By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Games you don't think are as great as they're cracked up to be

Ocarina of Time.

Fun, but I don't get exactly get why it's considered be the greatest game of all time by some...

Around the Network

Okami - It was good game but i didn't blow me away.

Halo 1 - I thought it was a fun game and well executed but not the end all be all it was made out to be.

Final Fantasy IX - I enjoyed the game a lot, but FFVII and FFVIII were so terrible in comparison. I think FFIX tends be overrated.

Bioshock. It's just not very fun. But worth playing for the amazing art and atmosphere and great story.

NSMB Wii. I would give it a 9+ personally, but some nostalgic 35-year olds are giving it way too much credit.

That's about it. My opinions generally fall in line with the majority.

That is about it for games that I own from this generation. Pretty much all of these I bought based on hype off of this website, with Uncharted and LittleBigPlanet living up to it the most, but they had their letdowns.

LittleBigPlanet - I liked the game, but it doesn't live up to Mario Platforming. The level creation and online makes up for that, but I found it hard to find good levels and I'm not patient enough to make my own. Really good game, but not HUGE.

Zack & Wiki - ok game, but the game just went WAY to slow. You would get to the end of a stage, die, and then have to retry everything which would take forever. If they just moved faster I probably would have liked it. I know others who quit the game for the same reason. In fact, I sold my copy that

Uncharted - I already beat it 3 times (mostly for trophies) but the platforming is meh, and the jet-ski totally sucks. My biggest problem with the platforming is that sometimes Nate does these huge superman type jumps, but then other times he can't muster more than a bunny hop to his death. I personally like the shooting parts even if I think the game is a little unfair with constantly having badguys come from behind, but whatever.

Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World - Emil sucks and ruins the entire game, but then again soriku is the only person who hypes this game to death

Okami - good game, but the super long story drags it down. Even if you love the story, the game breaking wall dude you have to make 8 dots on is so frustrating most people would quit.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Aj_habfan said:
Super Mario Bros. 3

Metal Gear Solid 3

LittleBigPlanet

Fat Princess

All good games.

Oh yes forgot about that one. Great level editor but very bad platformer.

I'll add in

COD4: The MP was actually good but not as great or even some say revolutionary, come on now let's not get crazy here.

Around the Network
Xen said:
Ocarina of Time.

Fun, but I don't get exactly get why it's considered be the greatest game of all time by some...

you probably aren't old enough to have lived through it and according to your sig you started with a PS1. By todays standards it is a good game, but at the time it was revolutionary. This game is up there with Mario 64, Super Mario World, The Legend of Zelda (NES), The Legend of Zelda: A Link to The Past in terms of how many times I beat the game. Most people who revisit it probably won't be as impressed as those who got it when it first came out.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Fallout 3

it's a good game by itself, but it never felt anything close to playing Fallout 1+2

in the end, it felt much more like Oblivion then a Fallout Title

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

Infamous
Both Gears of War games
Final Fantasy VII
Crisis Core: Final Fantasy
Halo 1-3
Super Mario Galaxy
Madworld

GETTIN' CHRONOCRUNK

Oblivion. God, I hate that game. It made me think that it would be fun this time, but ended up disappointing me every time.

This summarizes my feelings on the game.

There are so many... The ones that instantly came to mind are

Fallout 3 - After spending so much time with Oblivion and with that engine and feel of gameplay I guess the Fallout experience (despite being somewhat different) just felt all too familiar and worn out to me.

CoD 4 and beyond - Loved CoD 1, 2 and 3 but CoD 4 just went too far for my taste with over the top action meanwhile the gameplay feel was identical to 2 and 3 with the only thing changing being the gun sizes and scopes which gave the illusion of altered gameplay. The graphics never looked that great to me either. Beyond this I gave up on the series.

Batman: AA - The atmosphere is presented pretty much perfectly through the visuals and sound but the gameplay just felt too simplistic in platforming and combat (the bulk of the game).

The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay (last gen version) - I think this game was acclaimed to be a great game solely based on the graphics. I think people overlooked the gameplay. There was a lot of variety and the story was well told but the controls (movement and sensitivity) were really awkward to me. It really ruined playing the game itself.

MGS4 - I'm all for great stories and don't mind long cutscenes. For a lot of games I wish they were longer in order to flesh out the plot and characters. In the case of MGS4 I got annoyed with the cutscenes. Not because they were long, not because they were boring (they were the complete opposite), but because to me it felt like al lot of good gameplay opportunity sequences in the game were experienced through cutscenes rather than gameplay.