By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Wired FFXII review, not so good.

I am also more excited about Versus since E3.

But I am not giving up on this one yet, though I didn't like the caracters and the plot so far.

Around the Network
--OkeyDokey-- said:
mtlca66 said:
--OkeyDokey-- said:
It's hard to get excited about this dumbed down piece of crap after a masterpiece like FF12.

i actually hated 12, but 12 really looks a lot better if this is what 13 will be like.

I'm playing through 12 now for the first time. Yeah, the story is boring and I have no idea what's going on but the gameplay and overworld is phenomenal. I can't put it down.

Yeah, XII was a disappointment in terms of story. Especially since I replayed FFX right before I played FFXII and I loved the story in FFX. But yeah, the gameplay and the world in FFXII was very fun and addictive because of how fighting was so seamless, it made grinding/questing/hunts all that more enjoyable.

vanatos said:
lestatdark said:
@vanatos

I ask you this then, have you played the game to give a proper judgment of the game? Because from the complaints i've seen so far is mostly from people who haven't played the game.

Plus, if you're going to complain about a FF game, then you need to understand the concept of FF per se. Most complains that each new instalment of FF is that it changes the formula too much, or that it doesn't look as similar as previous FF games.

Those aren't valid complains in a saga such as FF, that only shows how little people really know about the saga itself.

Oh, and you say FF always has had shit gameplay? Guess that shows how much you know about FF, because the gameplay itself has been one of the most appraised critically and by the fans throught the whole saga. To YOU it may feel crappy, but that doesn't make it so ;)

- When people complain about FF being too similar/not similar in some aspects, they are not complaining about this really, what they are complaining is that a newer FF is shittier then an older FF in some fashion

-gameplay in FF critically appraised?! ROFL, so through FF1-FF6, was it a great gameplay experience to go through the 99th random encounter in which you spammed the exact same attack? ditto for FF7, FF8, FF9, FF10 etc etc?

No, random encounters (or normal encounters apart from bosses) amount to 99% of the gameplay, yet these has never been praised, no one goes on forums and says 'shit that dungeon where i slogged through 100 random encounters was great guys'.

Do you know what is praised? all the time? design external from the gameplay and purpose, gameplay has only one overall purpose, excitement, it doesnt matter how intricate, complex gameplay it is, if it in the end isn't exciting, its crap, Final Fantasy can employ the most complex intricate and damn genius design ever, but if it aint exciting, its crap.

Reviewers loved praising the sphere grid in FF10, do i care? does the sphere grid make my 5th dungeon crawl more exciting experience? no, this is a case of praising the design external from gameplay, that is, praising its design instead of its enjoyment.

What about FF6? i loved the attempt at giving each character their own special skill, but what happens? their all virtually identical in effect except for a few (like Locke stealing), in fact the MAGIC skillset which everyone can get, has all the effects of the special skillset and more, so how are they distinct apart from cosmetic appearance? their not, but what reviewer said this? all they did was praise it.

Again, praising the design external to gameplay, i didnt give a shit that Sabin had a 'street fighter' skillset when his move effects were identical to everything else in the magic skillset.

The greatest problem of Final Fantasy has always been that it never achieves the purpose of its gameplay design.

Turn-based style combat is a TACTICAL game, and given were playing a game for hours on end, it must be defined by constant thinking of EVERY encounter on what to do to win, different tactics all the time.

Final Fantasy has always failed to achieve this, 99% of encounters can be won with the exact same spamming attack, 99% of encounters can be won regardless of what choice you make (whether using the ATTACK, FIRE MAGIC, ICE MAGIC, THROW, SUMMON etc).

the 1% which is at least somewhat interesting, are the boss encounters.

This creates repetition, boredom, lack of engagement, and general not-fun.

I don't like to say it, but anyone who argues that gameplay in Final Fantasy was some kind of praise-worthy thing, is obviously a fanboy, it has never been good, because it has never been exciting apart from boss battles, i only make an exception to Final Fantasy 1 and 2 since it was new then.

You seem to hate FF so much yet keep playing them. I wonder which one something is wrong with....you or the games?

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Random counters are a bitch, which I clearly found out in FF6 recently.

"Life is but a gentle death. Fate is but a sickness that results in extinction and in the midst of all the uncertainty, lies resolve."

Soriku said:
dtewi said:
Soriku said:
Khuutra said:

Confession time:

I never beat the Ice Titan. Could not be assed to do it.

That boss is easy.

How much EXP does the last 10 rounds of the best cup tournament (forget what it was called...Hades Cup I think?) There's a crapton of heartless you can fight in the later rounds.

The ENTIRE Hades Cup leveled me up once at higher levels.

Ice Titan is not easy, harder than Kurt Zisa and Phantom. His freaking freeze moves are annoying, and ice dropping on you from every which way. Oh my god, annoying.

lol no, Kurt Zisa and Phantom are way harder.

I found Kurt Zisa to be fairly easy. I didn't even have much strategy, just whacked away at him.

Ice Titan isn't really hard, it just takes awhile since you gotta react to his patterns and hit the icicles back.

Phantom is potentially hard if you don't know what you're doing, but as long as you stock up on the right items and are good with magic and timing, you shouldn't have too much trouble.

The only one I would classify as hard would be Sephiroth. Since he has that attack that drops you to 1hp/1mp, but even then you just stock up on Elixers and/or hit him before he gets it off.

Around the Network
Kamal said:
Random counters are a bitch, which I clearly found out in FF6 recently.

That's why I play FF4/FF5/FF6 on my CPU as a SNES Rom. (Even though I own FF:Chronicles and FF:Anthology) Since you can do turbo speed which makes things go so much faster, which is ideal for grinding out exp and learning magic.

Pristine20 said:
vanatos said:
lestatdark said:
@vanatos

I ask you this then, have you played the game to give a proper judgment of the game? Because from the complaints i've seen so far is mostly from people who haven't played the game.

Plus, if you're going to complain about a FF game, then you need to understand the concept of FF per se. Most complains that each new instalment of FF is that it changes the formula too much, or that it doesn't look as similar as previous FF games.

Those aren't valid complains in a saga such as FF, that only shows how little people really know about the saga itself.

Oh, and you say FF always has had shit gameplay? Guess that shows how much you know about FF, because the gameplay itself has been one of the most appraised critically and by the fans throught the whole saga. To YOU it may feel crappy, but that doesn't make it so ;)

- When people complain about FF being too similar/not similar in some aspects, they are not complaining about this really, what they are complaining is that a newer FF is shittier then an older FF in some fashion

-gameplay in FF critically appraised?! ROFL, so through FF1-FF6, was it a great gameplay experience to go through the 99th random encounter in which you spammed the exact same attack? ditto for FF7, FF8, FF9, FF10 etc etc?

No, random encounters (or normal encounters apart from bosses) amount to 99% of the gameplay, yet these has never been praised, no one goes on forums and says 'shit that dungeon where i slogged through 100 random encounters was great guys'.

Do you know what is praised? all the time? design external from the gameplay and purpose, gameplay has only one overall purpose, excitement, it doesnt matter how intricate, complex gameplay it is, if it in the end isn't exciting, its crap, Final Fantasy can employ the most complex intricate and damn genius design ever, but if it aint exciting, its crap.

Reviewers loved praising the sphere grid in FF10, do i care? does the sphere grid make my 5th dungeon crawl more exciting experience? no, this is a case of praising the design external from gameplay, that is, praising its design instead of its enjoyment.

What about FF6? i loved the attempt at giving each character their own special skill, but what happens? their all virtually identical in effect except for a few (like Locke stealing), in fact the MAGIC skillset which everyone can get, has all the effects of the special skillset and more, so how are they distinct apart from cosmetic appearance? their not, but what reviewer said this? all they did was praise it.

Again, praising the design external to gameplay, i didnt give a shit that Sabin had a 'street fighter' skillset when his move effects were identical to everything else in the magic skillset.

The greatest problem of Final Fantasy has always been that it never achieves the purpose of its gameplay design.

Turn-based style combat is a TACTICAL game, and given were playing a game for hours on end, it must be defined by constant thinking of EVERY encounter on what to do to win, different tactics all the time.

Final Fantasy has always failed to achieve this, 99% of encounters can be won with the exact same spamming attack, 99% of encounters can be won regardless of what choice you make (whether using the ATTACK, FIRE MAGIC, ICE MAGIC, THROW, SUMMON etc).

the 1% which is at least somewhat interesting, are the boss encounters.

This creates repetition, boredom, lack of engagement, and general not-fun.

I don't like to say it, but anyone who argues that gameplay in Final Fantasy was some kind of praise-worthy thing, is obviously a fanboy, it has never been good, because it has never been exciting apart from boss battles, i only make an exception to Final Fantasy 1 and 2 since it was new then.

You seem to hate FF so much yet keep playing them. I wonder which one something is wrong with....you or the games?

FF6 is my favourite FF of all time, and ive played through it at least 10 times, as ive stated in this thread.

Just because someone likes a game doesnt mean they cannot find some things are a bad game design in that game.

So the problem is your interpretation.

Did any of this get mentioned in other threads?

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.php?board=928790&topic=52796021

"Towns exist but feel like extensions of dungeons, with nothing much you can do in them except looking for treasure balls and moving on to the next objective.

Talking to NPCs is done by an "auto-talk" function that makes NPCs say a line when you go near him. NPCs only say generic lines like "Welcome to ...." or "I want to see the chocobos" or "Snow, you're awesome". You feel like you're overhearing others' conversations.

You do get to talk to certain semi-important characters by pressing confirm. Then you get to read the next in a tiny box at the bottom left of the screen, which displays about two and a half lines.

The number of minigames can be counted on approximately two fingers.

There is no backtracking to locations in the first ten chapters in the post-game.

Chapter lengths are about 1-3 hours. They are padded with plenty of cutscenes except for the final dungeon."

(I admit I am just trying to ruin FF fans Christmas)

Satan said:

"You are for ever angry, all you care about is intelligence, but I repeat again that I would give away all this superstellar life, all the ranks and honours, simply to be transformed into the soul of a merchant's wife weighing eighteen stone and set candles at God's shrine."

ItsaMii said:
Did any of this get mentioned in other threads?

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.php?board=928790&topic=52796021

"Towns exist but feel like extensions of dungeons, with nothing much you can do in them except looking for treasure balls and moving on to the next objective.

Talking to NPCs is done by an "auto-talk" function that makes NPCs say a line when you go near him. NPCs only say generic lines like "Welcome to ...." or "I want to see the chocobos" or "Snow, you're awesome". You feel like you're overhearing others' conversations.

You do get to talk to certain semi-important characters by pressing confirm. Then you get to read the next in a tiny box at the bottom left of the screen, which displays about two and a half lines.

The number of minigames can be counted on approximately two fingers.

There is no backtracking to locations in the first ten chapters in the post-game.

Chapter lengths are about 1-3 hours. They are padded with plenty of cutscenes except for the final dungeon."

(I admit I am just trying to ruin FF fans Christmas)

all of that has been mentioned to death, the fact stll remains most ppl like th game, like with most ff's a vocal minority hate th game

Remember that each FF title has its fair share of haters and supporters. Such is the nature of a series that emphasizes change, as human nature does not initially take kindly to change

Scaring people away from this title based on bullet points/live streams/previews/demos/past games/ect is the very defintion of prejudging, presumption, and assumption, and it certainly isn't fair to the developers of the game. Especially when the very nature of the game is the afformentioned nature of change which always creates rifts amongst fans of the series and fans of gaming as a whole.

Your assertions are that, somehow, we should look at the release of this Final Fantasy as something different. We should assume that the game actually will suck for everyone, instead of, like past itterations, recieve mixed, but largely positive reviews from critics and gamers. The truth is, the game has recieved many positive reviews from gamers, and probably more positive than negative which can't be said for VIII, which is now considered a classic despite poor initial user reviews.

You can't tell what a game is going to be from reading bullet points, you never could. Remember when Resistance 2 came out? It had a list of bullet points so long, that many of the bullet point faithful, believed the game would be far better than Gears 2, its competing title.

What you people are doing, is thinking very simplistically. You are taking the negative bullet points presented in this thread, and applying them to past entries of the FF series. Even the article in the OP mentions things that were "taken out of Final Fantasy" when in truth, nothing was taken out of a game that has been completely revamped, and which shares almost no similarity with itself between entries.

You don't know what the end game is like, you don't know the depth of the game, and that point is still unclear for even users who have beaten the game completely, as new things are being discovered as we speak. Again though, if I were to say "this game has no sidequests" again, that would be a bullet point that you would relate to past entries.

A games quality cannot, nor ever shall be completely summerized in a short but sweet list of bullet points, especially when it is a completely original game. The feel of the game, its details, atmosphere, and heart are only felt after a playthrough. Relying on userreviews for a game that is notorious for splitting user opinion, for a game that has just a many 10s as it does 0s, is purposefully ignoring facts that are staring you right in the eye.

The game, like JRPGs, like every FF game thus far released, is going to have fans who love it, and detractors who hate it. If you only listen to one side, and never find out for yourself, then you are cheating yourself.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.