By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Wired FFXII review, not so good.

vanatos said:
Euphoria14 said:

If nobody enjoys grinding why do we buy games like Disgaea? That game is one gigantic grinding session.

What is even more incredible is that my girlfriend of all people, one who hasn't liked any games other than FFIX absolutely loves Disgaea since she first played it last year. The battle system and the grinding is her favorite thing about it.

Item World AKA Grind Grind and Grind some more is her favorite. Imagine that huh?

Well i bought it for its humour, and i uhh hated the grinding to get the necessary levels to beat bhaal and the trials place.

In fact i gamesharked myself to lvl8000 after doing that trials map for like 3 weeks.

I will admit that the humor in the Disgaea series puts it way ahread of many other titles in my gaming collection.

The reason my girlfriend even gave it a chance at first was because I had her watch an episode of Disgaea on Youtube and she loved Flonne. Now she played 1, 2 and 3 all within a couple of months after first playing it on the PS2. It has become her favorite gaming franchise all time.

Now we just hope for Disgaea 4 and she wants it on the PS3.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network
Euphoria14 said:
vanatos said:
Euphoria14 said:

If nobody enjoys grinding why do we buy games like Disgaea? That game is one gigantic grinding session.

What is even more incredible is that my girlfriend of all people, one who hasn't liked any games other than FFIX absolutely loves Disgaea since she first played it last year. The battle system and the grinding is her favorite thing about it.

Item World AKA Grind Grind and Grind some more is her favorite. Imagine that huh?

Well i bought it for its humour, and i uhh hated the grinding to get the necessary levels to beat bhaal and the trials place.

In fact i gamesharked myself to lvl8000 after doing that trials map for like 3 weeks.

I will admit that the humor in the Disgaea series puts it way ahread of many other titles in my gaming collection.

The reason my girlfriend even gave it a chance at first was because I had her watch an episode of Disgaea on Youtube and she loved Flonne. Now she played 1, 2 and 3 all within a couple of months after first playing it on the PS2. It has become her favorite gaming franchise all time.

Wow i hated flonne lol, is disgaea 3 good? i actually bought it but havent started it really, i began to play it, but it hasnt drawn me in like 1 and 2.

vanatos said:
Euphoria14 said:

Wow i hated flonne lol, is disgaea 3 good? i actually bought it but havent started it really, i began to play it, but it hasnt drawn me in like 1 and 2.

I just asked the all knowing AKA my girlfriend and she said as much as she loved Disgaea 2 (mainly due to Roselyn) she would rate Disgaea 3 above it.

Of course she still thinks the first is the best.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Euphoria14 said:
vanatos said:
Euphoria14 said:

I just asked the all knowing AKA my girlfriend and she said as much as she loved Disgaea 2 (mainly due to Roselyn) she would rate Disgaea 3 above it.

Of course she still thinks the first is the best.

hrmm it seems your gf likes characters i generally dont really like at all.

So..i guess Disgaea 3 would suck to me more.

Though i agree with her Disgaea 1 was the best.

Soriku said:
Khuutra said:

This is a fair point and I want you to know it's a fair point

But some people do like grinding. It's true! Some people find solace in the repetition, the idea that time invested = progression, where anyone can beat a game if they grind for long enough. It's one of the primary appeals of Dragon Quest.

I never had to grind in DQ VIII actually. Well except for this optional boss I didn't beat yet because grinding takes forever in that game.

I think people should wait until the localization until opinions are formed though I think FF XIII wil be more like FF XII or VIII in that it's a really love/hate it game.

Soriku that doesn't really have anything to do with what I said

Around the Network
Soriku said:
Khuutra said:
Soriku said:
Khuutra said:

But some people do like grinding. It's true! Some people find solace in the repetition, the idea that time invested = progression, where anyone can beat a game if they grind for long enough. It's one of the primary appeals of Dragon Quest.

I never had to grind in DQ VIII actually. Well except for this optional boss I didn't beat yet because grinding takes forever in that game.

I think people should wait until the localization until opinions are formed though I think FF XIII wil be more like FF XII or VIII in that it's a really love/hate it game.

I know. I'm just saying DQ isn't a series about grind, grind, grind from what I've played so far unless the others are more demanding.

You've played one game, man, and I don' know if it can be taken as indicative in any wya

God knows I spent some time with Liquid Metal Slimes in DQIV...

vanatos said:
lestatdark said:
vanatos said:
lestatdark said:
@vanatos

By all means, please do, as i'm rather enjoying this argument ;).

When did I also said that in order to agree that a game is good you must accept that every aspect of it is good? I don't even do that for my favourite game, Lufia 2, why should I do that for any FF game? xD

Look, i'm sorry if I took your words out of context, yet you didn't use the proper context for it, and it wasn't me the only who noticed it, I don't care if you think that only you and yourself are right, but at least have the dignity to understand that you weren't right as well ;)

Oh, and were did I ever said that you shouldn't criticize FFXIII or you were doing something wrong if you critiziced FFXIII? Do you even read what I post? :P

I might have been a bit abrasiven my first post on this thread, but it's because i'm a bit tired about people (in this forum and those who haven't played the game yet, I made that perfectly clear, don't even try to dismiss that) complaining about a game which they haven't even tried out yet, but I never targeted anyone saying that they were wrong and I never insulted anyone, you may want to stop that line of reasoning right there ;)

I see that you're trying to do reverse physicology here and try to pin this out on me, and I give you points for effort, but that doesn't work with me :)

from your last post it seems you think i believe FF is crap and FFXII sucks, as a general thing 'So saying that FFXIII sucks is bashing, but yet saying that FF is crap isn't? Ah, isn't that a bit of a double-standart argument?' however ive made it quite clear FF6 is my favourite FF even though i think its gameplay is bad, and in general i think gameplay in FF isn't good purely because of its random-encounter-repetitive-nonengaging-kill-normal-enemies-easily-with-just-attack-command'.

I apologise too if i was too aggressive.

I dont really believe you enjoy grinding in games, nor do i believe anyone, in general, enjoys grinding, you stated numerous times as some kind of counter-argument that jrpg's are all like that, it seems to me this is a type of argument that is telling someone 'you just gotta accept it' and it seems you would say this if your 'resigned' to it rather then enjoying it.

I believe that many JRPG's that are turn-based, fail in their design in that it becomes boring and repetitive because normal enemies, consisting of the very large majority of encounters (therefore gameplay) you just press x to kill them, their too easy (as in choose attack and thats it).

A turn-based game should be tactical, in the vein of shin megami tensei nocturne, where you really gotta pay attention to every encounter and one false move and your party dies kind of approach, and it should feel like you gotta use different stuff just to win for every encounter.

I mean it seems to me thats why we get so many different kinds of attack, physical, and the whole plethora of magical attacks.

That being said, i generally like the character design, and the cinematics seem pretty good, that alone might make me enjoy the game overall.

I do enjoy grinding in games, it's what I find appeal in RPG's, the kind of appeal that most other genres don't have to me. I respect that people may not like it, as you may not, but to me it's one of the plus sides to the RPG genre in general ;)

I agree with your assessment that Turn-based games should be more tactical, that's why I enjoy the SMT series way more than FF, it gives you a sense of accomplishment and through thinking in each battle, that no FF game has ever achieved.

I'm sorry about missing your FF6 comment, and being a bit harsh on my comments as well ;)

I agree with mai in the aspect that you are well informed about the series itself, as clearly only a person who knows about FF can argue like that, we just have different points of view about what we enjoy about the series itself. I respect yours then ;)

I agree with you.

im glad we can come to an agreement, even given our bad start.

Do you like grinding itself? or the payoff of it? or both?

I'm glad as well, you have quite some argumentation skills, I appreciate that in people ;)

About the grinding per se, I clearly enjoy more the payoff in the end that the whole process itself, it's great to see that hours of my work were put to good use, but the process can also be enjoyable, as in most games, I tend to learn more things about the enemies when I'm constantly battling them.

In Diablo 2, which was the epitome of grinding games to me, I learned all about how to link up the best possible skills and item combinations via the intense grinding sessions on Hell Act V runs, which then led me to create even better characters the next time I started the game.

The most recent game that I can consider that grinding has helped me develop the skills necessary to survive and improve on the game itself was Demon's Souls. The large dozens of hours that I put on my first time around on that game led me to be able to start the game anew after losing my previous character, and do half of it without dying one single time so far, which I consider to be a personal achievement xD 

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

@Khuutra

Liquid Slimes in DQIV, why do you have to remind me of them? >___

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

I promised myself to stay away from any positive or negative FFXIII threads, but I couldn't help this. The fact ALL your strategy and tactics is boiled down to basically choosing between 6 different options is kind of hilarious, and it's more hilarious watching people defend it. Basicaally what I'm getting from people is that you might as well play this:

With your friends while you are watching:

It might float some people's boat, but to me it's just another cinematic game, and I count those automaticaally under the shittiest real games.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

Soriku said:
Khuutra said:
Soriku said:
Khuutra said:
Soriku said:
Khuutra said:

I know. I'm just saying DQ isn't a series about grind, grind, grind from what I've played so far unless the others are more demanding.

You've played one game, man, and I don' know if it can be taken as indicative in any wya

God knows I spent some time with Liquid Metal Slimes in DQIV...

Huh, I was grinding lots with LMS's in DQ VIII for the optional boss but I got bored since LMS only give you like 10k a pirce and they run away so fast and right now I need 100k+ EXP jsut for the next level and I'm in the 50s, WTF? And I need like 14 levels to learn this one skill. One day I'll be able to beat the boss...one day...

There's a much faster way to grind levels in DQVIII than the LMS on the Howlwind Hill.

Go to the Dragon Graveyard, you'll find tons of King Metal Slimes, which give you 30k Exp a piece. Your best bet to kill them outright from the get go in battles is to use Yangus Executioner skill (Axe level 66) and using Meteorite Bracers on all of your party members.  

Alas, the best actual way to farm exp is to get both a Beezelbub and a King Metal Slime on the same fight, kill the KMS and have Beezelbub cast Kerplunk on the dead KMS, it will revive it and will count as a new KMS for you to kill. With that strategy I got 240K exp in a single fight.

I guess that the skill you're gunning for is Dragon Soul right? That's learnt at level 65, not 64 :P 

Current PC Build