By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Miyamoto Speaks About Mario and 'Hyper Realistic' Graphics on BBC

Isn't Zelda a definition of moving from more cartoony to more realistic? (on the Wii at least)

so I don't see this argument stands very well. But hey, since it sells, why bother with any type of explanation??

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)
Around the Network
kingofwale said:
Isn't Zelda a definition of moving from more cartoony to more realistic? (on the Wii at least)

so I don't see this argument stands very well. But hey, since it sells, why bother with any type of explanation??

....no. Not at all. Why do you ask?

It wouldnt hurt them to make something realistic; F-Zero is a good example. It doesnt have to suffer the same fate (i mean that in sort of a good way) as Zelda. It could look phenomenal like the the way GX did on the gamecube.

Khuutra said:
kingofwale said:

Simply because I see no reason why he always want to bring up the other consoles when the question was clearly not focusing on that.

Here is the thing.. YEs, mario was unique and yes other consoles have realistic looking games.

BUT... they also have stylized games too.

Those are pretty stylized. Frankly, What Nintendo has done to give gamers "varity"??

Hence why I say... since it sells, why explain???

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
kingofwale said:
Khuutra said:
kingofwale said:

Simply because I see no reason why he always want to bring up the other consoles when the question was clearly not focusing on that.

Here is the thing.. YEs, mario was unique and yes other consoles have realistic looking games.

Those are pretty stylized. Frankly, What Nintendo has done to give gamers "varity"??

There's a reason he said "the majority" rather than "everyone".

Around the Network

i agree with everything he said there
thats what makes wii games looks so unique

End of 2012 prediction:

xbox 360 : 73-75 million  playstation 3 : 72-74 million  wii : 104-105 million 

Most hyped for :

Bioshock: infinte, The Last Of Us, Alan Wake's American Nightmare and Agent

Khuutra said:
kingofwale said:
Khuutra said:
kingofwale said:

agree. how in a world where everything is "majority" as oppose to "absolute".

why is Nintendo only focusing on stylized games?? Would it kill them to do 1 realistic game?   

selnor
Episode 2:

"Our company makes games of several different styles but we always try to be different, whether it's video game or animations there are always trends. For example, in the video games industry, it seems that the majority of companies are heading in the same direction, taking advantage of identical technologies. They are simply trying to be better than their rivals,” explained Miyamoto. "But my idea is pretty different. We try to be unique and different and try not to depend on the techniques of others. We try to be as uniquely creative as possible, and that's got to have played a part in making our games look different."

It sounds like he's talking about FPS on the consoles. Each one is basically the same with differnet twists... but there's a huge amount of games that are unique and creative.

Making the same 2-D mario game, that has been popular since it first came out, using basically the exact same look, doesn't strike me as uniquely creative. I bought it because it looked fun, but it's not very unique or creative. It has more to do with branding and accessibility.

In terms of making a 2-D game. If it was really unique and creative, wouldn't they have different multiplayer options. Playing with someone offline seems to me to be exactly using the techniques that others have used.

kingofwale said:
Khuutra said:

agree. how in a world where everything is "majority" as oppose to "absolute".

why is Nintendo only focusing on stylized games?? Would it kill them to do 1 realistic game?   

They made/published Disaster: Day of Crisis.

I'm not sure I understand your first paragraph.

Dgc1808 said:
I can't think of any specific games that Nintendo makes that would work with a realistic focus.

Metroid