By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - NSMBW sells over 500k units in its third week in Japan (1.9M LTD)

http://vgchartz.com/swlaunch.php?reg1=Japan&game1=Mario+Kart+Wii+-+Wii[6968]&reg2=Japan&game2=Super+Smash+Bros.+Brawl+-+Wii[6962]&reg3=Japan&game3=New+Super+Mario+Bros.+Wii+-+Wii[35076]&weeks=10&weekly=1

NSMBWii is charting higher than both Kart/Brawl, seems to start with bigger legs, too, increased on the 3rd week.

Around the Network
ioi said:
It's not about 2D games as such, just that 3D Mario has never taken off in Japan like the 2D games did. This is why the argument that NSMB Wii would just sell to existing Galaxy / Mario Kart owners in Japan was pretty flawed.

I think this is true for most of Nintendo's franchises: 2D and 3D iterations don't appeal to the same people (I think) unless you take something relatively small like Metroid.

I'm not even sure why Zelda was brought up though, since Zelda has never been huge in Japan.

But how about that New SUper Mario Bros. Wii? Is that shit not terrifying? Could this be the new Mario Kart (worldwide, not just in Japan)?

ioi said:
New Super Mario Bros Wii is on track to be the second fastest-selling console game of all time worldwide in the first 10 weeks behind San Andreas so yes - it is pretty huge.

Single SKU or no?

Khuutra said:
ioi said:
It's not about 2D games as such, just that 3D Mario has never taken off in Japan like the 2D games did. This is why the argument that NSMB Wii would just sell to existing Galaxy / Mario Kart owners in Japan was pretty flawed.

I think this is true for most of Nintendo's franchises: 2D and 3D iterations don't appeal to the same people (I think) unless you take something relatively small like Metroid.

I'm not even sure why Zelda was brought up though, since Zelda has never been huge in Japan.

But how about that New SUper Mario Bros. Wii? Is that shit not terrifying? Could this be the new Mario Kart (worldwide, not just in Japan)?

Makes sense to me.

I'll admit that i love the 2D Mario and Zelda games way more then their 3D versions... though I do resepect their 3D versions for basically being the best early examples of their medium and because of that basically be a tempalte for future games.

Not to say the 3D games are bad or anyting... i'd just rather have 2D versions.

Galaki said:
http://vgchartz.com/swlaunch.php?reg1=Japan&game1=Mario+Kart+Wii+-+Wii[6968]&reg2=Japan&game2=Super+Smash+Bros.+Brawl+-+Wii[6962]&reg3=Japan&game3=New+Super+Mario+Bros.+Wii+-+Wii[35076]&weeks=10&weekly=1

NSMBWii is charting higher than both Kart/Brawl, seems to start with bigger legs, too, increased on the 3rd week.

Well according to the numbers in the OP, NSMB Wii has already passed Brawl after 3 weeks! MK Wii has about a 470k lead, but will disappear very soon if these kinds of numbers continue.

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

Around the Network
Khuutra said:
ChichiriMuyo said:
--OkeyDokey-- said:
ChichiriMuyo said:
I think the comparison to other Wii games in Japan is nice. It's helpful to know that it's already ahead of Brawl and could pass MKWii by next week. This is the Japanese saying "we loved older Nintendo franchises just the way they were... in 2D." Hopefully Nintendo will get the picture and give us a 2D overhead Zelda.

Um, Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks? O_o

On consoles, and hopefully not with the still ugly celshaded style graphics.  Nor trains or boats.  I want a game like the original or the ones on SNES and GB.  For my taste in games, Zelda took a major dive with OoT and has only gone down since (for the most part).  Even the handheld releases are getting worse.

Japan has never been close to the biggest consumer of Zelda games, and catering specifically to them at this point would be counter-productive.

Not that I'm objecting to the idea of 2-D Zeldas (though I don't get your disdain for the Wind Waker style), but Japan would not be the reason for the changes in the season.

Of course Japan wouldn't be the sole reason.  NSMB Wii sells well worldwide, and a 2D Zelda would too.  But in Japan at the very least it seems that the old style of gameplay is seeing a very welcome return.  Since the console sales of the Zelda series have seen a gradual decline in Japan since OoT, it may be time to investigate a proper, main-series LoZ with overhead perspective on the consoles.

You do not have the right to never be offended.

And yet still, the epic battle rages on...

I was hoping XIII will take Dec in Japan,but looks like I underestimated this game

Attention all people who claimed that NSMB:Wii is a spinoff of SMG, and that it wouldn't sell all that well. You are wrong.

Also, I was always confused as to why people thought that FFXIII release would kill of sales of NSMB. Unless 1 game is a sequel to the other, or at least very similar (same genre would help :P) then its release will not kill of the other game's sales. Good to see it selling well.

scottie said:
why people thought that FFXIII release would kill of sales of NSMB.

When you're immerse with 1 game, you tend to not notice any other games until it's all done.

The hype behind FF13 is huge.