By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I have lost faith in the Wii and its future

Now you know how we PS fanboys are feeling for nearly 2 years now ...

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Around the Network

12 HIT COMBO!!!!!!!!

SW-5120-1900-6153

super_etecoon said:
I really don't believe that this is Rol, everyone.

Yeah, I'm having trouble believing ths is actually Rol too. Or I think Rol is being completely sarcastic. Slow sales in Japan are what brought this on? Even though the Wii is selling better than all other consoles still in Japan. And the Wii sold more last week worldwide than it has for the past 24 weeks at least (thats as far back as I looked before stopping).

Something smells fishy

Tag: Hawk - Reluctant Dark Messiah (provided by fkusumot)

I finally played a Wii last night for the first time.

It was ok, and some of the Wii sports games were fun, but that fun disappeared rather quickly for me. It really does come off as gimmicky after playing that Smooth Moves game as well. Even though there have been times that I have even debated about buying a Wii, I know now that there will be no way I will purchase one. It's great when you have your friends over, but it's just not a game system that I could see myself anxious to leave work and go home and play a game. I can see that with some of my 360 games, and some of my ps3 games (especially those coming out in early 2008).

I think that people are finally seeing that the Wii is a fad and just a gimmick and will lose it's appeal to gamers sooner, rather then later.

Get your Portable ID!

My pokemon brings all the nerds to the yard. And they're like, "You wanna trade cards?" Damn right, I wanna trade cards. I'll trade this, but not my charizard.

This is so pathetic......

It is not because SMG sold below expetations of ever nintendo fanboy that you guys should again bash the PS owners.

Good job rol.

Around the Network

the very second he used "futureproof" i started to doubt he is being really serious....

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

Let's face it folks, the Wii is dead.

Zelda took me only 20 hours to beat with the guide printed out. I was able to finish Metroid in 10 hours with the guide. I heard it is possible to finish SMG in 7-10 hours. Mario Party 8 only took around 1 hour to finish a game of. I heard the new Wii only Zelda that everyone has been waiting for takes less than an hour to complete. I heard Ghost Squad is the same way.

The Wii is currently selling less consoles than it has every sold. The PS3 almost completely closed the gap in Japan last week. 9 out of every 10 games sold in America are 360 games.

In fact, the Wii is broken. I put my favorite DVD in the Wii yesterday and it did not work. Check out your Wii, it is likely also broken.

I've done the research and it looks like Patch discovered the next big thing in gaming. That's right folks! It is the PSP. I am gonna get me one!

currently playing: Desktop Tower Defense (PC), Puzzle Quest (DS), Trauma Center New Blood (Wii), Guitar Hero III (Wii), Ghost Squad (Wii), Actraiser (SNES), Donkey Kong County (SNES), The Legend of Zelda (NES), Kirby's Adventure (NES)

will play next: Paper Mario (N64), Golden Axe II (Sega), NiGHTS (Wii)

Join the Ron Paul RLOVEution, support Ron Paul for president in the 2008 Republican presidential primary! http://www.ronpaul2008.com

RolStoppable said:

With the sluggish sales of the Wii in Japan since about 12 weeks and the recent disappointment of first week sales for Super Mario Galaxy I am starting to doubt the longevity of the system. The Wii might be a fad after all which wouldn't be that surprising considering the sales of previous Nintendo consoles like the Gamecube, which started well at first too. Although the sales of the GC dropped much quicker.

I think the reason why the Wii could maintain its strong sales longer than the Gamecube is because the Wii had Wii Sports. I am worried what will happen to the western market once people get bored of this game, my guess is that the sales of the Wii will take a serious hit. Most of the Wii's success can be attributed to party games which is evidenced by the sales of Wii Play and Mario Party 8. This can't last forever.

I also lost faith in Nintendo as a developer of top notch first party software after the disapointments their combo of big games (Zelda, Metroid, Mario) has been. Zelda had tacked on controls, Metroid was a streamlined 5 hour game (if you want to see a picture for proof, let's exchange Wii numbers) and not the deep experience I was used to from the Gamecube games, Mario seems to be a totally easy game now (thanks to the casual gamers who can't handle hard games) which can be finished in about 7 hours. I feel betrayed by Nintendo and I am sure that I am not alone, many other longtime Nintendo fans probably feel the same way. Easy games suited for casual gamers is not the way this industry should heading to, I want to play my deep singleplayer games like they used to be. Instead of making games for me, Nintendo develops Wii Fit and other crap which aren't even real games.

Because third parties still don't see the Wii as viable platform we will get mostly minigames from them, which make up already the biggest part of the Wii's library. The strong sales of the Wii early on didn't matter as all the major third party franchises I care for are still not in the works for the Wii, only for 360/PS3. That's not what I would call serious support. I can't really blame them, seeing that only Nintendo games seem to sell well on Nintendo systems, the Wii is no exception.

I think once the 360 and PS3 get another price cut, the Wii is finished, because I don't see Nintendo dropping their price as well, they will continue to overcharge for their outdated hardware which as we all know is only two Gamecubes duct taped together.

Now another reason why I could see the Wii failing is the growing adoption rate of HDTVs. Even the PS3 will be able to easily pass the Wii because thanks to the Cell and Bluray it is futureproof and will last for at least ten years. On top of that the 2008 lineup of the 360 (Fable 2, Halo Wars, Banjo 3) and the PS3 (MGS4, GT5, GTA IV) can't be countered by anything the Wii offers.

Generally the Wii sold well until now because it is cheap. The old technique used in the Wii can't last forever and we will most likely see a Wii HD in 2009, just like Pachter said.

Other problems I have with the Wii are: Games for it so far haven't proven that the Wiimote can be used in more than just gimmicky ways. Nintendo doesn't seem to care for online, most games don't support it and in the ones that do, I have to deal with the annoying friend codes. The virtual console seemed to be a great idea at first, but let's be honest, the games are overpriced. I mean €8 for a Megadrive game, seriously?

Thoughts?

You win the ultimate Wii Bingo sticker for filling the whole board with one post. Unfortunately, we cannot give you your sticker until you verify the authenticity of your post by displaying your PS3/360 proof(s) of purchase.

B

I

N

G

O

Nintendo is destroying the industry!

When PS60 get price cut, Wii is through.

Wii Fit!!????

Nintendo is abandoning the hardcore!

When this game comes out, THEN the PS360 will take off!

Nintendo not serious about online.

Wii is just a party machine.

Wii sells because it is cheap.

Pachter says…

Nintendo milks profit due to inferior hardware!

Gamecube started well at first too…

Wii is a fad!

FREE

LOL minigames!!1!

PS3 is on a ten year plan.

Wii is two Gamecube systems put together by duct tape!

Argh!!! Non-games!!!1!!!

Wii-mote is a gimmick.

Stupid casual gamers!

Only Nintendo games sell on Nintendo systems.

When HD adoption rate goes up, Wii is finished.

Who cares about Wii sales? All the real games are on PS60!

Where are the third parties? LOL!

VC is overpriced rom dump!

What happens when people get bored of Wii Sports?

I have lost faith in many third party devs, but not in the Wii itself...

Of course, this is only the first year: the first year of the 360 was not so hot either... and the PS3, well... you know the deal...

But anyway, i'd like to add that in the last four or five weeks, many Wii games out are finally in the 75-95 "green color" on metacritic:

http://www.metacritic.com/games/wii/

Metroid Prime 3, MLB Power Pros, Mercury Meltdown, Sims 2, Zack & Wiki, Naruto, Guitar Hero III, Batallion Wars 2, Fire Emblem, and now of course, Super Mario Galaxy...

If you add to these the next cool releases till christmas: Lego Star Wars, Tomb Raider, Crossbow Training, Umbrella Chronicles, and maybe a couple of nice surprises, that's as many A to AAA games in these two months than in the 1st year of Wii's life...

We all know good games take easily one or two years to be developped, so i think this the official end of Wii's "bad period", and we should see more and more great games comin'... not only the Nintendo's usual supects, i mean...

One masterpiece we may all expect, whatever happens: Okami...

So let's be positive, and guess more masterpieces are comin' our way... exclusive ones and not (great) ports would be best, of course, but once again... this was only the first year... and i still think the Wii's too cool to be true...

But 3rd parties... especially the US ones... bah... no comment... ;)

"A beautiful drawing in 480i will stay beautiful forever...

and an ugly drawing in 1080p will stay ugly forever..."

NJ5 said:
Your post seems like a parody at some points. Is it?

At some points ? It is a parody.

Rol has a clear vision of the Wii and he discussed it in the past months in this site.

Ah I forgot : Malstrom's BINGOOOOOOOOOOO !!!

“In the entertainment business, there are only heaven and hell, and nothing in between and as soon as our customers bore of our products, we will crash.”  Hiroshi Yamauchi

TAG:  Like a Yamauchi pimp slap delivered by Il Maelstrom; serving it up with style.