By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Super Mario Galaxy bombs in Japan - only sells 130,000 on day 1

DMeisterJ said:
@ foolflexible

Since this games first day sales don't meet expectations, somehow the nubmer is wrong or may be wrong or maybe the source is wrong but I bet if it sold 1,000,000 in the first day, it'd be correct huh?

Also, ppl out there using wikipedia as a source... come on... you can do better than that.

@ Alexie Di Onie

And we've been having first day sales on fridays all the time and many other AAA titles have done well first day sales on the "week day" but now that it's SMG, we need to do first-day sales on the weekend? come on...

Well the 130,000 number comes from some Japanese blog, from what I can tell if your going to knock wikipedia, I don't see how you look upon random bloggers for accurate reporting. With that said I'm not fully doubting the numbers. I'm just saying if you were told any game, sold only 15% of it's preorder figures on day one wouldn't you wonder what's going on? Mario Party performed better, and that's a crappy spin-off game in it's 9th rendition. I'm not someone to cry foul every time a game I like underperforms, this figure just seem to work against the data we already had. And if it sold over a million on day one, I'd have a hard time believing it myself also, I figured more along the lines of 350,000. So personally I'm waiting for the weekly sales data before I start talkin' about why the house of mario just got downsized in Japan. although I will say my concern for this game was that the whole planet with gravity concept would look confusing to many casual gamers, casual gamers are the core of the Wii's audience, and they tend to like mario games, but they tend to like it's classic, simple nature, much like what NSMB presented. It's possible that this new idea turned Nintendo's new audience off. I have a friend with a Wii, that loved SM64 and NSMB and he thought SMG looked to confusing. But again I'd like to wait for the weekly data to finish out before posing any theories.

Around the Network

Just wish for once die hard fans can be honest about something what is not positive to their side, instead of ignore it. For weeks people around here were screaming that Mario Galaxy was going to be boom-bastic in sales from day 1 in Japan. First day sales 300.000+ I read and now the sales prove otherwise, the very same people are screaming others should shut up who say sales are not too good.

Join the Sony fanboy club which have to experience this for months.

I'm sorry, but these sales for such an aticipated game which is the must have for every Nintendo fan and is a game, which suposse to attrack casuals as well core gamers, are "disappointing", wether you like it or not. Of course the release is only a month away from Christmas. Of course I want to see it different as well. I love Mario and this game is my most wanted game on the WII and I "damn" hope sales will go skyrocket during the weekend and we can see a large amount of sales in the charts. But I won't be surprised if we simply won't get to see that. Past sales have proven that already enough for me.

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Supporter of PlayStation and Nintendo

@ Kirby007

Final Fantasy beat pokemon First day?
What is the bull here?

DMeisterJ said:
@ John Lucas,

I know that the 700 k is for japan, I was saying why did you include the American numbers in there...

Off topic, are there Gamestops in Japan?

Back on topic, who preorders games to go pick them up not on the first day...?

No, I was making a point that anything with 700,000 preorders can in no way be considered a bomb. Prepurchased game to the tune of 7/10 of a million so Super Mario Galaxy simply cannot be considered a bomb in any way, shape, form or fashion.

I just put the whole quote for completion's sake. The 400,000 in America is irrelevant.

Underperformed? It has already sold 700,000 before it launched. How in the world can that be underperformed?

There are no Gamestops in Japan that I'm aware of. That sentence is phrased badly. There are two links referencing both countries' preorder status. The first one standing for the Japanese market.

I don't think we're getting the full story about what's going on in Japan 'cause we all know this game is a live hit walking. I'll wait for the figures to come in to make my judgment.

All I know is I got 12 more days to play all these other games before I fall 20,000 leagues deep into Galaxy. Just bought Elebits finally two days after Rampage: Total Destruction. I need to see if I can wrap up Metroid Prime 3 before SMG comes out.

The only bomb in SMG is a walking one with two eyes called Bob-omb. End of message.

John Lucas

Words from the Official VGChartz Idiot

WE ARE THE NATION...OF DOMINATION!

The biggest flop of the current decade. Ouch...

Around the Network

resoning for pre order is initial demand > supply, it is like a garanty u can pick it up as soon as u want .

WTF first day WTF man

I expect that galaxy will multiply first day sales 100 times

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

People chill out (both sides). Yes, 130K is disappointing, but no, that's hardly a bomb. It is a game that sells best over the weekend, and while it's not going to be breaking 500K it could easily be around 350-400K week 1.

As far as lifetime, well anyone who paid attention knew this game was going to be bigger in America and Europe than in Japan. I'd say it sells a little over 2 million lifetime in Japan, which is hardly a bomb. A lot of people had unrealistic expectations for this game.

@footflexible

The first day sales have been on this site for months now, and now that they are not where you want them to be, they are a worse source than wikipedia. No one has ever doubted the first day sales in all the months I've been on here, but now that SMG has done below expectations, it is an unbelievable source...

@John Lucas - You're wrong on this, as is wikipedia. Those were preorders from retailers, not from consumers. That means that they ordered 700,000 of them from Nintendo, and 700,000 of them are going to be on store shelves, not in user's hands.

@DmeisterJ - Crisis Core sold 350k its first day, Pokemon sold 250k. The grand total for the first week was something like 700k (Pokemon) vs. 600k (Crisis Core). Either way, both significantly outsold Galaxy.

DMeisterJ said:
@footflexible

The first day sales have been on this site for months now, and now that they are not where you want them to be, they are a worse source than wikipedia. No one has ever doubted the first day sales in all the months I've been on here, but now that SMG has done below expectations, it is an unbelievable source...

Look, this is start to getting out of hands a bit here

Also, I believe the first day sales that mentioned is from CC:FFVII versus Pokemon Mystery Dungeons from a while back, remember that?

Edit: Beaten to the point 

I am a PC gamer, and also have a NDS now, but without access to a Nintendo Wii until End of 2007.

Currently playing: Super Smash Brothers Brawl(Wii), Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer(DS), Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime (DS), WiiFit(Wii)

Games Recently Beaten: Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King (Normal; Very Hard after the next DLCs become available)

1 word: RTFA