive accolade as being the #1 rave recruitment song of all time. It's also probably responsible for the embarrassing onslought of banal, melody-driven trance that dominated the last half of the 90s. Hell, I remember Anne Savage playing this fucking song at my very first rave. This isn't trance; this is like that crappy background music on the TV listings channel that tells you what's playing on other channels."

SamuelRSmith said:
leo-j said:
Soriku said:
Bad Romance vid = Nightmares forever.

its innovative, and gives a great message.. Im sure if it was one of your JP pop videos, you would drewl all over it

Elaborate the bolded, please.

leo is a teenager which means that everything that is generic seems innovative and fresh because he hasn't seen the countless similar acts that existed before.

Leo-J probably thinks that the clumsily executed parable of an enslaving Mafia=the music industry as incredibly deep and original.

Crusty VGchartz old timer who sporadically returns & posts. Let's debate nebulous shit and expand our perpectives. Or whatever.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
okr said:
GamingChartzFTW said:

That's definitely a great website, but after reading and listening for a while, I feel like a god damn casual. He really doesn't like the music I am listening to (like Dutch Trance).

I wouldn't take it to heart, he doesn't hide the fact that he is very biased in his opinions ^^

RolStoppable said:
SeriousWB said:
RolStoppable said:
okr said:
GamingChartzFTW said:

That's definitely a great website, but after reading and listening for a while, I feel like a god damn casual. He really doesn't like the music I am listening to (like Dutch Trance).

I wouldn't take it to heart, he doesn't hide the fact that he is very biased in his opinions ^^

I don't, after all I really don't pay much attention to music anymore. The trends in electronic music change rapidly, so there wasn't a whole lot I liked from 2004 onwards. Not that I really looked out for it.

But that guy hates Airwave from Rank 1. Wow.

Tiesto playing it (back in 2008) :D

Rank 1 - Airwave (Rank 1 feat. Dutch Radio Edit)

Yes, Rol, this electronic guide is not Trance friendly and that's why I like it.
Switching sides and supporting Dutch football during the EURO championship summer of '08 was somewhat acceptable, but listening to Dutch Trance? Na sauber! You could as well listen to U-96, Nena/Falco/DJ Ötzi techno remixes or the worst German post-WWII nightmare - Modern Talking. We got enough horrible music in GER/AUT, who needs Dutch trance (feel free to post one of your most favourite Trance songs if you want to convince of its greatness - but please, only one; I'm not sure if I can stand more).

In the meantime I recommend grinding on British electronic music, e.g. from Massive Attack to Basement Jaxx to Plaid to Leftfield to be able to face UK's electronic end boss Aphex Twin:

Windowlicker: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fmo1Sjn7dg
Come to Daddy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Az_7U0-cK0

Okay, Basement Jaxx is not your cup of tea, but do you at least like your country's own mellow electronic DJ champions, Kruder & Dorfmeister?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsW-gBrDqp8

How can you not at least like Bingo Bango?

Crusty VGchartz old timer who sporadically returns & posts. Let's debate nebulous shit and expand our perpectives. Or whatever.