By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Super Mario Galaxy bombs in Japan - only sells 130,000 on day 1

The sales are dissapointing. But I wouldn't call it a bomb considering it's still likely going to outsell most games and make back the money invested in it along with some profit on top.

Bomb is usually reserved for titles like Battlefield Earth that set a company back money wise because nobody is seeing it.

Around the Network

@ Gamerace

We're not fanboys here, we just want some fairness...  This game underperformed, that's all I want to hear.  It's not that people want to gloat, it's just that people want to say how bad any AAA title does on any system if it's first day sales are around where SMG is but in this case, these first day sales are messed up, or unbelievable...  But if it had performed up to expectations, no one would question this source of our first day sales... that's all I'm saying.

Vengi said:
takkxyz, you really have to play the bonus levels of portal, they are great....if you don't have a problem with motion sickness that is
The time trials will have you thinking "oh my...how could i have been so blind"

OT
First day sales of a big game tend to be pretty misleading they rarely affect the final sales of the a game, lets at least wait for the first week sales before claiming that it "bombed".

btw what was the install based of the DS when NSMB launched?

I'd really like to, but I get extremly motion sickness over some of the levels. The same went for Half-Life 2 and it's episodes. Basically the only game that I play without motion sickness is Team Fortress 2.

On-Topic: Perhaps it is true that Mario Galaxy may bomb... but we usually compare the first-week anyway, first-day is not always necessarily indicative of the whole trend.  

I am a PC gamer, and also have a NDS now, but without access to a Nintendo Wii until End of 2007.

Currently playing: Super Smash Brothers Brawl(Wii), Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer(DS), Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime (DS), WiiFit(Wii)

Games Recently Beaten: Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King (Normal; Very Hard after the next DLCs become available)

1 word: RTFA

Anything with 700,000 preorders is never a bomb.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Mario_Galaxy

"Super Mario Galaxy (スーパーマリオギャラクシー Sūpā Mario Gyarakushī?) is a 3D action-platformer game developed by [3]Nintendo EAD Tokyo and published by Nintendo for the Wii. It is currently the most preordered Wii software title, with 700,000 in Japan, and 400,000 in the U.S. placed through Gamestop stores.[4][5]"

John Lucas 

Words from the Official VGChartz Idiot

WE ARE THE NATION...OF DOMINATION!

DMeisterJ said:

@ Gamerace

We're not fanboys here, we just want some fairness... This game underperformed, that's all I want to hear. It's not that people want to gloat, it's just that people want to say how bad any AAA title does on any system if it's first day sales are around where SMG is but in this case, these first day sales are messed up, or unbelievable... But if it had performed up to expectations, no one would question this source of our first day sales... that's all I'm saying.

First day on a weekday at sales of 130,000 is underperforming! Im sorry this thread fails so hard, A half million total for the week (or close to it) is a great start, notice how it is the Sony people who say it underperformed........

Xbox Live Gamertag - Deathscythe X

AIM SN - Alexie Di Onie

Around the Network

John Lucas, we're talking about Japan, not America...

Im still surprised that sony fans are the only ones arguing that it bombed when its going to outsell everything on the ps3 on its first week :|

carlos710 - Capitán Primero: Nintendo Defense Force

"Wii are legion, for Wii are many"

DMeisterJ said:
@Tabsina I should rephrase what I said. If any other game sold 130K the first week, people would not be acting delusional and say that the game can still move between 600k-750k for the first week, GENERALLY, the sales for the week are 2-2.5x that of the first day sales (somewhere around there) which would put SMG at MAX 325k for the first week. It's just weird how that this game will magically sell between four and six times the first day sales when the most amount of people who buy a game buy it on the first day. I don't recall recently of games that had first days of 130k going on to sell 600-750k during the first week (though I may be wrong). Also, there are pics of the launch on a number of websites of the game sitting on shelves and no one buying it... I'm just sayin.

I totally get where your coming from, because your right about what to expect from the first week, but this isn't just about Wii hype and Mario's popular franchise. Many people have been reading news like this:

http://www.videogamesblogger.com/2007/10/04/japanese-super-mario-galaxy-pre-orders-exceed-700000.htm

Stories like this that tout 700,000 preorders, made people expect a million seller for week one. And your figuring in your head more people will preorder prior to launch, more will pick it up without a preorder. I mean right now with sales projections it won't surpass Dragon Quest: Swords first week, that was a spinoff title released midsummer with medicore reviews. Seriously? This just doesn't make sense, forget fanboyism, I understand people questioning the figures. 

@ Alexie Di Onie

If you read the post you'd understand that I didn't say the game has bombed, I'm saying for it to be a AAA game that everyone was hoping to sell millions of units, it doesn't look too good, that's all I'm saying. The game has done well in terms of a regular game but a AAA game like SMG should have sold better.

@carlos710
PS4 said it bombed, everyone else said its disappointing. And please 130 k in a day for the main mario title? Pathetic. The user base is 2 mil more. It SHOULD SELL MORE THAN A PS3 TITLES.

@ John Lucas
Maybe you should tell the 570k users who preordered it to go get it. Wikipedia? c'mon you can do better than that!

I'll take the case!!!