By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Miyamoto Speaks About Mario and 'Hyper Realistic' Graphics on BBC

Mummelmann said:
Khuutra said:
Mummelmann said:
Khuutra said:
Mummelmann said:
He talks about originality and yet, Nintendo are doing the same thing over and over for many generations running. Yes, they set themselves apart from others but do not reinvent themselves, which holds less value than one might think imo.
At this point though, they don't need to reinvent themselves, they're doing just fine!

PS: I'm talking about the games and not the console, not a lot of new, exciting IP's from Nintendo or too many vastly different takes on the old ones, after all.

I can't tell if you're being serious or not given the texture of this generation

But you've mentioned not owning any current-gen systems, right?

Why wouldn't I be serious?

I own one current gen console now and will have two come january. What exactly in my post irked you? Is any of it blatantly false or very aggravating? I don't think it is, its just an observation.

It's just that Nintendo uses many of their series as testing grounds for new gameplay concepts, essentially reinventing them once every couple of generations. Metroid and Zelda would be the big ones, though what they're done with the Wii series is also a big one.

I just don't understand how one can dismiss Nintendo as "doing the same thing over and over for many generations running", especially this generation.

Save for the addition of waggle and motion controls, what makes Zelda, Mario, Super Smash Brothers, Metroid and Mario Kart very different this gen? Not a whole lot in my opinion, which is fine by me. Don't fix what ain't broke like they say, my point is that they don't have to be radically different to be good.

Zelda TP is more of a GC game than a Wii game. It was just ported to the Wii.

Mario introduces quite a lot of new concepts to the series.

Mario Kart introduces online play, and great online play at that...

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network
NJ5 said:
Mummelmann said:
Khuutra said:
Mummelmann said:
Khuutra said:
Mummelmann said:
He talks about originality and yet, Nintendo are doing the same thing over and over for many generations running. Yes, they set themselves apart from others but do not reinvent themselves, which holds less value than one might think imo.
At this point though, they don't need to reinvent themselves, they're doing just fine!

PS: I'm talking about the games and not the console, not a lot of new, exciting IP's from Nintendo or too many vastly different takes on the old ones, after all.

I can't tell if you're being serious or not given the texture of this generation

But you've mentioned not owning any current-gen systems, right?

Why wouldn't I be serious?

I own one current gen console now and will have two come january. What exactly in my post irked you? Is any of it blatantly false or very aggravating? I don't think it is, its just an observation.

It's just that Nintendo uses many of their series as testing grounds for new gameplay concepts, essentially reinventing them once every couple of generations. Metroid and Zelda would be the big ones, though what they're done with the Wii series is also a big one.

I just don't understand how one can dismiss Nintendo as "doing the same thing over and over for many generations running", especially this generation.

Save for the addition of waggle and motion controls, what makes Zelda, Mario, Super Smash Brothers, Metroid and Mario Kart very different this gen? Not a whole lot in my opinion, which is fine by me. Don't fix what ain't broke like they say, my point is that they don't have to be radically different to be good.

Zelda TP is more of a GC game than a Wii game. It was just ported to the Wii.

Mario introduces quite a lot of new concepts to the series.

Mario Kart introduces online play, and great online play at that...

All true.

www.tranmererovers.co.uk

Currently playing: Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks and Red Steel.

Wii Friend Codes:

Smash Bros Brawl- 5284 2865 3565

Mario Kart Wii- 0216 0932 4306

Mario Strikers Charged- 034471 707985

Send me a message if you have added me.