By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - OH NO! What have I done! (PS3)

Is the PS3 region free? If I had imported that bad boy to the states, could I have played my US games on it?

Around the Network

Damn, the lightning ps3 is really cool.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

CommonMan said:
Is the PS3 region free? If I had imported that bad boy to the states, could I have played my US games on it?

Ps3 is completely region free. You can buy your console anywhere

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Severance said:
phinch1 said:
wow lol, im going to ask what everyone else is thinking.... whats with the 360 controller

he is using a 360 controller ON the ps3

(lame joke)

If I could find an audio of solid snake saying "Ugh, that was horrible" I would have posted it instead.

Hey! I'd give a shot! You'll probably like it!

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network
Pristine20 said:
CommonMan said:

Games yes. Movies, no.

I know that wasn't his question, I just wanted to add that point.

errorrrr said:
Just got my own lightning edition ps3 today in the MAIL!! finally!!! damn christmas! :(

are other SLIM ps3's light white?? or is that only for the FFXIII edition PS3?

This thread is still alive? I had no idea.

@errorrrr: Nice, glad to see somebody else with one too!

All the Slim PS3's are black. The Lightning Edition is the only non-black slim PS3 that I'm aware of. I'm sure later they'll release other colors though. The phat PS3's have been in black, silver, white, and gunmetal gray(mgs4 one) in Japan. Not sure about other regions.

@CommonMan: PS3 games are all region free, so you can play any ps3 game from anywhere. I'm not sure about ps1 games though.

@tedsteriscool: I'm not sure about dvd's as I haven't tried any of my US dvd's(region 1) on the ps3 yet.

Most blu rays are still region free at the moment I believe. I just ordered "Planet Earth: The Complete BBC series" and some other Blu Ray movies from Amazon.com (shipping to me here in Japan) and it shows them as being "all regions". It's so much cheaper buying it from Amazon compared to Amazon JP. It's well over twice the price, even including shipping!

edit: I tried out my US dvd's and they don't work because they're a different region. My ps2 games also didn't work...

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

I was gonna say play that PS3, you will be surprised with it, but seen as you already have then what can I say, seriously get Uncharted 2 it should change your opinion on the whole xbox 360>> ps 3 thing.
I really wanted a lightning edition and I could not afford it, got the black 120gb edition instead, I am one very jealous person now

Edit: then new PS3's are not BC compatible lol

it's the future of handheld

PS VITA = LIFE

The official Vita thread http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1

jneul said:

I was gonna say play that PS3, you will be surprised with it, but seen as you already have then what can I say, seriously get Uncharted 2 it should change your opinion on the whole xbox 360>> ps 3 thing.
I really wanted a lightning edition and I could not afford it, got the black 120gb edition instead, I am one very jealous person now

Edit: then new PS3's are not BC compatible lol

I just really like the design of the Lightning Edition, which is why I picked it up (even though the game is so so). Though if I wasn't in Japan I probably wouldn't have gotten it. The prices from online import/export shops were way too much for me (I think they were all ~$700 USD or so, yikes!). I paid the standard price in Japan 41,600 yen (actually a little lower since I got ~2,000 yen store credit as well), which I figured was a pretty good price for a nice looking 250gb ps3 and one brand new game.

As for the PS3, well I haven't really been playing too much FF13. I did buy my first blu ray movie though (The Dark Night, yeah yeah ) and I ordered some more from the US.(I really want to see Planet Earth!) I did start replaying Dragon Quest VII (it's BC compatible!!! ), though I could have easily done that on my ps2 as well.

I've seen Uncharted 2 new for ~4,800 yen, which is pretty cheap, so I may pick that up next month (after I finish some of my current games)

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

tedsteriscool said:
Pristine20 said:
CommonMan said:

Games yes. Movies, no.

I know that wasn't his question, I just wanted to add that point.

And some games get censored on Japanese PS3's. Uncharted and Resistance 2 for example. And it doesn't matter where the game is from (be it PAL, NTSC or NTSC-J).

"And yet, I've realized that maybe living a "decent" life means you won't ever have a "good" life."