By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - NSMBW sells over 500k units in its third week in Japan (1.9M LTD)

Kenology said:
The fact that the link in the OP doesn't work really bothers me.

http://www.value-press.com/pressrelease.php?article_id=50496

Currently Playing: Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked, Professor Layton and the Curious Village

Anticipating: Xenoblade, The Last Story, Mario Kart 7, Rayman Origins, Zelda SS, Crush3D, Tales of the Abyss 3DS, MGS:Snake Eater 3DS, RE:Revelations, Time Travellers, Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney, Luigi's Mansion 2, MH TriG, DQ Monsters, Heroes of Ruin

Around the Network

Link fixed.

Thanks, guys. :)

WOW!!! i was thinking 2.5 million by the end of the year, it looks like 3 million is more like it! Truly monstrous

Kasz216 said:
Raze said:
It increased from 2nd week? That's pretty unusual. I wonder how well NSMB is pushing HW this week

I mean, I know Christmas isn't huge in japan... but isn't there some Japanese holiday around now that's huge?

Another funny possibility.  Maybe FF13 boosted it's sales, and people bought both games while they were out.

Actually Christmas is pretty big in Japan, not as big as in the western world, but still pretty big.  Although their culture handles it a little differently. 

In western culture Christmas is spent with family.  In Japan it is spent with a significant other if you have one.  It is kind of part Christmas, part Valentines day.

They also give gifts on Christmas, although not to the same extent as we do in the western world.

Around the Network

OMG, I can't believe I was thinking FF13 will cut this game's sales, and FF13 never outsold New Super Mario Bros Wii Lifetime in Japan

Woah. I wonder if it'll actually increase sales next week too?

I'm also really curious to see if it's helping lift other Wii games? Specifically Musou 3, Taiko 2, Graces, PokePark and Momotaru? Also curious to get a ltd update on MH3, it's been selling a good 2-4 weekly off the charts for awhile now...

JHawkNH said:
Kasz216 said:
Raze said:
It increased from 2nd week? That's pretty unusual. I wonder how well NSMB is pushing HW this week

I mean, I know Christmas isn't huge in japan... but isn't there some Japanese holiday around now that's huge?

Another funny possibility.  Maybe FF13 boosted it's sales, and people bought both games while they were out.

Actually Christmas is pretty big in Japan, not as big as in the western world, but still pretty big.  Although their culture handles it a little differently. 

In western culture Christmas is spent with family.  In Japan it is spent with a significant other if you have one.  It is kind of part Christmas, part Valentines day.

They also give gifts on Christmas, although not to the same extent as we do in the western world.

Well actually New Year's is the really big holiday in Japan. Christmas isn't really that big...

The game might increase(or stay roughly the same) in the numbers for the following week as well since leading up to New Year's time is the holiday season.

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

I would like to take this time to have a haughty laugh at all the people that said NSMB Wii wouldn't sell this well because the DS "sold" NSMB and that this would be the equivalent of Animal Crossing: City Folk.

aHAhahahahahahaha!!! Silly kids, it is not the platform that sells Mario, it's MARIO that sells the platform!

Not that I would expect many of them to show their faces after being so balatantly wrong - as usual...

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

I guess we know which game rules this holiday season in Japan.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.