By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Miyamoto Speaks About Mario and 'Hyper Realistic' Graphics on BBC

nordlead said:
more proof that Nintendo is lazy.

so creating an artistic world which is based on fantasy is done by being lazy

and buying 90% of your game's code to set up an engine is great (and hardcore, of course)

now I get it

Around the Network
Dgc1808 said:
I can't think of any specific games that Nintendo makes that would work with a realistic focus.

Zelda would be a good idea.

What I will always love about Nintendo is that they are trying to do something different and to improve it always further. Zelda Twilight Princess had a huge overworld and epic boss battles because they do improve Zelda.

And they will continue to do so. Although you think that Nintendo always recycle everything, remember that the company produces more games in a year than any other company (like Activision...)

And in a majority of 90%, their games are incredible and really appealing.

Yes, they fail sometimes, but considering that Activision failed half of their lazy games, Nintendo is, and will still be, the best gaming company among all the others for decades.

And also, Nintendo is likely the company that satisfies any genre. If you're looking for third party like Square Enix, you can expect from them about one or two games per year, and 1 really big game per 3 years.

And hyper-realistic graphics are easier to do than Mario's graphics. Just look at how he changes in 2D games and evolves and you'll see. Sprites to 3D models...

The real fact is that everybody, somewhere, love Nintendo in a own special way. For Mario, for Zelda, for Metroid, for Pikmin, for Smash Bros, everybody once in a lifetime love one game from Nintendo. And when you love a serie, you're always happy to see it evolves and get good sales and to see that Nintendo never abandon you.

So wait until Super Mario Galaxy 2 for Mario fan to play more and more incredible levels. Mario Galaxy was a true masterpiece, with excellent graphics, but they are not so hyper realistic! And for those that are saying Mario Galaxy 2 doesn't improve in graphics, do you really mind about that? I mean, it was so much a pleasure to discover new exciting galaxies in the first one, that I wanted a sequel to discover more and more and more galaxies. And here it comes in 2010! That is the really magic aspect of Nintendo, because someday, they fulfill one of your wish and then... people are complaining about the short experience. That's where Nintendo is so special... an incredible experience for all kinds of gamers.

The real problem is only third editors. Nintendo is excellent in its own way.

I would say he's right. There's been a trend on the HD consoles to make everything look dark, bleak, and desaturated, with lots of dirty textures, moody lighting, and bump mapping up the yin-yang. Not every game is doing it, but a lot of them are.

Nintendo, on the other hand, has created a very simplistic style for most of their games that is functional and clear. They always have excellent presentation, even if they don't have bump mapping galore.

As for this,

"He talks about originality and yet, Nintendo are doing the same thing over and over for many generations running. Yes, they set themselves apart from others but do not reinvent themselves, which holds less value than one might think imo."

Wii Sports = motion control
Wii Fit = creation of the fitness genre
Super Mario Galaxy = "planet hopping" gameplay
Zelda Phantom Hourglass = using the stylus for control
Wii Sports Resort = 1:1 motion control
NSMB Wii = 4 player 2d mario.
Brain Age = first "brain training" type of game
Wii Vitality = first "stress training" type of game
Zelda Wii = sounds like it's going to be very different

I would say they're being pretty original here and there.

mortono said:
I would say he's right. There's been a trend on the HD consoles to make everything look dark, bleak, and desaturated, with lots of dirty textures, moody lighting, and bump mapping up the yin-yang. Not every game is doing it, but a lot of them are.

Nintendo, on the other hand, has created a very simplistic style for most of their games that is functional and clear. They always have excellent presentation, even if they don't have bump mapping galore.

As for this,

"He talks about originality and yet, Nintendo are doing the same thing over and over for many generations running. Yes, they set themselves apart from others but do not reinvent themselves, which holds less value than one might think imo."

Wii Sports = motion control
Wii Fit = creation of the fitness genre
Super Mario Galaxy = "planet hopping" gameplay
Zelda Phantom Hourglass = using the stylus for control
Wii Sports Resort = 1:1 motion control
NSMB Wii = 4 player 2d mario.
Brain Age = first "brain training" type of game
Wii Vitality = first "stress training" type of game
Zelda Wii = sounds like it's going to be very different

I would say they're being pretty original here and there.

Wii Sports; yes, I clearly stated "apart from waggle and motion control". Wii Sports is original as can be in that sense.

Wii Fit; not exactly. Nintendo did help create the genre (in the 80's) but not with Wii Fit, people made games before you started playing them.

Super Mario Galaxy; Ratchet & Clank Going Commando from 2003 did the exact same thing and just as well.

Zelda Phantom Hourglass; the first DS game to use the stylus for controls? I don't think that's right, but yes, the DS was first with stylus controls so I'll give you that.

Wii Sports Resort; refining and already existing technology is not original, it is natural. Or do you see the makers of the first economy light bulbs as great pioneers as well (same concept, less power, useful but not a brand new concept)?

NSMB Wii; not the first 4 player coop game, but the first Mario coop game of its kind. Cool as hell but very original? Little Big Planet also has 4 player coop.

Brain Age; derived from puzzle games of all sorts. A good concept and a huge success to boot but hardly a revolution.

Wii Vitality; agreed, that is quite original indeed.

Zelda Wii; sounds like and is are two different things so that's hardly valid right now.

All in all, I respectfully disagree that they're being very original. But, yet again, they're still damn good and that's what matters.

Well, it makes sense, I agree with Miyamoto, although I would like them to make more games next year.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Around the Network

Some games work better as cartoons. Some work better as live action.
The key is to know which is which - and be able to do both well.
Unfortunately, some developers and some critics think everything should be the latter -- and that's all they can do or care about.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

The only Nintendo game that I believe could benefit from being realistic is F-Zero.

I just remembered, isn't Metroid Prime 3 rather realistic looking? Kinda like Perfect Dark in a way?

Mummelmann said:
I just remembered, isn't Metroid Prime 3 rather realistic looking? Kinda like Perfect Dark in a way?

Absolutely.

And did you see Metroid: Other M? I think it's quite realistic and the design is as good as FFXIII

But, then again, Miyamoto is damn right on the thing. People saw to much realistic content and when you show another game with hyper-realistic graphics, people are not that impressed. A great level design like New Super Mario Bros Wii is quite enjoyable because it is original.

@Mummelmann

They may have had their inspirations, but I would still say that those games are original.

Wii Sports Resort is original because it allowed the possibility of motion-controlled Archery, Frisbee, and Swordplay, that of which I've never seen in a video game before.

Zelda Phantom Hourglass was the first Zelda game to use stylus controls. DS, of course, allowed the use of stylus controls in many games, but PH was the one that stood out to me.

Anyways, what do you want from them? If this stuff doesn't impress you, what will?