By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Super Mario Galaxy between 7-15 hours long...

I've been reading more on this, and even the 20 hours doesn't include the secret Galaxies that you'll unlock through exploration. These aren't required to beat the game but they are levels that you get only by exploring.

Legend, neogaf users are hardly a credible source.  The first one directly contradicted every single review source who has claimed the game is incredibly hard.  The 1UP reviewer claimed he died 15 times in under 3 minutes in one level.  The second guy, who sounded like he actually beat the game, noted that he had only beaten the main levels.  Surely you consider hidden Galaxies a more tangible way to increase play time than Achievement points.... 

Around the Network

Hahaha...

Stars, and achievements, are two totally different things. Achievements in 360 games are just little goals you can set for yourself within the main.

Getting stars is actual completely new content, with different level layouts and objectives.

That said, I've hear 20+ hours from most sources.

Is the big news that SMG is speed-runnable?

What's the record for Super Mario 3? Five minutes?

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Legend11 said:

I really don't see how commenting on a game's length is trolling. I mean I saw many threads in the Sony forum talking about Heavenly Sword's length and similar threads in the Microsoft forum about Halo 3 for example and I don't remember anyone being accused of trolling in those threads. There are also such threads about Call of Duty 4's length and still no mention of trolling.

The problem is that Mario Galaxy, unlike those games, is not a short game. Once again, all reviewers are reporting 20+ hours just for finishing the game, WITHOUT (read this part) all the stars.

If you want all the stars is 30+ hours.

This is obviously without counting walkthroughs and speed runs, otherwise all games would be below 2 hours

carlos710 - Capitán Primero: Nintendo Defense Force

"Wii are legion, for Wii are many"

Okay, the 7 hours you noted says play thorugh carefully, but then clearly states that playing through it only to get the "required star" to get through that galaxy (speed run). The 14~15 hour game is for 85 stars, and it's still in Mario mode. Both of these posts praised the game immensely...

I am not really sure what you are trying to get since the 1st person took the easiest route to play, which is also how people usually play speed runs. The 2nd one have gotten the 85 stars that's easiest to get before the last 35 stars from comet run, but have yet to go into "hard" mode. I would think that you would only count total time if said person actually "finish" the game?

P.S. People who have read the spoiler thread will know what I am talking about by "hard" mode

I am a PC gamer, and also have a NDS now, but without access to a Nintendo Wii until End of 2007.

Currently playing: Super Smash Brothers Brawl(Wii), Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer(DS), Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime (DS), WiiFit(Wii)

Games Recently Beaten: Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King (Normal; Very Hard after the next DLCs become available)

1 word: RTFA

Around the Network
Legend11 said:
naznatips said:
Reviewers are all reporting 20+ hours. IGN said it's more like 30 if you collect all stars. Give a credible source Legend or this is just trolling.

I really don't see how commenting on a game's length is trolling.  I mean I saw many threads in the Sony forum talking about Heavenly Sword's length and similar threads in the Microsoft forum about Halo 3 for example and I don't remember anyone being accused of trolling in those threads.   There are also such threads about Call of Duty 4's length and still no mention of trolling.

Anyways for starters check out the "Official Worldwide Super Mario Galaxy Thread - Megaton Spoiler in Post #4938" at NeoGAF.  Better yet I'll save people some work and just link to some of the postings in that thread (these people aren't trolls either and it's obvious from their postings)...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=8463289&postcount=5880 (7 hours)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=8475999&postcount=6035  (~14-15 hours)

Just as in my original posting I expected people to mention collecting stars but those people must realize that there are achievements and collectables in short 360 games as well for example (I collected hundreds of orbs in Crackdown and did all the timed races for example) but that wasn't enough to fend off those that put down short games.  Don't get me wrong I'm not putting down Super Mario Galaxy, in fact I'm defending it along with Heavenly Sword, Call of Duty 4, Halo 3, etc.

When (pretty much) every reviewer mentions that a game is less than 8 hours it stops being trolling in a discussion and becomes a fact

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=8463289&postcount=5880 (7 hours)

"Overall the game took me 7 hours to beat, taking my time to finish each galaxy until I reached the required number of stars to go to the end."

Just the minimum to finish the game... somehow reminds me the speed runners....

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=8475999&postcount=6035  (~14-15 hours)

"Alright, finished the game. Total time was ~14-15 hours. "

"So they sucked all that out and just left room after room of pure gameplay for 15-20 hours with no bullshit"

So, is 14, or 15-20 hours long???

Edit: Links added... 

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."

Sorry but I'm tired of Mario regardless of how long and how good the game may be. I'm getting Z&W.
Can't wait till Mass Effect - the (maybe) GOTY.

Bah FJ Warez I was going to post exactly what you just did, but VGchartz died while it was posting =(

Here's another quote about length from there: "It probably took me about 12-15 hours to get 61 stars and beat the game, but I imagine my total will be somewhere around 60-80 once I get all 120 stars."

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=8478502&postcount=6064

This is the best thing I've heard about the game so far:

"The game is really fantastic all around. What's nice is that Nintendo basically looked at Sunshine, looked at TP, looked at WW, and realized what brings the games down is the filler/tedious sections. So they sucked all that out and just left room after room of pure gameplay for 15-20 hours with no bullshit, and I approve highly of that"

And that was from the 14-15 hours guy.

Soriku said:
takkxyz said:
Okay, the 7 hours you noted says play thorugh carefully, but then clearly states that playing through it only to get the "required star" to get through that galaxy (speed run). The 14~15 hour game is for 85 stars, and it's still in Mario mode. Both of these posts praised the game immensely...

I am not really sure what you are trying to get since the 1st person took the easiest route to play, which is also how people usually play speed runs. The 2nd one have gotten the 85 stars that's easiest to get before the last 35 stars from comet run, but have yet to go into "hard" mode. I would think that you would only count total time if said person actually "finish" the game?

P.S. People who have read the spoiler thread will know what I am talking about by "hard" mode

Hard mode? You mean the Luigi mode or what? @Legend LOL at NeoGAF being a reliable source (in this situation). @FJ They probably did speed-runs.

yes, that's the mode I meant, but I am trying not to spoil it in case someone have not heard of it. There's also some other rumor about another unlocakable getting all 120 stars in hard mode, though I have not seen a single proof for it, and only proof contradicting it. 

I am a PC gamer, and also have a NDS now, but without access to a Nintendo Wii until End of 2007.

Currently playing: Super Smash Brothers Brawl(Wii), Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer(DS), Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime (DS), WiiFit(Wii)

Games Recently Beaten: Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King (Normal; Very Hard after the next DLCs become available)

1 word: RTFA