By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Super Mario Galaxy between 7-15 hours long...

IGN's podcast was a heated debate between this and Mass Effect for GotY. Should be interesting to see how it pans out.

Around the Network

naznatips said:
IGN's podcast was a heated debate between this and Mass Effect for GotY. Should be interesting to see how it pans out.

Ah good. Mass Effect is the game i'm pulling for to be GOTY.  Because if it is that means it's awesome... and it's the most anticpated game of the year for me.  My friend needs to get his Xbox fixed.

I usually want 15 out of my singleplayer games and 10 out of my multiplayer games. There are exceptions for games with lots of replayability (GTA), or are priced cheaper (RE4 Wii).

I'd bank on Mass Effect for GotY from most websites too, but I'll enjoy SMG just as much I'm sure.  Both games will be incredible.   

Funny reactions.

Around the Network

Galaxy, Sunshine, and Mario 64 can be finish with a minimum of stars and sunshines, usually takes more time to get all of them (Replay value????) Is not like, man I have beaten HS in 6 Hours I have seen it all...

But probably the OP won't come back with a reliable source, just anecdotal evidence (A friend of a friend...)

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."

I heard about this 7-15 hours thing. I believe it was reported on a forum somewhere by a game reviewer, but he emphasized that's because he "skipped" much of earlier stages because he been replaying that part "dozens" of times, and that he had a lot of practice with the initial test copies, therefore he was very good. He concluded that the game will normally last at least 20 hours to the average "hardcore" gamers, I can't believe how many people keep posting this as proof that the game is short.

Can you say "taking out of context"?

P.S. I believe we have a thread somewhere on this forum that quote this post in its entirety

I am a PC gamer, and also have a NDS now, but without access to a Nintendo Wii until End of 2007.

Currently playing: Super Smash Brothers Brawl(Wii), Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer(DS), Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime (DS), WiiFit(Wii)

Games Recently Beaten: Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King (Normal; Very Hard after the next DLCs become available)

1 word: RTFA

This is flame bait, stop feeding the troll guys.

Legend11... Ever so slowly, my arm rises, head descending.  Slowly, they come together in glorious union...  For shame, for shame indeed.

I wanna beat the game (Twice?) and i wanna get all the stars so i can unlock Luigi the I'm gonna beat it again

naznatips said:
Reviewers are all reporting 20+ hours. IGN said it's more like 30 if you collect all stars. Give a credible source Legend or this is just trolling.

I really don't see how commenting on a game's length is trolling.  I mean I saw many threads in the Sony forum talking about Heavenly Sword's length and similar threads in the Microsoft forum about Halo 3 for example and I don't remember anyone being accused of trolling in those threads.   There are also such threads about Call of Duty 4's length and still no mention of trolling.

Anyways for starters check out the "Official Worldwide Super Mario Galaxy Thread - Megaton Spoiler in Post #4938" at NeoGAF.  Better yet I'll save people some work and just link to some of the postings in that thread (these people aren't trolls either and it's obvious from their postings)...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=8463289&postcount=5880 (7 hours)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=8475999&postcount=6035  (~14-15 hours)

Just as in my original posting I expected people to mention collecting stars but those people must realize that there are achievements and collectables in short 360 games as well for example (I collected hundreds of orbs in Crackdown and did all the timed races for example) but that wasn't enough to fend off those that put down short games.  Don't get me wrong I'm not putting down Super Mario Galaxy, in fact I'm defending it along with Heavenly Sword, Call of Duty 4, Halo 3, etc.