By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why did Square Enix stick with Sony?

I don't understand Square Enix from a business standpoint.  I understand they made timed exclusives for the Xbox 360 because Microsoft gave them money to help fund most of the game and release them it on their system first but why did Square Enix stick with Sony for their biggest franchise?

They had to probably waste who knows how long just figuring out the new system and making new tools for it when they could have easily been up to speed immediately on the Wii.  They spent money like it was water when they could have had half the people working on it and finished it in half the time for the Wii.  The main Final Fantasy games practically sell themselves so Square Enix could have made more profit with the Wii. 

So why from a business standpoint would they stick with Sony?  It can't possibly be because they wanted to push hardware boundaries because the last main game was on the weakest console of last generation.  Also the last Dragon Quest game was on DS so it shows they seem to be more than willing to put their big games on less powerful systems.  It's also not a shooter game so it's not like the Wii would be at a disadvantage when it comes to sales.

So why did they do it?  Does Square Enix hate money or is money second to them compared to loyalty?  Who are we kidding, they dumped Nintendo without a second though before.  Any ideas anyone?  Why didnt the console that is kicking the Playstation 3 in hardware and software sales get the game it should have rightfully gotten?

Around the Network

Because Sony still owns 20% of them.

I know, man. They have released so many PS3 games, it's like "WTF?"

@ badgenome, yeah, we have just been bombarded with them. I am looking at my PS3 collection and I can see literally 1 SE game, isn't that amazing (and that is Batman which is only SE because they bought Eidos, and it even still bears the Eidos brand)

It's not easy to understand what you really mean from that post.

Your post makes me think you're talking about FF... they only stuck with Sony in Japan, not very surprising given the crappy 360 sales there.

If you're asking why it's multi-platform and not 360 exclusive, look at 360 and PS3 market share worldwide... not that different.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

Well untill FFXIII they didnt release any PS3 games... and judging by the sales of FFCC:CB I think they are happy that they released the game on a Sony and not Nintendo platform

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Triple Chix said:
Because Sony still owns 20% of them.

That 20% went to 8.5% after Enix took over.  And it's non-voting stock anyway.

The real reason they "stuck with Sony" for FFXIII is that back when development on the game started everyone assumed PS3 would be the market leader by now.  They haven't stuck all that hard though, considering DQ went to Nintendo, KH went to handhelds and FFXIII even went multiplatform.

Munkeh111 said:
@ badgenome, yeah, we have just been bombarded with them. I am looking at my PS3 collection and I can see literally 1 SE game, isn't that amazing (and that is Batman which is only SE because they bought Eidos, and it even still bears the Eidos brand)

Arent you forgetting FFVII & VIII etc.. all those PS1 Square classics lol...Square's sufficating us man!

hunter_alien said:
Well untill FFXIII they didnt release any PS3 games... and judging by the sales of FFCC:CB I think they are happy that they released the game on a Sony and not Nintendo platform

Looking at sales of DQIX, I think they could've done better.

i know, Square needs to drop releasing games for the PS3, Wii, and 360 and release its games for the Dreamcast.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453