By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - ( Gran Turismo 5 ) Gets Summer 2010 Release

While it hasn't quite reached Duke Nukem Forever status, Polyphony Digital's full-fledged Gran Turismo follow-up for PlayStation 3 is a long-time coming. But according to SCEA Associate Producer Chris Hinojosa-Miranda, the wait is nearly over.

During a short demo presentation of Gran Turismo 5 earlier this week, Hinojosa-Miranda re-confirmed the March 2010 release for for Japan. Without getting too specific, he then revealed that Sony was eying a vague "Summer 2010" release, which hopefully means we'll see it before leaves start falling off trees next year. 

More after the jump.

Interestingly, Hinojosa-Miranda had mentioned to me that he was traveling the U.S. in the coming week to photograph cars for Polyphony's reference material. With nearly 1,000 cars in the game, it's not that big of a stretch to think that they may still be working to flesh out the game's roster. And while he wouldn't confirm how far along they were towards completing Gran Turismo 5 development, he did say this work wasn't necessarily for the current game.

"It's not for Gran Turismo 5 or a DLC release," he said, clarifying that it's constantly building on its reference material archives. After years of development and multiple Gran Turismo titles, how else do you think it's filling those garages but with non-stop research?

On the subject of DLC for the title, he said it was something it was considering, but had nothing to announce at this time.

When asked if there would be any difference between the Japanese version set for release in March and the North American version many months later, he was also non-committal, saying simply they hadn't yet revealed the full feature list. Details, he told me, would be coming soon.

Those looking to get their hands on Gran Turismo 5 won't have to wait until next year -- a demo for the game hits PlayStation Network next week.

PS4 Preordered - 06/11/2013 @09:30am

XBox One Preordered - 06/19/2013 @07:57pm

"I don't trust #XboxOne & #Kinect 2.0, it's always connected" as you tweet from your smartphone - irony 0_o

Around the Network

But I want it NOW!

GreyianStorm said:
But I want it NOW!

THIS!!!

march last year(kz2)
this year (gow3,ff13)they cant realease it on march

they need a game for summer(last year infamous and mgs4 before that)so here unless they sent it further?

and next holidays maybe agent or something that wasnt announched,it has to be a big name...

Sux, but it will be worth the wait.

Around the Network

I don't care if it comes out Summer 2015, as long as Polyphony Digital is happy with the finished product, and they included everything they set out to.

I can wait.

As in go buy us some coffee.

http://speedhunters.com

Hmmm... this game is like a turtle, SLOW AND STEADY WINS THE GRAN PRIX!!!

Anyway, this is probably a very good idea. Getting away from the battlezone that is Q1 2010 will allow GT5 to be given much more attention. Also, I suspect it'll release in the middle of gaming drought season. This should give GT5 even more attention.

CGI-Quality said:
Sounds official enough to me. The wait for the DEFINITIVE title is nearly over. Break out the champagne!

I just cant have anything to myself can i?

OT: Definitive

Will be worth the wait!

Summer?

Bad pick if you want higher sales.

Not surprising. At first I thought they'd aim for a worldwide release like with GTPSP, but with God of War III, Final Fantasy XIII, and numerous other multiplats dropping in March, things were looking pretty stacked already. Pushing the Western release back a bit gives everything more room to breathe, and fills in a whole in Sony's release window.

So right now it looks like Sony has these titles lined up for next year:

MAG - January
White Knight Chronicles - February
God of War III - March
Heavy Rain - Spring (probably April/May)
Gran Turismo 5 - Summer (June? Maybe as late as July or August, but June sounds best - of course March for Japan)
The Last Guardian, ModNation Racers, Resistance 3 (though I get the feeling R3 will be the first title Insomniac delays, meanwhile Twisted Metal ps3 will surface and drop next year), etc. - Q3/4