By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Super Mario Galaxy bombs in Japan - only sells 130,000 on day 1

Oh yeah, i forgot to add, when was the last game in Japan to sell +100k units on it's first day? Usually new games sell somewhere in the 50-80k units level when it comes out. It's Japan you know.

Deep into the darkness pearing

Long i stood there

Wondering

Fearing

Doubting. 

Around the Network
Wojtas said:
Well...it's the first day dude....Usually we say that something bombed when after a week of sales a game like MArio sales beneath that. I mean look at Ratchet&Clank, which sold <100k. no one said that the game bombed..

Oh yes. Let's wait until SM:G launches in the US and Europe before making such assumptions.

Actually, there were sufficient people commenting on the R&C sales in a negative way with PS3 owners pointing out wide release being a week later. And no, we dont have to wait until US and Europe release to say whether day one sales were meeting expectations in JAPAN. 

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

As was pointed out in the thread you linked, the game's first day at the market was a Thursday. Expect sales to surge over the weekend.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

Japan has gotten some big games recently on each of it's platforms and they have performed under expectations.

I think Japan is still in a slump. Even the system sales are still low compared to the rest of the year.

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.

WTH is going on in Japan???

They are supposed to be in an inflation period.... then how the h"$% is demand declining????

Hopefully Mario will cross the million mark in the US during its first week....

Man, I really wanted this game to pass the 12 million mark... now I'm not so sure if it will cross the 10 mark...

Nintendo should start giving more promo to its games... We're just so close to christmas...

Around the Network

Well let's talk about expectations for Japan then, did you think that it would sell like Mario 64? 1 million units in practically one day? Seeing as how the market in Japan has changed over the years i was sure as hell that the game wouldn't sell in gigantic numbers.

Deep into the darkness pearing

Long i stood there

Wondering

Fearing

Doubting. 

pobladofx said:
WTH is going on in Japan???

They are supposed to be in an inflation period.... then how the h"$% is demand declining????

Hopefully Mario will cross the million mark in the US during its first week....

Man, I really wanted this game to pass the 12 million mark... now I'm not so sure if it will cross the 10 mark...

Nintendo should start giving more promo to its games... We're just so close to christmas...

You know, it took Nintendogs a week to reach 172k but now it's close to 15 million.  First day sales aren't going to determine how well this game does in the long run.  If the game really is as amazing as it seems then I have no doubt it will sell and sell well.  I don't expect it to sell like halo where all the sales take place in the first few weeks. I expect this game to sell well over a much longer period of time.

Smash Bros: 2363-5325-6342 

wait--how is 130,000 a bomb title? most ps3 games dont hit that number til after a few weeks on teh shelves--so i am confused

@PS4:

You're forgetting that a large up of people preordered that game, so they didn't need to go in on the first day to buy the game, they can wait until the weekend

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

This guy has got to be joking. No one this stupid can learn to type.