By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Super Mario Galaxy bombs in Japan - only sells 130,000 on day 1

We will see how it sells by next Thursday before declare a disaster. We have no idea how Nintendo plans on marketing SM:G in the long run, but they will make sure it has some legs.

I do have to say that I am disappointed like you are, I was expecting the Megaton. But that's what happens when you expect so much.

My prediction for the Japanese numbers are:
400k by Thursday.
900k by DEc 1
1.2M by Jan 1
4.0M lifetime

Check out the VGC Crunch this Podcast and Blog at www.tsnetcast.com

Around the Network

ps4 = sony???

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

130k isn't that bad for first day. I mean it may be a little lower than expected. But it is Nintendo. Since when do they ever do enough marketing. if they did with Galaxy what Xbox did with Halo then it would have sold heaps more. And there are only 3.7million or so Wii owners in Japan. There not all going to buy the thing on the first day.

And who knows, the numbers couldn't be completely accurate. It will still probably be the best selling game in the long run anyway. I wouldn't worry too much about first day sales.

There seems to be a movement away from consoles and into handhelds in Japan. I think if Mario Galaxy were on DS it would have sold better lol :P

How many threads do we need about that 130k number? You create a thread and link to another one?

I vote for a close here!

you guys should stop personally attacking someone cause he thinks 130K is not a good start for SMG. I think he has a valid point in that 130K is nothing spectacular for the follow up of SM64.

Why all the hate? Its not like he insulted you or anything.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

Around the Network

I was expecting more too, but we do have to wait for the full weeks data, I do recall hearing 700,000 people preordered, so I'm still confused as to why such a small percentage bought in on day one, is there something else going on?

why are you hating for this game is going destroy everything it path and so what it first day did not sell so much we don't judge games on the first do we. we judge them on it life span and this game sir will sell allot. i love halo 3 but i still think Mario going to blow it out the sky

it not who i am but what i do that defines me. you'll never walk alone you'll never walk alone walk on walk on.

Hey guys no need for the attacks. I'm just saying that most people would have predicted something like 600,000 week one, so 300,000-350,000 on the first day, it has barely done a third of that and will do well to reach 300,000 by the end of the week. That makes it one of the biggest titles of the year still, but it pales in comparison to New SMB or even stuff like Brain Training.

For a title this hyped (that is the big difference with Nintendogs) then it should have sold a lot better.

WOW first of all this guys name is PS4=SONY so of course hes gonna try to start a flame war but anyways back on subject...THIS IS JAPAN, Halo 3 sold like 60,783 copies its first week in Japan(look at the number) and nobody said it bombed and they say Mario is on its way to probally selling 600k by the end of the week so no buddy it didn't bomb, its really good for first week over there.

Wii COLLECTION:Legend Of Zelda TP, Super Paper Mario, Wi Play, Resident Evil 4, Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3
Xbox 360 COLLECTION:Mass Effect, Gears Of War, Halo 3, Rumble Roses(Im Ashamed) , Call Of Duty 4
PS3 COLLECTION:Ninja Gaiden Sigma, Ratchet And Clank, Uncharted: Drakes Fortune

"MUST HAVE TITLES"
Zack & Wiki, Medal Of Honor: Heroes, Rygar : Battle Of Argus, Tales Of Symphonia: Knight Of RatatosK, Super Smash Bros: Brawl, No More Heroes, Final Fantasy: Crystal Cronicles 2, Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, Soul Calibur: Legends, Mario Kart:Wii , Battalion War:II, Assassin's Creed, God Of War 3, Ninja Gaiden II, White Knight Chronicles, Disagea 3, Resident Evil 5,

"END OF THE YEAR PREDICTIONS"
|Wii- 40.46 Million | Xbox 360- 32.52 Million | PS3- 31.50 Million|

So mario galaxy is going to outsell all the ps3 games on its first week :O amazing.

carlos710 - Capitán Primero: Nintendo Defense Force

"Wii are legion, for Wii are many"