By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Wired FFXII review, not so good.

lestatdark said:
@Khuutra

Liquid Slimes in DQIV, why do you have to remind me of them? >___< Although the King Metal in DQV is a worse kind of nightmare :D

Damn, I hate those little bastards!  But it is necessary to grind in DQ IV to level up.

BTW, is anyone really that surprised FF XIII is overly cinematic and easy to get through?  What did you expect after X and XII?. 

GETTIN' CHRONOCRUNK

Around the Network

@Opa-Opa

I think that overly cinematic and easy to get through has been a staple of the FF series since FF IV, which is why it has always appealed to a much more broader audience than other JRPG's.

That being said, I think, as far as forumgoers are saying, that this is the hardest Final Fantasy game in a long while, which would be a surprise, at least to me, since most FF games are only hard when it comes to the Super Optional bosses.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

Opa-Opa said:
lestatdark said:
@Khuutra

Liquid Slimes in DQIV, why do you have to remind me of them? >___< Although the King Metal in DQV is a worse kind of nightmare :D

Damn, I hate those little bastards!  But it is necessary to grind in DQ IV to level up.

BTW, is anyone really that surprised FF XIII is overly cinematic and easy to get through?  What did you expect after X and XII?. 

It is really annoying that I have to look for a challenge in Final Fantasy now by hunting monsters. God I wish final fantasy would go back two generations to start over again.

Soriku said:
lestatdark said:
Soriku said:
Khuutra said:
Soriku said:
Khuutra said:
Soriku said:
Khuutra said:

This is a fair point and I want you to know it's a fair point

But some people do like grinding. It's true! Some people find solace in the repetition, the idea that time invested = progression, where anyone can beat a game if they grind for long enough. It's one of the primary appeals of Dragon Quest.

I never had to grind in DQ VIII actually. Well except for this optional boss I didn't beat yet because grinding takes forever in that game.

I think people should wait until the localization until opinions are formed though I think FF XIII wil be more like FF XII or VIII in that it's a really love/hate it game.

Soriku that doesn't really have anything to do with what I said

I know. I'm just saying DQ isn't a series about grind, grind, grind from what I've played so far unless the others are more demanding.

You've played one game, man, and I don' know if it can be taken as indicative in any wya

God knows I spent some time with Liquid Metal Slimes in DQIV...

Huh, I was grinding lots with LMS's in DQ VIII for the optional boss but I got bored since LMS only give you like 10k a pirce and they run away so fast and right now I need 100k+ EXP jsut for the next level and I'm in the 50s, WTF? And I need like 14 levels to learn this one skill. One day I'll be able to beat the boss...one day...

There's a much faster way to grind levels in DQVIII than the LMS on the Howlwind Hill.

Go to the Dragon Graveyard, you'll find tons of King Metal Slimes, which give you 30k Exp a piece. Your best bet to kill them outright from the get go in battles is to use Yangus Executioner skill (Axe level 66) and using Meteorite Bracers on all of your party members.  

Alas, the best actual way to farm exp is to get both a Beezelbub and a King Metal Slime on the same fight, kill the KMS and have Beezelbub cast Kerplunk on the dead KMS, it will revive it and will count as a new KMS for you to kill. With that strategy I got 240K exp in a single fight.

I guess that the skill you're gunning for is Dragon Soul right? That's learnt at level 65, not 64 :P 

That's my problem right there. He doesn't have enough skill points for that yet. I trained him to be a mainly scythe user. Similarly the hero has a skill that's the same as Executioner for spear but he also doesn't have enough points as I trained him as a sword user. Right now I'm only gaining like...1-2 skill points per level and at this rate I'll get Dragon Soul faster unless skill points end up ramping up for whatever reason.

How much skill do you have in the Axe with Yangus? At level 19 he learns Hatchet Man, while is a poor-man's version of Executioner, works just as swell for the KMS. Also, for the Hero, you've been primarly using the Metal Slash right? Well, you can train his Spear level to 12 quickly and learn Thunder Thrust, which works the same as Hatchet Man

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

Soriku said:
lestatdark said:
Soriku said:
lestatdark said:
Soriku said:
Khuutra said:
Soriku said:
Khuutra said:
Soriku said:
Khuutra said:

This is a fair point and I want you to know it's a fair point

But some people do like grinding. It's true! Some people find solace in the repetition, the idea that time invested = progression, where anyone can beat a game if they grind for long enough. It's one of the primary appeals of Dragon Quest.

I never had to grind in DQ VIII actually. Well except for this optional boss I didn't beat yet because grinding takes forever in that game.

I think people should wait until the localization until opinions are formed though I think FF XIII wil be more like FF XII or VIII in that it's a really love/hate it game.

Soriku that doesn't really have anything to do with what I said

I know. I'm just saying DQ isn't a series about grind, grind, grind from what I've played so far unless the others are more demanding.

You've played one game, man, and I don' know if it can be taken as indicative in any wya

God knows I spent some time with Liquid Metal Slimes in DQIV...

Huh, I was grinding lots with LMS's in DQ VIII for the optional boss but I got bored since LMS only give you like 10k a pirce and they run away so fast and right now I need 100k+ EXP jsut for the next level and I'm in the 50s, WTF? And I need like 14 levels to learn this one skill. One day I'll be able to beat the boss...one day...

There's a much faster way to grind levels in DQVIII than the LMS on the Howlwind Hill.

Go to the Dragon Graveyard, you'll find tons of King Metal Slimes, which give you 30k Exp a piece. Your best bet to kill them outright from the get go in battles is to use Yangus Executioner skill (Axe level 66) and using Meteorite Bracers on all of your party members.  

Alas, the best actual way to farm exp is to get both a Beezelbub and a King Metal Slime on the same fight, kill the KMS and have Beezelbub cast Kerplunk on the dead KMS, it will revive it and will count as a new KMS for you to kill. With that strategy I got 240K exp in a single fight.

I guess that the skill you're gunning for is Dragon Soul right? That's learnt at level 65, not 64 :P 

That's my problem right there. He doesn't have enough skill points for that yet. I trained him to be a mainly scythe user. Similarly the hero has a skill that's the same as Executioner for spear but he also doesn't have enough points as I trained him as a sword user. Right now I'm only gaining like...1-2 skill points per level and at this rate I'll get Dragon Soul faster unless skill points end up ramping up for whatever reason.

How much skill do you have in the Axe with Yangus? At level 19 he learns Hatchet Man, while is a poor-man's version of Executioner, works just as swell for the KMS. Also, for the Hero, you've been primarly using the Metal Slash right? Well, you can train his Spear level to 12 quickly and learn Thunder Thrust, which works the same as Hatchet Man

I have both Hatchet Man and Thudner Thrust but a 25% success rate isn't that great. Plus I did try that trick at the Graveyard but I didn't see any KMS witht the Beezelbub monsters so I just went back to the desert and grinded for LMSs at the top of this one cliff.

It's a rare occurance for a KMS to appear with a Beelzebub, a single KMS is far more normal, you just need the patience for it :P 

25% rate of success isn't much, but at least it helped me a lot when I was grinding to level 65 (I stopped when I reached level 70 though, you get too much overpowered)

Current PC Build

Around the Network

Now that I look at it.

FF games are sort of like the band Tool. Not in every way, but in a lot of ways.

They all have a similar core in how the games/music are/is played (one way or the other). But sometimes you have to play/listen to the game/music a few times before you break into it and realize how much you like it over time.

Plus a lot of their games/tracks are different from each other in terms of almost everything: design, sounds, time signature, etc.

That's not to say that there aren't people who would instantly listen/play a Tool/FF song/game and get hooked, but some people just take time until they finally break in.

This will only take a moment of your time. *steals your watch*

Oh dear. Exactly what me and my friends were scared of.

I hate grinding.

I haven't played FF yet (not until tomorrow) but in KH, I defeated Sephiroth 23 times to level up.

That was long and boring. I can't see the appeal of repetition.

If FF7, 8, 9, or 10 makes me grind for hours, I will hurt someone.

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

I don't like the sound of those first 17 hours. All you can do is move forward and you can beat battles by pressing X? Rental.

dtewi said:
I hate grinding.

I haven't played FF yet (not until tomorrow) but in KH, I defeated Sephiroth 23 times to level up.

That was long and boring. I can't see the appeal of repetition.

If FF7, 8, 9, or 10 makes me grind for hours, I will hurt someone.

Multi-barred boss fights are almost never the most efficient ways to level up, even when they do provide experience

Why would you level up with Sephiroth of all fights