By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Super Mario Galaxy bombs in Japan - only sells 130,000 on day 1

*~Onna76~* said:
Just wish for once die hard fans can be honest about something what is not positive to their side, instead of ignore it. For weeks people around here were screaming that Mario Galaxy was going to be boom-bastic in sales from day 1 in Japan. First day sales 300.000+ I read and now the sales prove otherwise, the very same people are screaming others should shut up who say sales are not too good.

Join the Sony fanboy club which have to experience this for months.

I'm sorry, but these sales for such an aticipated game which is the must have for every Nintendo fan and is a game, which suposse to attrack casuals as well core gamers, are "disappointing", wether you like it or not. Of course the release is only a month away from Christmas. Of course I want to see it different as well. I love Mario and this game is my most wanted game on the WII and I "damn" hope sales will go skyrocket during the weekend and we can see a large amount of sales in the charts. But I won't be surprised if we simply won't get to see that. Past sales have proven that already enough for me.
Once again Onna, all I have to say is QFT!

Around the Network

@ John Lucas

I didn't say the game underperformed, I'm saying the game has not met expectations, people were expecting 300-500k for the first day and 750k-1mil for the first week and I'm just saying it's not going to meet that with these first day sales

@ Kirby 007
I was saying to all the people that said that people pre-ordered it and didn't pick it up, who pre-orders a game and doesn't pick it up the first day. I've never heard that theory about any other highly anticipated game so it makes me believe that the 700k pre-order number may be false or at the very least overstated... If I pre-order a game, I definetly pick it up the first day, especially if it is a AAA title.

choirsoftheeye said:
@John Lucas - You're wrong on this, as is wikipedia. Those were preorders from retailers, not from consumers. That means that they ordered 700,000 of them from Nintendo, and 700,000 of them are going to be on store shelves, not in user's hands.

@DmeisterJ - Crisis Core sold 350k its first day, Pokemon sold 250k. The grand total for the first week was something like 700k (Pokemon) vs. 600k (Crisis Core). Either way, both significantly outsold Galaxy.

Yeah, I just read that a few seconds ago tracing back the links.

They should have clarified that. Retailer preorders don't mean much of a hill of beans it's customer preorders that matter. I saw a link behind the Wikipedia sentence so I figured it had proper sourcing. I know better than to take Wikipedia's word for everything but when something is sourced you know it's not just coming out of someone's ass.

This is very weird. If this number is legit, for the first time ever I might have to say something is wrong with Japan. At least THIS one time anyway.

This game is just excellence and it's backed by the best. No excuse for it not to be a blockbuster. I know handhelds are the primary consoles there now but come on this is Galaxy for God's sake. This ain't Pool Party, this ain't Rockstar presents Table Tennis. This is motherfarthing Galaxy we're talking about here.

Something ain't right here. Somebody dropped the ball. I think whatever it is will clear itself up by the weekend.

No way in hell did SMG bomb. If ANY game deserves not to bomb it's that one. Luigi's in it for God's sake! The Bros. are back. Get it together over there, y'all! Hahahahaha!

John Lucas

Words from the Official VGChartz Idiot

WE ARE THE NATION...OF DOMINATION!

Just wanted to bring out something: the Japanese blog that reported the 130,000 figure for SMG also report the 700,000 preorder figure, and explained the preorder figure was from Nintendo themselves. Although they seem to express some doubt over the number considering SMS sales, but I'm not entirely clear on that because the translation is so bad.

@Takkxyz

I'm not talking about CC:FFVII or Pokemon. I'm talking about people saying that even with these first day sales, it'll still sell 700k the first week.

Around the Network
DMeisterJ said:
@ John Lucas

I didn't say the game underperformed, I'm saying the game has not met expectations, people were expecting 300-500k for the first day and 750k-1mil for the first week and I'm just saying it's not going to meet that with these first day sales

@ Kirby 007
I was saying to all the people that said that people pre-ordered it and didn't pick it up, who pre-orders a game and doesn't pick it up the first day. I've never heard that theory about any other highly anticipated game so it makes me believe that the 700k pre-order number may be false or at the very least overstated... If I pre-order a game, I definetly pick it up the first day, especially if it is a AAA title.

U!! aren't the whole demography

DMJ  "I'm not talking about CC:FFVII or Pokemon. I'm talking about people saying that even with these first day sales, it'll still sell 700k the first week."

will see will we

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Compared to the predictions that were being made in The Sources thread these number would indicate that most at this site greatly overestimated the selling power of this game. I figured you all were crazy...

I think this bears repeating:

This sales data is from a BLOG. This does not necessarily mean that it is false. However it hardly makes it official either. As far as I know we do NOT have any data that is more reliable than that. Before anyone jumps to a conclusion (either for failure or for success) we need to ensure we have a reliable source of data. And yes, some of you will undoubtedly label this fanboy prattle, but I'd like to think everyone on this site realises that blogs are hardly the gold standard for sales figures.

this is a story of it

http://www.siliconera.com/2007/11/01/akihabara-adventure-obtaining-super-mario-galaxy/

well people, it's not like we thought it should be.

In the end, can we just all agree to let's wait and see? I need to get back to work.

I am a PC gamer, and also have a NDS now, but without access to a Nintendo Wii until End of 2007.

Currently playing: Super Smash Brothers Brawl(Wii), Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer(DS), Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime (DS), WiiFit(Wii)

Games Recently Beaten: Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King (Normal; Very Hard after the next DLCs become available)

1 word: RTFA