By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Has a videogame TV ad ever made you mad??

naznatips said:

I have to agree that recent Playstation and PSP ads have been godawful. Nothing on the quality of the systems, but the advertisements are unbelievably bad. Especially "Get your own" PSP ads. They need to be hit for those ones.

I also agree that the MP3 ad was dumb for the style of game. Here is my favorite video game commercial.

Yeah I believe that the Smash Bros commercial was the best videogame commercial ever made, I remember the first time I saw it on MTV, I laughed so hard!

Around the Network

Just about every game commercial ever made. As a rule, they're atrocious.

At some point 15 years ago, somebody decided that games weren't "cool" enough to stand on their own in ads, so the "gimmick ad" was born: basically, it's 25 seconds of live action footage showing some really bad joke or artsy scenario that vaguely relates to the game, then 3 seconds of game footage, then 2 seconds of logos. And even now, when games have reached a storytelling and visual level where there should be no question that they can be the focus of the ad, we're still stuck with this crap 80% of the time.

Can you imagine if they advertised movies this way? Never actually show any footage from it, and instead show a bunch of doofuses reenacting a scene from it or have a guy in a mascot outfit describe it to us?

Sony has to deserve a lifetime achievement award for Ads that Pissed Me Off. It's difficult to pick the worst one... the "woman on a toilet" ad in Europe was pretty awful, but on the other hand, once the whole 5 minute ad was released it wasn't that bad as a sort of indie film... it just didn't have the slightest chance of making anyone buy a PS3. The white room ads were inarguably godawful, of course... But I think the very worst has to be the talking squirrel/rat/whatever PSP ads. Nothing, nothing could top those pieces of utter crap.

The last really good game ad I remember seeing was for Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles on GC. Basically, it was just the theme song to the game (the actual theme song, not some pop piece the marketers decided would be better) played over footage of the game for 30 seconds. Simple and refreshing.

I couldn't find an upload of it on youtube though. Ironically, all I could find was this one, a perfect example of the lame gimmick ads I was just complaining about:

There have been other good game ads, definitely. Not many have stuck with me though.

Borkachev said:

At some point 15 years ago, somebody decided that games weren't "cool" enough to stand on their own in ads, so the "gimmick ad" was born: basically, it's 25 seconds of live action footage showing some really bad joke or artsy scenario that vaguely relates to the game, then 3 seconds of game footage, then 2 seconds of logos. And even now, when games have reached a storytelling and visual level where there should be no question that they can be the focus of the ad, we're still stuck with this crap 80% of the time.

Can you imagine if they advertised movies this way? Never actually show any footage from it, and instead show a bunch of doofuses reenacting a scene from it or have a guy in a mascot outfit describe it to us?

Sony has to deserve a lifetime achievement award for Ads that Pissed Me Off. It's difficult to pick the worst one... the "woman on a toilet" ad in Europe was pretty awful, but on the other hand, once the whole 5 minute ad was released it wasn't that bad as a sort of indie film... it just didn't have the slightest chance of making anyone buy a PS3. The white room ads were inarguably godawful, of course... But I think the very worst has to be the talking squirrel/rat/whatever PSP ads. Nothing, nothing could top those pieces of utter crap.

The last really good game ad I remember seeing was for Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles on GC. Basically, it was just the theme song to the game (the actual theme song, not some pop piece the marketers decided would be better) played over footage of the game for 30 seconds. Simple and refreshing.

I couldn't find an upload of it on youtube though. Ironically, all I could find was this one, a perfect example of the lame gimmick ads I was just complaining about:

There have been other good game ads, definitely. Not many have stuck with me though.

Damn your analisys couldn't be more accurate, I hate those commercials too, full of non-game footage and almost no gameplay, and the worst is that people actually buy games from cool commercials even if they don't have gameplay footage at all. I think there would be no other way the army men series could have survived for so long...

Borkachev said:

100% correct. 

Game ads are by far the most divergent from the product they are trying to sell out of ANY industry.  Even in the cavemen commercials, they MENTION insurance throughout the commercial.  You SEE people eating a snickers in the commercials.

As a callback to my previous post about Halo 3, I never once saw a second of gameplay footage in a single one of the ads for that game.

I am a Gauntlet Adventurer.

I strive to improve my living conditions by hoarding gold, food, and sometimes keys and potions. I love adventure, fighting, and particularly winning - especially when there's a prize at stake. I occasionally get lost inside buildings and can't find the exit. I need food badly. What Video Game Character Are You?

Mega Man 9 Challenges: 74%

Waltz Tango Jitterbug Bust a move Headbanging
Bunny Hop Mr. Trigger Happy Double Trouble Mr. Perfect Invincible
Almost Invincible No Coffee Break Air Shoes Mega Diet Encore
Peacekeeper Conservationist Farewell To Arms Gamer's Day Daily Dose
Whomp Wiley! Truly Addicted! Truly Hardcore! Conqueror Vanquisher
Destroyer World Warrior Trusty Sidearm Pack Rat Valued Customer
Shop A Holic Last Man Standing Survivor Hard Rock Heavy Metal
Speed Metal Fantastic 9 Fully Unloaded Blue Bomber Eco Fighter
Marathon Fight Quick Draw G Quick Draw C Quick Draw S Quick Draw H
Quick Draw J Quick Draw P Quick Draw T Quick Draw M Quick Draw X

agreed that smash had the best--the one that ticked me off happened last night

Assi Creed came one and never mentioned that it was on other systems..JUST THE PS3--that ticked me off

Around the Network
mesoteto said:
agreed that smash had the best--the one that ticked me off happened last night

Assi Creed came one and never mentioned that it was on other systems..JUST THE PS3--that ticked me off

This has been really common as of late. Two off the top of my head that I can think of are The Simpsons Game, and Tony Hawk's proving grounds. Both made mention only of the PS3 titles. Regardless of the console being touted, it is most certainly the result of hardware manufacturers stepping in with cash to advertise for only their console. No multi-platform developer in their right mind would shoot themselves in the foot with sales potential with out some sort of monetary compensation, or due to some contractual obligation penned in to the licensing agreement. That said, I would think it would be the latter, as I don't think Sony would sink a bunch of cash for exclusive advertising for the two aforementioned titles...

I am a Gauntlet Adventurer.

I strive to improve my living conditions by hoarding gold, food, and sometimes keys and potions. I love adventure, fighting, and particularly winning - especially when there's a prize at stake. I occasionally get lost inside buildings and can't find the exit. I need food badly. What Video Game Character Are You?

Mega Man 9 Challenges: 74%

Waltz Tango Jitterbug Bust a move Headbanging
Bunny Hop Mr. Trigger Happy Double Trouble Mr. Perfect Invincible
Almost Invincible No Coffee Break Air Shoes Mega Diet Encore
Peacekeeper Conservationist Farewell To Arms Gamer's Day Daily Dose
Whomp Wiley! Truly Addicted! Truly Hardcore! Conqueror Vanquisher
Destroyer World Warrior Trusty Sidearm Pack Rat Valued Customer
Shop A Holic Last Man Standing Survivor Hard Rock Heavy Metal
Speed Metal Fantastic 9 Fully Unloaded Blue Bomber Eco Fighter
Marathon Fight Quick Draw G Quick Draw C Quick Draw S Quick Draw H
Quick Draw J Quick Draw P Quick Draw T Quick Draw M Quick Draw X

The third place. Do i need to say more.

About advertising multiplatform game on a single platform, it also depends on that do different console version have different importers/publishers. If they do, importer/publisher propably advertise only the version it have imported/published.
Of course, if console manufacturer pays for advertising on their console, it's a differen case then. For example if i recall, NHL07 was advertised by the "skill stick" feature. "NHL07. New skill stick -only on Xbox 360". Although "only on 360" was meaning the skill stick, it still gave you an image, that the game was 360 exclusive.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.