By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Wired FFXII review, not so good.

@Naum

I think we shouldn't trust any reviewer until we get the game for ourselves. Quite frankly I don't even trust reviewers after I played the games xD

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

Around the Network
lestatdark said:
@vanatos

Notice how other another member of this site already pointed out how insulting your post was? You may continue to use this line of reasoning, as for me I really don't care if you call me a fanboy or not, but as the rule state, that's an offense in this site, so probably you'll get in trouble if a mod sees this thread, but be that as you may ;)

He didn't call you a fanboy directly, though the hint was pretty much obvious =)

Anyways vanatos made a lot of solid points criticizing FF, clearly he knows what he is talking about, I found him quite well-informed about the series. Kudos, someone should have said this already.

vanatos said:

from your last post it seems you think i believe FF is crap and FFXII sucks, as a general thing 'So saying that FFXIII sucks is bashing, but yet saying that FF is crap isn't? Ah, isn't that a bit of a double-standart argument?' however ive made it quite clear FF6 is my favourite FF even though i think its gameplay is bad, and in general i think gameplay in FF isn't good purely because of its random-encounter-repetitive-nonengaging-kill-normal-enemies-easily-with-just-attack-command'.

I apologise too if i was too aggressive.

I dont really believe you enjoy grinding in games, nor do i believe anyone, in general, enjoys grinding, you stated numerous times as some kind of counter-argument that jrpg's are all like that, it seems to me this is a type of argument that is telling someone 'you just gotta accept it' and it seems you would say this if your 'resigned' to it rather then enjoying it.

I believe that many JRPG's that are turn-based, fail in their design in that it becomes boring and repetitive because normal enemies, consisting of the very large majority of encounters (therefore gameplay) you just press x to kill them, their too easy (as in choose attack and thats it).

A turn-based game should be tactical, in the vein of shin megami tensei nocturne, where you really gotta pay attention to every encounter and one false move and your party dies kind of approach, and it should feel like you gotta use different stuff just to win for every encounter.

I mean it seems to me thats why we get so many different kinds of attack, physical, and the whole plethora of magical attacks.

That being said, i generally like the character design, and the cinematics seem pretty good, that alone might make me enjoy the game overall.

This is a fair point and I want you to know it's a fair point

But some people do like grinding. It's true! Some people find solace in the repetition, the idea that time invested = progression, where anyone can beat a game if they grind for long enough. It's one of the primary appeals of Dragon Quest.

vanatos said:
lestatdark said:
@vanatos

By all means, please do, as i'm rather enjoying this argument ;).

When did I also said that in order to agree that a game is good you must accept that every aspect of it is good? I don't even do that for my favourite game, Lufia 2, why should I do that for any FF game? xD

Look, i'm sorry if I took your words out of context, yet you didn't use the proper context for it, and it wasn't me the only who noticed it, I don't care if you think that only you and yourself are right, but at least have the dignity to understand that you weren't right as well ;)

Oh, and were did I ever said that you shouldn't criticize FFXIII or you were doing something wrong if you critiziced FFXIII? Do you even read what I post? :P

I might have been a bit abrasiven my first post on this thread, but it's because i'm a bit tired about people (in this forum and those who haven't played the game yet, I made that perfectly clear, don't even try to dismiss that) complaining about a game which they haven't even tried out yet, but I never targeted anyone saying that they were wrong and I never insulted anyone, you may want to stop that line of reasoning right there ;)

I see that you're trying to do reverse physicology here and try to pin this out on me, and I give you points for effort, but that doesn't work with me :)

from your last post it seems you think i believe FF is crap and FFXII sucks, as a general thing 'So saying that FFXIII sucks is bashing, but yet saying that FF is crap isn't? Ah, isn't that a bit of a double-standart argument?' however ive made it quite clear FF6 is my favourite FF even though i think its gameplay is bad, and in general i think gameplay in FF isn't good purely because of its random-encounter-repetitive-nonengaging-kill-normal-enemies-easily-with-just-attack-command'.

I dont really believe you enjoy grinding in games, nor do i believe anyone, in general, enjoys grinding, you stated numerous times as some kind of counter-argument that jrpg's are all like that, it seems to me this is a type of argument that is telling someone 'you just gotta accept it' and it seems you would say this if your 'resigned' to it rather then enjoying it.

I believe that many JRPG's that are turn-based, fail in their design in that it becomes boring and repetitive because normal enemies, consisting of the very large majority of encounters (therefore gameplay) you just press x to kill them, their too easy (as in choose attack and thats it).

A turn-based game should be tactical, in the vein of shin megami tensei nocturne, where you really gotta pay attention to every encounter and one false move and your party dies kind of approach, and it should feel like you gotta use different stuff just to win for every encounter.

I mean it seems to me thats why we get so many different kinds of attack, physical, and the whole plethora of magical attacks.

That being said, i generally like the character design, and the cinematics seem pretty good, that alone might make me enjoy the game overall.

I do enjoy grinding in games, it's what I find appeal in RPG's, the kind of appeal that most other genres don't have to me. I respect that people may not like it, as you may not, but to me it's one of the plus sides to the RPG genre in general ;)

I agree with your assessment that Turn-based games should be more tactical, that's why I enjoy the SMT series way more than FF, it gives you a sense of accomplishment and through thinking in each battle, that no FF game has ever achieved.

I'm sorry about missing your FF6 comment, and being a bit harsh on my comments as well ;)

I agree with mai in the aspect that you are well informed about the series itself, as clearly only a person who knows about FF can argue like that, we just have different points of view about what we enjoy about the series itself. I respect yours then ;)

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

Khuutra said:
vanatos said:

This is a fair point and I want you to know it's a fair point

But some people do like grinding. It's true! Some people find solace in the repetition, the idea that time invested = progression, where anyone can beat a game if they grind for long enough. It's one of the primary appeals of Dragon Quest.

I think your right that people like the concept of progression through effort (which would necessitate grinding), i think though that people do not enjoy the act of grinding so much as the payoff of grinding.

This does bring an interesting angle, i mean if they could make normal encounters more varied and a bit more exciting, even the grinding aspect might be considered fun.

Around the Network

If nobody enjoys grinding why do we buy games like Disgaea? That game is one gigantic grinding session.

What is even more incredible is that my girlfriend of all people, one who hasn't liked any games other than FFIX absolutely loves Disgaea since she first played it last year. The battle system and the grinding is her favorite thing about it.

Item World AKA Grind Grind and Grind some more is her favorite. Imagine that huh?

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

lestatdark said:
vanatos said:
lestatdark said:
@vanatos

By all means, please do, as i'm rather enjoying this argument ;).

When did I also said that in order to agree that a game is good you must accept that every aspect of it is good? I don't even do that for my favourite game, Lufia 2, why should I do that for any FF game? xD

Look, i'm sorry if I took your words out of context, yet you didn't use the proper context for it, and it wasn't me the only who noticed it, I don't care if you think that only you and yourself are right, but at least have the dignity to understand that you weren't right as well ;)

Oh, and were did I ever said that you shouldn't criticize FFXIII or you were doing something wrong if you critiziced FFXIII? Do you even read what I post? :P

I might have been a bit abrasiven my first post on this thread, but it's because i'm a bit tired about people (in this forum and those who haven't played the game yet, I made that perfectly clear, don't even try to dismiss that) complaining about a game which they haven't even tried out yet, but I never targeted anyone saying that they were wrong and I never insulted anyone, you may want to stop that line of reasoning right there ;)

I see that you're trying to do reverse physicology here and try to pin this out on me, and I give you points for effort, but that doesn't work with me :)

I do enjoy grinding in games, it's what I find appeal in RPG's, the kind of appeal that most other genres don't have to me. I respect that people may not like it, as you may not, but to me it's one of the plus sides to the RPG genre in general ;)

I agree with your assessment that Turn-based games should be more tactical, that's why I enjoy the SMT series way more than FF, it gives you a sense of accomplishment and through thinking in each battle, that no FF game has ever achieved.

I'm sorry about missing your FF6 comment, and being a bit harsh on my comments as well ;)

I agree with mai in the aspect that you are well informed about the series itself, as clearly only a person who knows about FF can argue like that, we just have different points of view about what we enjoy about the series itself. I respect yours then ;)

I agree with you.

im glad we can come to an agreement, even given our bad start.

Do you like grinding itself? or the payoff of it? or both?

As long as the battle system is truly enjoyable I don't think many would mind a lot of grinding, but if the battle system is absolutely horrid people will hate it.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

jneul said:
Damm all these reviews are putting me off this game now. I will still try it, from rental, canceling my pre-order, that way if I like it I will buy it after renting lol.

before you do so just knw this, on vgchartz and neogaf and ffxiii.net out of th ppl who imported the game many many more like it and praise it than those who dont,same with famitsu, media create. its a bit short-sightd to cancel a pre-order due to a few negative reviews that are in the minority

infact the game in ur avatar ff8 was hated by many many ppl, its seen as the black sheep of ff franchise, but u still liked it dint you (im assming as u have its avatar u liked ff8)

Euphoria14 said:

If nobody enjoys grinding why do we buy games like Disgaea? That game is one gigantic grinding session.

What is even more incredible is that my girlfriend of all people, one who hasn't liked any games other than FFIX absolutely loves Disgaea since she first played it last year. The battle system and the grinding is her favorite thing about it.

Item World AKA Grind Grind and Grind some more is her favorite. Imagine that huh?

Well i bought it for its humour, and i uhh hated the grinding to get the necessary levels to beat bhaal and the trials place.

In fact i gamesharked myself to lvl8000 after doing that trials map for like 3 weeks.

Item world was torturous, but it was easy if you had hyperdrives.

Etna sold me though, when they said she was in Disgaea 2, i bought it for that reason alone.