By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why Blu-Ray is bad for the PS3

I guess you could make threads like that, but they'd be silly threads. No one in his right mind thinks that Nintendo cutting costs on the Wii was a bad idea. Further, it seems that a great many customers appreciate it as well. And while most would agree, I think, that the HD-less 360 models are generally bad for the system, it's hard to believe that it's had that much of an impact.

Around the Network

every system has it's shortcomings. i can think of multiple peeves for each system but i've said it before and i'll say it again:

some people on this forum simply seem to have unsettled business with sony. this goes well beyond disliking their products and choosing not to purchase or support them. i'm not sure what sony did to you guys personally or how you can hate one corporation while loving another and not realizing that they all exist solely to make money off us in any way they can and in every facet of our lives. Every corporation has done some pretty shitty things in the name of profit. To somehow think your favorite brands are infallible while others are anti-consumer or whatever is simply asinine.

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

ameratsu said:
every system has it's shortcomings. i can think of multiple peeves for each system but i've said it before and i'll say it again:

some people on this forum simply seem to have unsettled business with sony. this goes well beyond disliking their products and choosing not to purchase or support them. i'm not sure what sony did to you guys personally or how you can hate one corporation while loving another and not realizing that they all exist solely to make money off us in any way they can and in every facet of our lives. Every corporation has done some pretty shitty things in the name of profit. To somehow think your favorite brands are infallible while others are anti-consumer or whatever is simply asinine.

Amen brother!!

"All three consoles have been out for some time now. So its time to stop using the term "next gen" this is current gen people."-me-

MCL

Griffin said:
"Resistance vs Halo 3 would work better, right?" I would say yes but Halo is not HD so it does not count.

Sorry, but screen resolution is NOT related to disc size. So you can't use that to claim Halo 3 can't compare to Resistance, since the things that ARE related to disc size, texture resolution, unique textures and levels, game layout for loading, are comparable. The major performance differences are the lighting (which caused the reduced screen resolution), and FMVs (which Insomniac said used about 16GB of disc space). If you took the FMVs out of Resistance, and the lighting out of Halo 3, they would run at aobut the same, and take about the same disc space.

Blu-ray is needed this gen and thats a fact, multiple games on the 360 take up more then one disc. The guys who made PGR4 already had to change their game to make it fit on DVD9, the rockstar VP Dan Houser said that the lack of HDD and the small disc size of DVD9 is a limit on what they wanted to do.

Most multiplatform games look better on the PS3, the only people having problems are EA and Ubisoft, and they suck and just toss out as many games as possible with as little man hours as they can manage.

The new CoD is better on the Ps3 then the 360, better lighting, better textures and some other stuff. This was even mentioned on a 360 site preview for CoD4.

The new UT game will be limited by DVD9, the guys at Epic have basically said this. They plan to fill the blu-ray disc if they have enough time, over 40 maps last i heard.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

It's funny to see console fanboys claim that Blu-Ray is needed for HD games. They wouldn't say that it if they knew about the dozens of PC games which have been doing resolutions better than 1080p for years, while being released on CD/DVD.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network
Coca-Cola said:
Sony made a mistake by adding BR player on PS3, and they are paying (literally) for it. They are getting desperate - cutting prices - losing money and now this -
The BR camp is accusing Microsoft for fueling the format war!
http://www.homemediamagazine.com/news/html/breaking_article.cfm?sec_id=2&&article_ID=11479

Good article about the format war. There are many articles on this subject today - the war is heating up.

"Collins said Microsoft decided to join the HD DVD format two CES shows ago because the format’s replication costs were and still are the cheapest. He said there are only three plants in the world that can produce BD-50 discs, and those are all owned by Sony." (emphasis mine)

There is no format war. DVD is going to rule the disc format for at least the next 5 years. Consumers don't want to choose, when there's a risk they choose the losing format. So as long as there's not a single next-gen disc format there won't be mass consumer adaption.

That doesn't mean it couldn't be a good gaming format for the PS3, but Sony loses a lot of money and marketshare due to the discission to push a disc format via their gameconsole.

BengaBenga said:

There is no format war. DVD is going to rule the disc format for at least the next 5 years. Consumers don't want to choose, when there's a risk they choose the losing format. So as long as there's not a single next-gen disc format there won't be mass consumer adaption.

Next-gen DVDs are already, I think, 5% of the total market, and growing fast. They may hit 10% in certain markets by the end of the holiday season. Next-gen will definitely take over in a couple of years. It's related to the uptake of wide-screen HDTVs - you need the display technology and lots of pixels to showcase what BluRay can do.

naznatips said:

The Wii does not have the shortest games this generation. In fact, That's a huge joke. Metroid Prime 3 is more than 20 hours on Veteran and more than 25 on hyper. Super Mario Galaxy is reportedly 20-30 on the main quest depending on how good you are at platformers. It's also got a lengthy fully orchestrated soundtrack. That's not even counting Brawl, which has more content crammed into a game than I have ever seen in the 20 years I've been gaming. Folklore is less than 10 hours per charcter. Even with sidequests. If you count the second character (who plays through pretty much the exact same levels) as more playtime, then you can call it 15-20.

Also, I've never said Blu-ray wasn't being used at all. I just said it's not being used for content. Graphics and audio aren't content. They are graphics and audio. That's great and all, but why did we sacrifice content to go to High Definition? If HD graphics and audio are part of what's causing games to be shorter despite Blu-ray's disc size, then why is the 360 on 7GB discs releasing games like Bioshock (20 hours) and Mass Effect (40 hours)? What's wrong with using multple DVDs like Lost Odyssey to make 80 hour games?

Again, I really don't care about what visual and audio effects Blu-ray is being used for right now, because I'm a stingy bastard and when I buy games I want them to be long and full of content. I don't care if Ratchet's face is bump-mapped to all hell if that sacrifices 5 hours of gameplay and all the fun I had in online multiplayer. If that is a good sacrifice for you, then great, but Blu-ray has not been used to increase the qualities in games that I care about.

You can't read.

Read my post again... Exactly the opposite of what i said... i'm not even going to explain it, just read my post again and i hope you realize why the first part of your post is pointless.

it's funny how you mention the "lengthy fully orchestrated soundtrack" and later you say audio isn't content, contradiction right there.

I just laughed at your Brawl, content... i like Brawl and all but that's plain bullshit, "the game with more content in the 20 years you have been playing" then you must have not played a lot of games in those 20 years. I might be missing something here... i don't know, but looking at the official Brawl site (http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/index.html), i don't think i'm missing anything. Please tell me what's that content i'm missing.

With the Folklore comment, you showed me you are just being a blind fanboy... I don't think you own this game, and i don't know why you don't wanna count the second character (cause both characters are important for the storyline), with all the sidequests and collecting every folk, it lasts way more than 10 hours, just stop the bs. I own the game, you can't fool me. Also, if you don't wanna count the second character, then we should say that the classic mode in brawl is actually shorter than Folklore, i mean... you are doing the same thing with the other characters right? Really, like i said, you are a blind fanboy and you see things how you wanna see them.

Your second paragraph is again about length = disc size, so im not gonna bother to reply, again i think you can't read.

Like i said before, the original point was if blu-ray was being used and all you talk about is length. It's getting boring, just move on and realize that it doesnt work like that.

Half the people in this thread have entirely missed the point. The simple fact is that at this point Blu-Ray has not been proven to have any real benefits for gaming. Don't get me wrong, having Blu-Ray in the PS3 may have been fantastic for the FORMAT wars, but it is terrible for Sony's position in the CONSOLE wars.

This is not about disliking Sony, or disliking Blu-Ray, this is about Blu-Ray being an inappropriate choice for the PS3.

And for all of those touting the massive disk space needed for R:FoM, look up the article where it was recently revealed that the devs were so incompetent, they placed the same textures on the disk repeatedely to use them for each specific level. The reason they did this rather than reusing the same copy over and over, is due to the excessive load times that are related to the PS3's small RAM and the slower load times of Blu-Ray. OF course the BIGGEST reason they did this was so that Sony could go "LOOK EVERYONE, 22GIGABYTES, I SWEAR ITS TRUE......"

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

@starcraft

Just like cd and dvd had no benefits in gaming. YEa sure.. You know what keep playing your 8 hour long games while I play my 15 hours +games in 1080P.

mM